Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young
 
Graysonhogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Savoy, Texas
Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath
Default Anybody else get drawn for Laguna Atascosa Exotic Hunt 2/19-2/21?

Just seeing if anyone else drew. Anyone who has Nilgai hunting experience feel free to drop any tips or knowledge here.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young
 
panhandlehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sweenyish
Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties
Default

Not me. But I didn’t put in for it. I’ve wanted to but haven’t.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
dgilbert
Ten Point
 
dgilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lake Granbury
Hunt In: Coke Co
Default

Guess not.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 09:21 PM   #4
JackRyan
Six Point
 
JackRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Brownsville
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

I put in but didnít get drawn.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 10:25 PM   #5
pilar
Ten Point
 
pilar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita
Default

We drew on a bonus hunt 2 years ago, it’s a moderately tough hunt, lots of walking, if successful you will need a wheeled cart to bring it out , find a place you can glass and wait for them to move, then hammer down with a .270 or better, we personally didn’t wait for a bull and had 4 cows get spooked by some other people and my uncle hank shooting a .338win shot one and I shot her again with my .300 because she was getting in a mud flat
This was in March and hot so we field butchered and packed out , and then elected to deem the hunt a success and didn’t return for the 2nd day
Probably walked 14-20 miles that day
Monitor the LA website because they have some hunts not listed with TP&W
Like ours but need to show up in person early and wait inline to see if you get drawn
Best of luck and maybe you will get a bull
I just looked it is in Bahia unit we were in a different unit so your mileage may very

Last edited by pilar; 10-17-2020 at 10:50 PM.
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 07:42 AM   #6
ppeeks59
Spike
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

I got drawn for the archery hunt two weeks earlier. This is NOT the main section of the Reserve. This is a special hunt in the very rarely hunted Bahia Grande unit, so anything you read about the main section may or may not apply. I'm drawn for both sections and will hunt both with bow, the first main section in a few weeks. I've hunted the main section before and yes, there is a ton of walking (except for all the guys riding fat-tire bikes, who walk less) and yes you need a cart, either way. The Bahia Grande section looks completely different to me, at least on Google Earth. Most of it is water and nothing is far from the only access road through it, which I am HOPING we will be able to drive on. If we cannot use that single road and have to walk in from either end, well, that's gonna require putting some miles on the boots.
ppeeks59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #7
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young
 
Graysonhogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Savoy, Texas
Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppeeks59 View Post
I got drawn for the archery hunt two weeks earlier. This is NOT the main section of the Reserve. This is a special hunt in the very rarely hunted Bahia Grande unit, so anything you read about the main section may or may not apply. I'm drawn for both sections and will hunt both with bow, the first main section in a few weeks. I've hunted the main section before and yes, there is a ton of walking (except for all the guys riding fat-tire bikes, who walk less) and yes you need a cart, either way. The Bahia Grande section looks completely different to me, at least on Google Earth. Most of it is water and nothing is far from the only access road through it, which I am HOPING we will be able to drive on. If we cannot use that single road and have to walk in from either end, well, that's gonna require putting some miles on the boots.


Whatís the closest town to stay in? Refuge looks pretty isolated.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
gburk
Spike
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Default

Check out the LA thread in public hunts forum. Plenty of info there. Closest towns are Laguna vista, port Isabel, Los Fresnos
gburk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 11:10 AM   #9
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young
 
Graysonhogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Savoy, Texas
Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gburk View Post
Check out the LA thread in public hunts forum. Plenty of info there. Closest towns are Laguna vista, port Isabel, Los Fresnos


Thanks for the info


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
Huntindad
Pope & Young
 
Huntindad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leander / Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W
Default

I think the Bahia unit is across the road from the H.E.B. in Port Isabel. Pretty wide open in that unit.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #11
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young
 
Graysonhogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Savoy, Texas
Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath
Default

Any other exotics there?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #12
Huntindad
Pope & Young
 
Huntindad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leander / Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W
Default

not that I am aware of. No other exotics in any of the LANWR units other than Nilgai.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #13
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young
 
Graysonhogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Savoy, Texas
Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
not that I am aware of. No other exotics in any of the LANWR units other than Nilgai.


Just wondering because it said all exotic mammals. Didnít mention anything specific.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 07:07 PM   #14
BigRed323
Ten Point
 
BigRed323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Hunt In: Texas, Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
Just wondering because it said all exotic mammals. Didn’t mention anything specific.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nilgai and pigs there.

On the actual Laguna Atascosa part, there has been a couple of sightings of fallow and Auodad, but definitely not enough to be any sort of focus on them. Likely just a couple of escapees passing through from neighboring ranches our there. Bahia has very few neighboring ranches and its all low fence areas and larger places that don’t stock any sort of exotics.

Wish I would’ve drawn Bahia. Good luck out there!

Last edited by BigRed323; 10-18-2020 at 07:09 PM.
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 07:42 PM   #15
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young
 
Graysonhogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Savoy, Texas
Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath
Default

Looking forward to it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 07:59 PM   #16
Huntindad
Pope & Young
 
Huntindad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leander / Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
Nilgai and pigs there.

On the actual Laguna Atascosa part, there has been a couple of sightings of fallow and Auodad, but definitely not enough to be any sort of focus on them. Likely just a couple of escapees passing through from neighboring ranches our there. Bahia has very few neighboring ranches and its all low fence areas and larger places that donít stock any sort of exotics.

