Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #1
BCoop27
Spike

Hunt In: Rocksprings Texas
Default High Fence Thoughts

Have any of you been on a high fence where the animals seems as wild as on a low fence? I hunted a 700 acre high fence and alot of the animals would just look at us as we drove around. Wondering what they are like on something bigger like 2k acres? Thinking about booking an exotic hunt but don't want something too easy.
BCoop27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
sling shot
Eight Point

And were off

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
sling shot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 02:56 PM   #3
DOUBLE-Z
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wheeler & Hemphill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DOUBLE-Z is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
GA Bowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tree/blind/ground

if someone offered me a free high fence shoot I would be happy to go.

It ain't hunting though.
GA Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #5
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma

I hunted some small high fence places where it didn't really feel like hunting and I've hunted 20,000+ acre high fence places where you wouldn't even know it had a fence around it. There are lots of factors that affect the quality of hunting and I don’t think there is a magic number for acreage.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #6
sambo73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: van zandt cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCoop27 View Post
Have any of you been on a high fence where the animals seems as wild as on a low fence? I hunted a 700 acre high fence and alot of the animals would just look at us as we drove around. Wondering what they are like on something bigger like 2k acres? Thinking about booking an exotic hunt but don't want something too easy.
I think it depends on how much pressure is put on them. I went on one in Rockdale that was 500ac. Shot axis doe but wasn't easy. Place also had red deer that wasn't scared of you.

Been on place that was 10k acres broke up into like 2-3k acres pastures. Definitely not an easy hunt.

Took my son on ram hunt. Hardest part was let the one he wanted to clear others for a shot....I am definitely not apposed to a high fence place.

If its 500ac of thick stuff, they know every inch of it and how to hide

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
sambo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 03:02 PM   #7
hunterburch42
Six Point

Hunt In: Ozona

You ever been to a wildlife park and rode around with the feed buckets?

hunterburch42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 03:04 PM   #8
MLank
Ten Point

Some people.....
MLank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #9
futureagg
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crockett

Here are my thoughts... yes usually highfence hunts are easier. But highfence operations usually have people constantly out driving roads, filling feeders, putting corn/feed out all year. They have time to pattern deer easier with cameras people constantly watching deer. The deer become used to the commotion and arenít nearly as pressured as low fence places.

Low fence places have the same thing, but the animals can leave even on a 2k acre place. Iíve seen deer travel 4-5miles in a few days between my our two properties. I think a lot of it has to do with pressure and number of deer taken. Iíve been on some low fence ranches where the deer were eating in the road as the truck was driving off spinning corn from a bumper feeder.

Both have their perks. Both have their negatives. The hunting community is too small to be nit picky. Just be glad we are still able to hunt. If you are wanting an exotic go for it especially if you are on a lease or property that will never have exotics. Just my thoughts not trying to start anything just giving you my thoughts

futureagg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 03:06 PM   #10
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE-Z View Post

LMAO... Yep.

https://youtu.be/I6eQ78HCGEA
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 03:11 PM   #11
vmont
Four Point

Hunt In: Madisonville, Garwood

We have about 430 acres under high fence. Maybe 70 to 80 deer on the place and they are like ghosts.
vmont is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 03:33 PM   #12
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Come on spike!!!

You were probably thinking to yourself. "You know...I haven't seen any threads on high fence and how hard deer are to hunt on them since I registered and I've been looking for a topic to start a thread about that nobody has ever discussed on here"........... so you let it fly.....

Well....I got a little news for ya! There are some subjects that have absolutely been beaten to death on this site that we can't discuss without everybody pissing in each others cheerios. You just posted about the number one sword fighting thread on tbh... Good luck to ya! Let the nut-kicking commence!!

Last edited by Smart; 10-17-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #13
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

I know they have ruined my drive to the lease.
The 12 miles from the highway to the lease gate was once pretty nice now it’s nearly all lined with hf’s and more going up right now. It amazes me someone would spend so much money just to kill a deer
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #14
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Come on spike!!!

You were probably thinking to yourself. "You know...I haven't seen any threads on high fence and how hard deer are to hunt on them since I registered and I've been looking for a topic to start a thread about that nobody has ever discussed on here"........... so you let it fly.....

Well....I got a newsflash for ya! There are some subjects that have absolutely been beaten to death on this site that we can't discuss without everybody pissing in each others cheerios. You just posted about the number one sword fighting thread on tbh... Congrats!! Good luck to ya! Let the nut-kicking commence!!
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 03:49 PM   #15
BLee15
Six Point

Hunt In: Cherokee & Crossplains

Going after a specific buck on high fence can be a challenge. All my exotic hunts have been tall fence And have been for specific culls which made them challenging. Low fence is defiantly more challenging though
BLee15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 03:54 PM   #16
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

You can practically pet some of the deer on one of our low fence places. Think it has more to do with pressure.
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 03:57 PM   #17
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
.....High Fence Thoughts.....

