No announcement yet.

6.5 creedmoor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been shooting/hunting with one for a few years and have been pretty happy with it. It's on the light side for elk, but will work just fine if you do your part (and know its limitations) Me and my wife have killed easily shot over 30 animals so far with no issues. Out of all those critters nothing has run over 30-40 yards after impact, shot distances ranged from 50-600 yards (9 animals over 500yards)

The only ammo I have shot is the cheap Hornady America gunner 140 grain ($150.00 for 200rounds) out of the 3 rifles I've run it out of, its been under MOA on all of them (down to .6 moa)

The bang for the buck of this round is hard not beat (I haven't found anything that touches it for the cost of ammo, accuracy, light recoil)

Obviously, it's not a magnum cartridge and comparing it is kinda apples and oranges.
    Last edited by tradslam; 07-11-2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I am not a “fad” guy.
      I have 3 .270’s. Old fashioned, right? But my tc compass 6.5 CR for deer and pigs is a good match without the extra recoil and has great accuracy.
      Ammo is less than $20/box

Comment

I've only taken 2 animals with my 6.5 CM.

Pronghorn at 75 yards, 143 ELDx, shot straight on with no exit wound and he did a backflip.

East Texas Buck 125 yards 123 SST, shot right behind shoulder with 1.5" exit hole, DRT.

I'm enjoying the "fad" and will keep my Creedmoor.

That said, I've purchased a 6.5 Grendel that I'll be experimenting with just because I like the ballistics.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

It's not a "fad" anymore

I don't understand why people are so against it. It's like a 7mm-08...splits the difference between a 243 and 308. Perfect for TX.

Comment

Ask M16, he chimes in on every single 6.5cm thread to say how bad a round it is. I’m sure he can explain why

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
              Ask M16, he chimes in on every single 6.5cm thread to say how bad a round it is. I’m sure he can explain why
              Nah, he did good today. See post #30

Comment

Really? This again?

Comment

I have one. Great gun great round. I still like my 308 better

Comment

[ATTACH]963261[/ATTACH]

Comment

Love mine

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                        With which bullet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Hornady 129 SST

Comment

I have a couple of 6.5 CM rifles. I had the thermal on one for a while. Bullet selection is very important. The Hornady Black seems like the bullets are soft and prone to fragment on pigs. Forget the Amax, they explode. The American Whitetail is decent, but the Hornady Full Boar stuff is great. The solid copper holds together and retains weight well. Pass they'd are the norm on even big hogs. I found a box of the old Hornady 160 gr. RN pills to try, but haven't got the opportunity to do so yet.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                            I'm sorry they didn't teach reading comprehension where you went to school.

I don't as a rule criticize any caliber that I haven't used before. I hadn't planned on joining the 6.5 creedmoor bandwagon but a good deal on a custom rifle came along. I couldn't resist. Being a gun whore isn't easy. It's not that I thought that there was anything wrong with the caliber. It's just that I had numerous 6.5 calibers already. Including .260, 6.5 grendel, 6.5X284, and a .264 Winchester Magnum.

I've only shot one animal so far with the Creedmoor. A big boar hog that took a bullet to the brain. Needless to say he dropped on the spot. Just like he would have with many other calibers. So I don't have enough game killing experience with the round to not like it.

I'm willing to bet it will do just fine. Bullet selection in most cases is more important than the cartridge.

I hope you got in on the deal alert that I posted for some 6.5 Creedmoor brass. I've got an extra 500 rounds to get loaded up. I'm planning on using mine this season.

Comment

I have Rem 783 HB 24" in 6.5 CM... it shoots 140gr ELDMs into little .4" holes at 100 yards. Can't wait to try it out on game. It is only about 100fps behind my 6.5x284 which performed admirably on deer sized game.

If I were going to hunt elk with a 6.5CM I would definitely pick a bullet other than an ELDM but it's great for thin skinned animals.

My only elk kill fell to an arrow so I can't speak on terminal performance for an animal that size. My .308 + 168gr Amax killed a Red Stag just fine but it barely flinched, turned straight away from me and then tipped over about 15 seconds later. I prefer a bit more visible reaction... like dropping.

For elk- a true trophy hunt with a rifle for me... I'm bringing something bigger, either my .338wm for 300 yards and in... or my .300 Norma for the way out theres.

Comment

Whitetail thumper for sure. I shoot the 140 eldm. Have killed them from 60 yds out to 445yds and have not had a single one live. Never have hunted elk with it but 300 and in I would not hesitate pulling the trigger. Going to play with the 6.5 prc a little this season. Going to shoot the 147 eldm in that

Comment

Working...
                                X