Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daggers for spurs!

Comment

I haven’t measured them yet but they are sharp!

Comment

Two hard gobbling jakes this morning, one of which strutted in proudly. First time really hearing jakes gobble like a grown toms. If I had just seen their heads, they would have fooled me.

Comment

Went to pull coon traps and hoped to strike a bird about 9:30 this morning. Had 3 strutters around the feeder. Broke out the ninja skills and got to about 150 yards. Called in three Jakes but strutters weren’t leaving their hens. Jakes left and I got into about 60 yards. Strutters ended up being Jakes with full fans. So far I’ve seen three different groups of 3 jakes and multiple hens. There were 5 hens out with those 6 Jakes today.

If I catch some Jakes there with the bow in hand, I’m going to try to pop my archery turkey cherry...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been pretty tough hunting the past few days. Birds have been really henned up, even the lesser dominant birds trailing close behind the flocks of hens and dominate gobblers. Haven’t been able to make them peel off to come investigate my calling. Had several close calls, less experienced hunters that didn’t feel comfortable shooting near their max limits etc. I couldn’t buy a gobble yesterday morning. Took the wife out yesterday afternoon and hunted from 3pm till almost dark. We made our way up the creek bottom calling till finally making it to an open field that had 2 hens and a gobbler in it about 6pm. Put our face masks on and set up on the brush line that was perpendicular to them across the field. Got lucky and had the hens come to us on a string talking the whole way. They were within 7-8 yards of us sitting on the ground when I killed the gobbler at 40. 15 minutes later I heard another gobbler about 400 yards out. We hide the bird and get set back up. Within a couple of minutes he was in our lap and my wife made short work of him. That bird was running from the time I saw him till I cut the call to stop him for her to shoot. Made for an entertaining hunt before our anniversary dinner. Stay after them men, it only takes 10 good minutes of hunting to make an afternoon of frustration worth it!

Comment

Nice birds! Congrats!

Comment

Nice...congratulations

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post

Been pretty tough hunting the past few days. Birds have been really henned up, even the lesser dominant birds trailing close behind the flocks of hens and dominate gobblers. Haven’t been able to make them peel off to come investigate my calling. Had several close calls, less experienced hunters that didn’t feel comfortable shooting near their max limits etc. I couldn’t buy a gobble yesterday morning. Took the wife out yesterday afternoon and hunted from 3pm till almost dark. We made our way up the creek bottom calling till finally making it to an open field that had 2 hens and a gobbler in it about 6pm. Put our face masks on and set up on the brush line that was perpendicular to them across the field. Got lucky and had the hens come to us on a string talking the whole way. They were within 7-8 yards of us sitting on the ground when I killed the gobbler at 40. 15 minutes later I heard another gobbler about 400 yards out. We hide the bird and get set back up. Within a couple of minutes he was in our lap and my wife made short work of him. That bird was running from the time I saw him till I cut the call to stop him for her to shoot. Made for an entertaining hunt before our anniversary dinner. Stay after them men, it only takes 10 good minutes of hunting to make an afternoon of frustration worth it!

I see those JMalin tips are paying off!! Well done and congrats!!

You nailed it when you said "it only takes 10 good minutes of hunting to make an afternoon of frustration worth it!"

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post

Solid!

Congrats again

Comment

PoPo is out solo and last update had a gobbler within 100 yards responding

I hope they cooperate for him!

Comment

No luck for PoPo
                        Gobbler quit talking.

Comment

Snuck away for a quick hunt this mornin

Got here early and setup super tight to where the loner gobbler should be roosted.

If it’s gonna happen today, I expect it to happen early.

Comment

8 hens and 2 longbeards just walked past me at 30 yards

Tryin to get hens fired up but no luck. They’re at 75 now

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                              8 hens and 2 longbeards just walked past me at 30 yards

Tryin to get hens fired up but no luck. They’re at 75 now
                              Dang. On a work call now but I’m doing another late morning hunt.

Comment

I don’t get it

These 2 toms just left their hens and ran a jake out of the field

They tolerated the jake decoy for 30 minutes!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X