No announcement yet.

Abbot's Executive Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep asking what is the end game. Is this virus going to magically disappear on April 30th. Will enough people have been exposed to it by then that we will have the herd immunity to it? Or is it simply a date thrown out there because the Powers know people arent going to sit in place until June 30th, or Sept 30th. I really cant understand what is supposed to be magical about April 30. It seems to me that by then only a very small percentage of the people in the US will have contracted the illness by then.

I still say in the big picture the cure is going to be way worse than the disease.
    Last edited by rtp; 04-01-2020, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
      And it’s not 2-4 weeks. Texas is not projected to top out until May from what the current virus guru around here says. I think they are all just guessing. He said 30% infected are walking around with minor cold symptoms and will never do more than take OTC meds.

Depends on whose projections you want to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree Dale. It’s all a guessing game. I gotta listen to these guys several times a week and they change from Monday to today. Obviously they are like weathermen

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          And it’s not 2-4 weeks. Texas is not projected to top out until May from what the current virus guru around here says. I think they are all just guessing. He said 30% infected are walking around with minor cold symptoms and will never do more than take OTC meds.
          We normally just call that allergies.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
            We normally just call that allergies.

This time of year my allergies get up and I have a scratchy throat most of the time. It worries me what I’ll drag home to the fam.

I wish I’d brought my little deer lease camper home so I could just stay at work for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dale moser View Post
              this time of year my allergies get up and i have a scratchy throat most of the time. It worries me what i’ll drag home to the fam.

I wish i’d brought my little deer lease camper home so i could just stay at work for a while.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
              [ATTACH]997997[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                I keep asking what is the end game. Is this virus going to magically disappear on April 30th. Will enough people have been exposed to it by then that we will have the herd immunity to it? Or is it simply a date thrown out there because the Powers know people arent going to sit in place until June 30th, or Sept 30th. I really cant understand what is supposed to be magical about April 30. It seems to me that by then only a very small percentage of the people in the US will have contracted the illness by then.

I still say in the big picture the cure is going to be way worse than the disease.
                I think if they said September people would probably just become even more panicked or skeptical , but it’s probably here till someone finds a way to slow it down, it’s a zero sum prediction unfortunately
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-01-2020, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Personally, I'm fortunate to work for an "essential" employer (Home Depot), which has provided extra sick time, if needed, plus extra hazard pay when working. Of course, we are exposed to dozens of potentially-infected customers daily -- even though 6-feet distance parameters are in place, etc.

Larger picture: has to be an overall balancing of health issues and a healthy economy -- which can certainly have drastic life and death consequences for all of us.

I actually think that treatment regimens currently being used and studied will forestall the worst of the economic and health outcomes. The fact that official long-term double-blind studies of hydroxychloroquine treatment have not been completed does not diminish the very significant successes in numerous treatment scenarios around the world and in the U.S.

Also, testing not only for the disease but for anti-bodies -- which will indicate whether an individual has had and recovered, possessing anti-bodies-- are being rolled out daily. Results are available in hours if not minutes. This information will provide genuine data for guiding policy makers to properly balance all of our interests. I think we each can use common sense while doing what is necessary to live our lives.

Sorry for the loss of your uncle, Gary.

Comment

I hope yall are right. It is a non issue...

But my money is on yeah, we are going to be burying our family. Keep jacking around and telling your self Italy is not America, they have more old people, Spain is not the same....

Look at the last month. Put your bank account, credit score, and ego aside. Reality is about to ***** slap you.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                      That's really good. Hopefully, they will free the docs up to start prescribing this again ASAP. My daughter had the virus a couple weeks ago. They wouldn't test her, but she had all the symptoms....fever, aches, dry cough, shortness of breath. Our family doc (actually a family member) got her a prescription for hydroxycholoroquine and a Z-pack immediately. They were able to write scripts for it off label then. 24 hours later, her fever was gone. She felt better and better every day. 3-4 days later, she was pretty much back to normal. My wife and I had been at our daughter's house 4 days before she started showing symptoms. So we stayed home until it had been 14 days since we'd been with her. When we were at her house, we hugged and kissed her and ate meals with her and stayed in her apartment with her, shared a bathroom, and all of that. We're fine. Neither of us ever got sick.

She got the Rx for hydroxychloroquine just a couple days after it became known in the medical community that this drug was the ticket for COVID-19. The rest of us had not heard about it yet, but word got out pretty much that day and the next. Apparently, just a couple days later, the CDC and/or FDA shut down off label prescriptions for the drug and said that it could only be prescribed for patients that had tested positive for COVID-19, not patients that obviously have COVID-19, but aren't given a test to confirm it. I think the reason they restricted scripts was because lots of docs and other folks quickly began hoarding it. As a result of the restrictions then, since they haven't been testing many people, few people have been getting the drugs. Other docs and clinics have been afraid of liability issues related to prescribing a drug for an illness it's not labeled to be used for, test or no test, so some haven't been using it anyway.

