Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drew a Montana Mule deer tag..which rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drew a Montana Mule deer tag..which rifle?

I will be hunting muleys in Montana this November. We expect the max distance around 500yrds. I have a choice of 2 rifles. I own both of these rifles and have hunted white tails with both.
    Browning A-Bolt Medallion 25-06
    Custom Sporter 30-06 (my dad had built prolly 50 years ago)
    You opinion?
    Thanks

Having hunted and shot muleys up north and in Texas I would be taking the .30-06 and don't be afraid to keep hammering on him until he hits the ground. They can take a beating. But if your more comfortable with the .25-06 it would be a fine choice as well with a good bonded bullet.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Really, which ever one you shoot better.

I guess another consideration is what bullets do these guns shoot well? If the 30-06 really loves 180 grain bullets and nothing else, while the 25-06 likes 120 grains bullets, look at trajectories. You can guess which one will have less drop.

Comment

30-06

Comment

The 25-06 likes the 120's. I have not tried 180's in the 30-06 but that was my next trial.
          Thanks for the opinions keep em coming.

Comment

30-06

Comment

I like the 30.06

Comment

30.06 and start shooting out to 500 if you expect that to be your max range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Surely someone thinks you need a 300 RUM-- come on GS. Those muleys are tough animals. Somebody's plugged one three or four times with a 338 and not been able to recover, which means you might need a 50.

Comment

The 25-06 will certainly kill a big bodied mule deer with a good shot and well made bullets but will not have the knock down power the 30-06 will have. A marginal shot with the 25-06 may lead to a trailing job, same can happen with the 30-06 as well but........
                    I would take the 30-06 and not take a 500 yd shot at a buck.

Comment

I’ve taken a couple in Montana and used a featherweight 30-06. I’m nowhere near an expert on the 25-06 so I’m going to vote for the 30-06 due to lack of knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                        Surely someone thinks you need a 300 RUM-- come on GS. Those muleys are tough animals. Somebody's plugged one three or four times with a 338 and not been able to recover, which means you might need a 50.
                        I can’t believe no one’s said anything about a 6.5 CM yet.

OP good luck whatever you decide. I’m a little jealous.

Comment

I have shot Montana Muleys with both a 257 wby and a 7 mag. This is fairly close to what your choices are. Both killed my muleys equally dead. Take the gun you feel shoots the best and you can carry the farthest.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Man View Post
                            I have shot Montana Muleys with both a 257 wby and a 7 mag. This is fairly close to what your choices are. Both killed my muleys equally dead. Take the gun you feel shoots the best and you can carry the farthest.
                            Best advice yet. I got mine last year at less than 50 yards. That stalk was fun. Good luck this year, what side of the state are you hunting?

Comment

My wife hunts them with a 223/243 here. Most drop on the spot or before making it to cover.

Comment

Working...
                              X