No announcement yet.

Antelope Hunting - Can’t be that hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pronghorn Antelope is an easy hunt. It is a difficult hunt if you want a record book type trophy. If all you want is a representative of the species, that will be easy but if you want trophy class you will need to spend a lot more time scouting and looking at a lot of goats.

They are difficult to judge if you don't know what to look for but hunting them can be one of the most enjoyable social outings you can do. I enjoy the heck out of it every year. In fact, this year I did not draw a tag but have been out scouting with a friend who has a tag as does his 16 year old daughter. We go spend the day scouting and looking at a lot of goats trying to find one that is trophy class. Spending quality time in the country with friends is never a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by bear View Post
      Out of curiosity who is he hunting with? OR where? I have a good bud Cody Mathews who is guiding a couple guys bowhunting lopes today..... be pretty cool if this was the same guys

We hunted with Cody last weekend. Good guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
        Oh, jeez. Take that regions of texas argument to the other thread I thought females DO have horns. If not, my distinguishing features question looks pretty silly now.
        They can have horns. But are usually little nubbins compared to the bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
          My antelope experience is limited to the episodes of MeatEater on NF. What are the distinguishing features between male/female that you are seeing in such a poor photo?

Besides horns. Males are going to have the black markings below their ears. Females will not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
            They can have horns. But are usually little nubbins compared to the bucks.
            This.

We killed an OLD mature doe and had maybe thumb sized nub horns.

Comment

From my experience, hunting antelope is hardest on the bowhunter as it is a day long sit in a blind that is hot, when antelope come into water they seem to stop at 100 yards and watch for a long time, close to an hour at times, until they are sure it is safe, but when they make the decision to come in they come on in quickly. Antelope seem to see better far away than close due to their eye positions on their heads, so once they come in you can draw and get away with a little more than you can a white-tail. the main thing no one told me when I started hunting them is their hair comes off the hide very easily, so be careful getting one out of the field....

Comment

Working...
              X