The sooner they get enough trials on the books to document what everybody already knows is true, then hopefully everybody that needs this medicine can start getting it. That will flatten the heck out of the ICU bed curve, whether we all stay huddled up behind our walls of toilet paper at home or not. With an effective treatment - and all reports on this one are that my daughter's experience is pretty much how it works nearly 100% of the time for this virus - hopefully we can all get back to our regular lives soon, while remaining careful about keeping our hands clean and all of that - just like most of us do during flu season every year already.

Whenever that day comes, it'll be a great day. I sure hope it's soon. Killing the economy by shutting everything down too long is a lot more dangerous than a lot of people seem to realize.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post

But my money is on yeah, we are going to be burying our family. Keep jacking around and telling your self Italy is not America, they have more old people, Spain is not the same....

Look at the last month. Put your bank account, credit score, and ego aside. Reality is about to ***** slap you.
                        Wow! Just Wow! That is all I have.

I can predict that one side is gonna be right and one side is going to be wrong!

Time will tell!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                          That's really good. Hopefully, they will free the docs up to start prescribing this again ASAP. My daughter had the virus a couple weeks ago. They wouldn't test her, but she had all the symptoms....fever, aches, dry cough, shortness of breath. Our family doc (actually a family member) got her a prescription for hydroxycholoroquine and a Z-pack immediately. They were able to write scripts for it off label then. 24 hours later, her fever was gone. She felt better and better every day. 3-4 days later, she was pretty much back to normal. My wife and I had been at our daughter's house 4 days before she started showing symptoms. So we stayed home until it had been 14 days since we'd been with her. When we were at her house, we hugged and kissed her and ate meals with her and stayed in her apartment with her, shared a bathroom, and all of that. We're fine. Neither of us ever got sick.

She got the Rx for hydroxychloroquine just a couple days after it became known in the medical community that this drug was the ticket for COVID-19. The rest of us had not heard about it yet, but word got out pretty much that day and the next. Apparently, just a couple days later, the CDC and/or FDA shut down off label prescriptions for the drug and said that it could only be prescribed for patients that had tested positive for COVID-19, not patients that obviously have COVID-19, but aren't given a test to confirm it. I think the reason they restricted scripts was because lots of docs and other folks quickly began hoarding it. As a result of the restrictions then, since they haven't been testing many people, few people have been getting the drugs. Other docs and clinics have been afraid of liability issues related to prescribing a drug for an illness it's not labeled to be used for, test or no test, so some haven't been using it anyway.

The sooner they get enough trials on the books to document what everybody already knows is true, then hopefully everybody that needs this medicine can start getting it. That will flatten the heck out of the ICU bed curve, whether we all stay huddled up behind our walls of toilet paper at home or not. With an effective treatment - and all reports on this one are that my daughter's experience is pretty much how it works nearly 100% of the time for this virus - hopefully we can all get back to our regular lives soon, while remaining careful about keeping our hands clean and all of that - just like most of us do during flu season every year already.

Whenever that day comes, it'll be a great day. I sure hope it's soon. Killing the economy by shutting everything down too long is a lot more dangerous than a lot of people seem to realize.
                          Shane - I visited with my wife a bit about this last night. As I mentioned, she's at the clinic level evaluating potential virus carriers and doing testing. She told me the same thing that the CDC has basically reserved the drug to those severely ill at which point she would not be seeing them because they would be at the hospital. She also mentioned that the drug has a side effect that could be really bad. Which is one of the reasons many doctors could be hesitant to prescribe it until all efforts are exhausted.

She is constantly reading and researching all the different aspects of the virus. Primarily, she is focusing on learning from others' experience with what they are seeing as far severity at different stages. She explained that one of the scary things that is being seen is that a patient known to have the virus may sound fine when listening to their lungs but there is possibly fluid buildup already occurring. She said that is not how pneumonia typically works. She said you can hear the onset of pneumonia but this is different. She said the risk is sending someone home to quarantine because they sound "good" then 8 hours later they are in critical respiratory failure. Moral of the story is all the medical professionals are learning as well. As you can imagine, information is flying everywhere; some probably good, some probably inaccurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad_E View Post
                            Shane - I visited with my wife a bit about this last night. As I mentioned, she's at the clinic level evaluating potential virus carriers and doing testing. She told me the same thing that the CDC has basically reserved the drug to those severely ill at which point she would not be seeing them because they would be at the hospital. She also mentioned that the drug has a side effect that could be really bad. Which is one of the reasons many doctors could be hesitant to prescribe it until all efforts are exhausted.

She is constantly reading and researching all the different aspects of the virus. Primarily, she is focusing on learning from others' experience with what they are seeing as far severity at different stages. She explained that one of the scary things that is being seen is that a patient known to have the virus may sound fine when listening to their lungs but there is possibly fluid buildup already occurring. She said that is not how pneumonia typically works. She said you can hear the onset of pneumonia but this is different. She said the risk is sending someone home to quarantine because they sound "good" then 8 hours later they are in critical respiratory failure. Moral of the story is all the medical professionals are learning as well. As you can imagine, information is flying everywhere; some probably good, some probably inaccurate.
                            Could you share what the side affects are or could be?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X