Looking at new Dodges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha oh man it’s the age old debate who’s better lol

Ford makes a great truck that performs well (I actually like their looks) but they have know issues....injectors, turbos, electrical

Dodge makes a great truck that performs well, but they have known issues...transmission, electrical, etc

Chevy makes a great truck that performs well, but they have known issues, injectors, electrical, etc

Ford and Ram have led the industry with their towing capacity the last few years but I’m pretty sure Chevy is about to blow their socks off (look at the new Chevy 2500 weights, the 2500 is in the same weight class as ford and Ram)

I’ve owned Chevy, ford and Ram....all have left me walking before....but that was largely in my part due to the lack of maintenance, partially because of driving habits, but the main reason I stuck with Ram for my tow vehicle is because my last Ram (08 mega cab) had 356,000 miles on it and ran like a champ....yes I had to replace the normal things, u-joints, shocks etc...but had to replace the transmission several times....just got tires of the weakness in the 68RFE. Manual transmission is better for towing because you select the gear, auto is better for everything else lol

Buy what you like, take care of it, and be happy...that’s it [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post

Ford 450 h.p.
      935 torque

GM 445 h.p.
      910 torque

Ram 370 h.p
      850 torque
      2020 Powerstroke has
      475 h.p
      1,050 torque

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        And when was the last time you owned one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        I've never owned a Dodge, always Fords. My buddy owns an aftermarket auto repair place and my comments are based on his observations over the last 30 years and north of 1,000 trucks. I value his opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
          2020 Powerstroke has

475 h.p

1,050 torque

I’m not sure what the exact numbers are for ram but that looks low....2019 they were the first to break 1000 foot pound of torque...don’t know why they would go backwards.

But never the less all three are close to the same....which brings me back to one of my first statements....go with what ya like, can afford and who cares about the rest haha

Comment

Originally posted by ebtksutton View Post
            I’m not sure what the exact numbers are for ram but that looks low....2019 they were the first to break 1000 foot pound of torque...don’t know why they would go backwards.

But never the less all three are close to the same....which brings me back to one of my first statements....go with what ya like, can afford and who cares about the rest haha

That’s literally higher than anyone else is, or has ever been. Dodge is 1000 lbs and 400 for their 1 tons only. RAM is 370 and 850 for their 3/4 tons.
            Last edited by TX03RUBI; 09-27-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              This is my favorite TBH truck guy narrative...

"I've had 5 (name your brand) and never had trouble with any of'em....and I work'em hard! My '08, '10, '11, '13, and '16 models pulled my mule awesome, even with 25 bags of corn in the back! That '16 is gettin up around 60k thought so I may trade in."
              I mean at least the example above is based on someones actual quantifiable experience.

Wouldn't you agree it would be worse to say
              "don't get "truck A" because they fall apart"
              or
              "My uncles, brother in laws, friend had "truck B" and it aint worth a darn!"

Those types of comment aren't based on anything seemingly... I mean it's possible to still work a vehicle hard without towing large trailers isn't it?

Comment

Guy that lives in my RV park is a Ram guy. He bought a 2018 Ram 4x4 2500 and the drive shaft literally fell out of it on the way home and tore all kinds of stuff up under the truck. The A/C is out on it now and they can't figure out how to fix it. But it has almost 8,000 miles on it so I guess it's lasted longer than most.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                  Guy that lives in my RV park is a Ram guy. He bought a 2018 Ram 4x4 2500 and the drive shaft literally fell out of it on the way home and tore all kinds of stuff up under the truck. The A/C is out on it now and they can't figure out how to fix it. But it has almost 8,000 miles on it so I guess it's lasted longer than most.

Ouch....that’s all I can say on that lol

Comment

Just look, buy a Ford. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                      I've never owned a Dodge, always Fords. My buddy owns an aftermarket auto repair place and my comments are based on his observations over the last 30 years and north of 1,000 trucks. I value his opinion.

I have personal experience owning no less than 5 Dodge/Ram trucks and have had great luck with all of them. I’ve never experienced any of the “fall apart around the engine” with any of them. And I’ll readily admit that I don’t take the best care of them cosmetically. Mechanically I’m diligent with any maintenance or repairs that may pop up.

* 1976 Power Wagon
                      * 1983 1500 long bed
                      * 1992 Dakota
                      * 1996 1500 extended cab
                      * 2012 2500 crew cab diesel.

The 4th gen Rams are a huge step above past generations. And the 2019+ trucks have the best interior by far of any of the “big 3”.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                        That’s literally higher than anyone else is, or has ever been. Dodge is 1000 lbs and 400 for their 1 tons only. RAM is 370 and 850 for their 3/4 tons.

Yeah everybody knew Ford was going to step it up in the numbers.

I don’t see Chevy or Ram making a move up in the near future.

I suppose it’s great to say that you can tow up to 32,500# 5th wheel.....but since nobody is making hitches rated for that it’s all for marketing.

Realistically any of them will tow well in excess of what most folks will ever hook to them.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                          Our fleet was all Dodge until 2014. I had a 2500 Cummins lose the brakes on me while running 80 down the highway, and about 30 miles away we had another hand send a driveshaft through the floor running 65 within 15 minutes of mine. Up until that point we had a LOT of failures, but they wouldn’t step away from RAM. Those two incidents alone put us in new Duramaxes overnight.

Comment

I suppose it’s great to say that you can tow up to 32,500# 5th wheel.....but since nobody is making hitches rated for that it’s all for marketing.

Realistically any of them will tow well in excess of what most folks will ever hook to them.

Yes sir! They’re all more than capable, but I don’t mind a little extra. Just wish they’d quit adding a little extra to the price though

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
                              I’m a Ram guy. I’ve owned a 12, 14, 16, and now on a 2018 3500 mega cab. No problems with any of them. But I only put around 70-80k on them and get a new one. Ive pulled big cattle trailers to my 37’ dove tail with 20k lbs on it. They have all been good trucks. I like Fords and the way they run. I have many friends and family members that own Ford Diesels. With that being said I can’t think of one of them that hasn’t had problems with their Ford. Until I see Fords not having issues I won’t own one and fuel mileage isn’t no where near a Cummins. Just what I’ve seen.
                              Are the fords having more than 70k being put on them? What issues are the fords having?

Comment

Exactly.

Add to that the fact that no one is making a pickup spec’d to handle the pin weight of a 32,500# 5th wheel.

Drive them all and buy whatever suits your tastes and budget. Barring a lemon, you’ll get your money’s worth out of any of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X