Wish I wouldíve drawn Bahia. Good luck out there!
I kinda thought pigs was a given
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 08:21 PM   #17
JackRyan
Six Point
 
JackRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Brownsville
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
I kinda thought pigs was a given

They specify all exotics not necessarily because there are other exotics there but because on some NWR hunts not all exotics are on the list. Like East Lake, the only exotic you can shoot is Nilgai even though there are others there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 08:47 PM   #18
Huntindad
Pope & Young
 
Huntindad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leander / Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W
Default

hmmm...wonder why they would exclude other exotics?
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 07:14 AM   #19
ArcheryNerd
Eight Point
 
ArcheryNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bulverde
Hunt In: anywhere
Default

I wish good luck guys
ArcheryNerd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 08:40 AM   #20
ppeeks59
Spike
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

There are EXTREMELY ENDANGERED ocelots. If you even breathe in their direction, you are asking for a federal striped clothes holiday and legal fees you would not believe. Every year one or two guys see one of them. Don't shoot at a cat, it is pretty simple.

Huntindad is right -- Bahia Grande unit is basically the north border of Port Isabel. You could even take the spouse for a South Padre Island holiday, it is still just a few minutes away.
ppeeks59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 09:08 AM   #21
Mr. Whiskers
Pope & Young
 
Mr. Whiskers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Magnolia, Tx
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

We were drawn for the Bahia Grande Unit 2/26 - 2/28
Mr. Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #22
ppeeks59
Spike
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

I had the map upside down in my head -- BG is south of 100, below Port Isabel and Laguna Vista. The entire east end of the unit is actually within the Port Isabel city limits. I'm looking forward to learning how we are supposed to hunt the BG unit. The vehicle access road is 8 miles end-to-end from Rte 48 to Rte 100, but there's only parking at the 48 end. I sure hope we can drive in and park along the access road. There's also a huntable area at the west end of the unit that seems to have no vehicle access at all, and at least a mile and half walk in from 100 (though there's apparently no parking there) through a no-hunting zone before you reach the huntable area. Not a problem as long as we can actually park and the trail is usable. Last year my stand (in the Laguna unit) was more than 2 miles in from my truck and it was no problem walking in and out every day, plus the walking I did during the day. A few guys walked in and out a lot further. Nilgai are not exactly like white-tail deer -- they sleep at night are are active all day long, though it is true that there are activity peaks in the early morning and late afternoon. Leaving the area for the middle of the day makes no sense at all to me -- I saw more Nilgai closer to lunchtime than at any other time of day -- maybe they were being pushed by other guys leaving their stands to go somewhere for lunch. Getting close enough to take a shot with my bow -- that's another matter -- I couldn't do it last year, hoping to do it this year.
ppeeks59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 09:50 AM   #23
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young
 
Graysonhogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Savoy, Texas
Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppeeks59 View Post
I had the map upside down in my head -- BG is south of 100, below Port Isabel and Laguna Vista. The entire east end of the unit is actually within the Port Isabel city limits. I'm looking forward to learning how we are supposed to hunt the BG unit. The vehicle access road is 8 miles end-to-end from Rte 48 to Rte 100, but there's only parking at the 48 end. I sure hope we can drive in and park along the access road. There's also a huntable area at the west end of the unit that seems to have no vehicle access at all, and at least a mile and half walk in from 100 (though there's apparently no parking there) through a no-hunting zone before you reach the huntable area. Not a problem as long as we can actually park and the trail is usable. Last year my stand (in the Laguna unit) was more than 2 miles in from my truck and it was no problem walking in and out every day, plus the walking I did during the day. A few guys walked in and out a lot further. Nilgai are not exactly like white-tail deer -- they sleep at night are are active all day long, though it is true that there are activity peaks in the early morning and late afternoon. Leaving the area for the middle of the day makes no sense at all to me -- I saw more Nilgai closer to lunchtime than at any other time of day -- maybe they were being pushed by other guys leaving their stands to go somewhere for lunch. Getting close enough to take a shot with my bow -- that's another matter -- I couldn't do it last year, hoping to do it this year.
Did you see a lot of animals?
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 09:52 AM   #24
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young
 
Graysonhogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Savoy, Texas
Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
We were drawn for the Bahia Grande Unit 2/26 - 2/28
I'm the week before. Hopefully I'll be able to provide some useful intel.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 03:15 PM   #25
Mr. Whiskers
Pope & Young
 
Mr. Whiskers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Magnolia, Tx
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
I'm the week before. Hopefully I'll be able to provide some useful intel.
That would be greatly appreciated sir
Mr. Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM   #26
J-Bob
Ten Point
 
J-Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Draws
Default

I’m in for 2/19 - 2/21 along with a buddy. Looks like a tough one based on terrain and parking but fun to give it a try.
J-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM   #27
AHunter
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Default

I drew the hunt as well. Never been, so I'm trying to do research on that unit
AHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM   #28
BigRed323
Ten Point
 
BigRed323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Hunt In: Texas, Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter View Post
I drew the hunt as well. Never been, so I'm trying to do research on that unit
FYI, nobody has ever been lol. It was just opened this year to hunt, so wonít find much info on where to hunt etc.

Good luck!
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM   #29
AHunter
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
FYI, nobody has ever been lol. It was just opened this year to hunt, so wonít find much info on where to hunt etc.
That explains it. Thanks for saving me from searching around more lol.
AHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com