No announcement yet.

Feeding Corn Year Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to see others just feed corn year round. I do not plant plots or feed protein either. No equipment. I do the best I can with what I have.

Comment

year round here also... corn and soybean.

Comment

I have a feeder near my home that goes year round. It collects a group of does that hang around seeing me and traffic all the time. They get pretty mellow. Nice attribute when rut roles around. I have no pretense that it adds nutritional value.

Comment

I would think that two feeders would be plenty for your acreage. Just adjust the amount of corn that they throw according to how much the deer are eating. In the spring and summer I supplement with some protein and cottenseed.

Comment

Originally posted by JCSO9530 View Post
            I would think that two feeders would be plenty for your acreage. Just adjust the amount of corn that they throw according to how much the deer are eating. In the spring and summer I supplement with some protein and cottenseed.
            Thanks

Comment

I used to feed corn year round but it brought the hogs in. So now I start feeding at the end of Aug. I don't have near as much damage to the property anymore

Comment

Some science to consider...

Converting the protien from forage into useable forms in the deer's body requires a certain amount of energy. Corn is pure energy (carbohydrates) and exceeds that requirement. Energy can also be stored as fat. This is why deer, bucks in particular, hit corn hard in the fall to build up reserves for oncoming rut.

In spring and summer, different things are going on in the body and energy needs are not as high; rather, protein for body development takes priority.

A deer's rumen (1st chamber of stomach) digests forage using microbes. There are different microbes for different forages. Protiens come from cellulose (the stuff inside a plant cell) which is easily digested, and from hemicellulose (the cell walls) which is tougher to digest. The more of each type of forage in the rumen results in more microbes that breakdown that food. It's like a microbe population controlled by what the deer eats. For antler growth, you want a huge dominance of cell and cell wall microbes to maximize protein uptake. Corn builds starch digesting microbes, which can compete for space on the microbe population. Conversely, a nursing doe could benefit from some increased energy levels in late summer. Raising a fawn is a drain. This is why you seldom kill fat lactating doe.

With all that said, a mouthful or two of corn per day during spring and summer, aint gonna hurt a thing. As long as quality, native forage is available, deer are excellent self-regulators. We see evidence of this on protien fed properties, where those deer consume more browse compared to deer with no feed. They adapt by adding roughage to that rich, or "hot", diet.

Don't sweat it, just dont over-do.

Comment

I’m gonna feed corn year round at my place in RS. I’m also gonna start feeding cotton seed very soon along with alfalfa. Hopefully it’ll keep the deer, hogs, black bucks, elk, fallow deer and axis interested in my place. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
                    I’m gonna feed corn year round at my place in RS. I’m also gonna start feeding cotton seed very soon along with alfalfa. Hopefully it’ll keep the deer, hogs, black bucks, elk, fallow deer and axis interested in my place. LOL
                    The only reason I only feed corn only is the cost and my land is 40 acres surrounded by deer lease and cattle ranch that gets leased out and it is all heavily hunted. I'm lucky to see deer. I'm going up there next weekend for Fathers Day and going top off feeders with apple corn. Try something new.

Comment

Feeding year round should be good for keep deer coming in the fall

Comment

I have been feeding apple corn out of my feeders. I also found a corn/soybean mix for $11.00/50#. Corn is still way cheaper. Also trying Buck Candy this year.

Anyone just feed straight plain ol corn, nothing else?

Comment

Most of the guys on my lease feed corn only. I feed 50/50 corn and Golden Nuggets. I'm not sure that there's much difference in deer sightings.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                            Most of the guys on my lease feed corn only. I feed 50/50 corn and Golden Nuggets. I'm not sure that there's much difference in deer sightings.
                            Is that the Record Rack Golden nuggets? Will that feed out of a moultrie and a ASF with no problems?

Comment

Ttt

Comment

We feed year round and add salt licks and cotton seed. Definitely change it up because if you have the stuff they need they will come to your place and stay. The treats are nice but they need a bit more then candy.

Comment

Working...
                                X