Hunting Guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Guides

“Hunters like to talk about the shrewdness and sagacity of back-country guides. The truth is most guides aren’t smart enough to hold down a steady job at the local sawmill, and are obliged to choose between guiding or burglary. And although burglars meet a better class of people, the hours are not attractive”

Ed Zern (1946)

Bout sums it up right there !

I disagree. I guided for 4 years in NM and I have a college degree, did this between jobs. I am now a Special Education teacher in Lubbock.

I loved working with the hunters, although some could be *******s. "I have never hunted elk before, but I know more than you even though you have killed elk with a bow up close at 4 yards so listen to me!"

Comment

You do know that Ed Zern was a humorist and this was written to be funny.

An Ed Zern quote that I always found funny:
      "The truth is, fish have very little sex life. If you have ever tried to make love under water, you will know why."

Comment

The few guides I have met always struck me as being very hunt smart, but very life dumb. Everyone gotta get by doing something!

Comment

Thank you Phillip
          Last edited by Johnny44; 05-16-2019, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Kudos on utilization of sagacity. ��

Comment

Yep, or they hire retards(literally) as helpers, and they steal all your liquor out of the creek the first day, and your 26 miles back in the bitterroots.

Comment

Sometimes reality is the best humor. I think me and Ed realize this. I'm a humorist too.

Comment

Maybe the “guides” in Texas that only drive you to a stand and drop you off. Can’t be dumb in the mountains, they will win every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                    Maybe the “guides” in Texas that only drive you to a stand and drop you off. Can’t be dumb in the mountains, they will win every time.
                    Some states and country’s require some schooling ( basic emt , navigation and comp ) then require a apprenticeship with a outfitter before any licensing
                    In Texas some ranches are just fill up the feeders and don’t let the hunters kill X Y or Z buck , and gut it

Comment

Working...
                    X