30-06 vs 6.5 creedmoor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30-06 vs 6.5 creedmoor

Would a 6.5 have any issues for a black bear hunt or would you rather opt for a 30-06? These are the two calibers I have.

Never shot a black bear but I always hear they aren't that tough. I bet either is just fine

Comment

I wouldnt be scared to shoot one with a 140 gr bullet out of that 6.5 now if this is Alaska or canada grizz country would drag along the .30-06

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

6.5 will be fine seen a few killed with 30/30 though

Comment

6.5 CM will definitely take a black bear if aiming for lungs not shoulder

Comment

Do you plan on shooting the bear at a mile or more?

Comment

It’ll be in Colorado and I’d like to keep it under 300 yards.

Comment

Either one. If it were me, whichever was lighter and easier to carry. Pays to remember that the grizzly bear nearly became extinct in the lower 48 states because of the .30/30 Winchester.

Comment

6.5 gets you beat up. 30-06 earns respect everywhere you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                    6.5 gets you beat up. 30-06 earns respect everywhere you go.
                    Do you have experience with a 6.5?

Comment

A black bear has fur, but is thin skinned. I own both a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 30.06. I do not favor favor one caliber over another caliber as to an automatic kill. Shot placement is the key, regardless of the caliber. With a 6.5, I would recommend the 140 gr. bullet. Stay off the shoulder and aim for the middle of the middle and you will take out lungs and have you a bear.

I have killed 3 with a bow. I have been around a lot of skinnings and seen the anatomy of the animal and the damage done with a broadhead. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo1 View Post
                        A black bear has fur, but is thin skinned. I own both a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 30.06. I do not favor favor one caliber over another caliber as to an automatic kill. Shot placement is the key, regardless of the caliber. With a 6.5, I would recommend the 140 gr. bullet. Stay off the shoulder and aim for the middle of the middle and you will take out lungs and have you a bear.

I have killed 3 with a bow. I have been around a lot of skinnings and seen the anatomy of the animal and the damage done with a broadhead. Best of luck.
                        Thanks for the info. I believe I’ll take the 6.5 as it’s a lighter rifle. I’m going to be bow hunting elk but I’ll have a bear tag with me as well.

Comment

I dont think i would use the eldx bullet on a bear, from reports i have read on this forum. I would want a well constructed deep penetrating bullet. I am working on some nosler partitions for 130 gr, and nosler ballistic tips in 140 gr. At least i will when i can get to the range.
                          But if i had an 06, i would use that, but thats me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
                            Do you have experience with a 6.5?
                            None, other than GS. It's like the tundra of TBH.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                              None, other than GS. It's like the tundra of TBH.
                              You got that right!! Never seen so many Tundra experts that have never used one. That being said let me make a small comparison. Ive shot several whitetails, 2hogs, and 1 javelina with a grendel and they all fell within 15 yards. I would have no problem shooting a black bear with a 6.5 creedmore althoughIve never hunted black bear.
                              Last edited by Walker; 03-29-2020, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X