Almighty and most merciful Father, we humbly beseech Thee, of Thy great goodness, to restrain these hi-fence entrapments with which we have had to contend. Grant us the understanding of fair chase among all men. Graciously hearken to us as hunters who call Thee that, armed with Thy power, we may advance from this perilous trend and establish Thy justice as hunters of fair chase. Amen.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 04:05 PM   #18
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

I hunt predominantly on a 1000 ac high fence ranch, and the deer are just as spooky as a low fence place. There is lots of thick brush, and there are deer that we never see.

Now, the front porch deer...that's another story! No shooting allowed off the porch or in view of the front porch, and those deer get accustomed to eating the hand corn without being disturbed. They still are jumpy, but they get comfortable with us sitting on the porch enjoying them.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #19
bjsexpress
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Besides obviously a controlled environment for management. The part I'll admit to enjoying a high fence hunt is less "that's hunting" scenarios. I don't have a high fence, but happily partake again and again if anyone's inviting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
bjsexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 04:14 PM   #20
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
I hunt predominantly on a 1000 ac high fence ranch, and the deer are just as spooky as a low fence place. There is lots of thick brush, and there are deer that we never see.

Now, the front porch deer...that's another story! No shooting allowed off the porch or in view of the front porch, and those deer get accustomed to eating the hand corn without being disturbed. They still are jumpy, but they get comfortable with us sitting on the porch enjoying them.
I agree with this 100% ,
A exotic hunt is different than most white tail , because loads of exotics are bought at auction and turned loose to generate money for the ranch
As a kid me and different buddies raised exotic rams and goats and sold them in Harper Texas they weren’t exactly wild , nor tame

Last edited by pilar; 10-17-2020 at 04:22 PM.
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #21
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayr View Post
You can practically pet some of the deer on one of our low fence places. Think it has more to do with pressure.
I bowhunted Doe on a low fence ranch that had not been hunted in over 150yrs and the deer were 100% tame. Had to get out of the truck and push the deer up and out of the road to get around them. You could walk right up to 12pt bucks and shoot them at 10ft if you wanted to, doe were the same way the first couple years. By the 4th year the doe were spooky, bucks were still mostly tame.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #22
Bazo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I can

Quote:
Come on spike!!!

Well....I got a little news for ya! There are some subjects that have absolutely been beaten to death on this site that we can't discuss without everybody pissing in each others cheerios. You just posted about the number one sword fighting thread on tbh... Good luck to ya! Let the nut-kicking commence!!

What about spikes? Once a spike always a spike right?? We should shoot every spike we see right???

Bazo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #23
Wfalls
Six Point

Hunt In: Burnet , Clay

The one high fence hunt I went on was a place that was close to 700 acres . I did kill the largest whitetail I have killed in 30 years of hunting but I will never do it again . I would rather go hunt a public land doe than do that again . It was about as challenging as killing my neighbors cows .
Wfalls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 04:42 PM   #24
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

I've hunted several where the deer where just as wild as a LF and some that were even more spooky. Then others I have been to and around they would almost eat out of your hand.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #25
DOUBLE-Z
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wheeler & Hemphill

I don’t have an issue with hf nor do I claim it’s much easier. But at the end of the day, if the animal physically can’t leave. It’s just not the same. I think the kill goes down with an asterisk. I wouldn’t say it’s cheating or unfair. IMO
DOUBLE-Z is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 06:41 PM   #26
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
I know they have ruined my drive to the lease.
The 12 miles from the highway to the lease gate was once pretty nice now itís nearly all lined with hfís and more going up right now. It amazes me someone would spend so much money just to kill a deer
Most of those fences go up because they are tired of the neighbors killing anything that walks.

Iíve hunted some big high fence places. Just as wild if not more so than low fence.

Iíve hunted low fence that deer were like pets.

Iíve hunted small high fence that youíd be lucky to kill something on. I killed an axis buck at KJO (original place) and that wasnít easy. That was 15-16 years ago.

The size of the fence has little to do with it to a point.

I will admit that after killing a true free range 164Ē deer with my bow I appreciate it a lot more. But I am certainly not opposed to high fence and will continue hunting them. Mostly for exotics. To each their own. Hunters need to support each other.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 06:52 PM   #27
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 07:13 PM   #28
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Why does anyone care where someone else hunts? Their money and their hunt. It's no big deal to me.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 07:16 PM   #29
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

My neighbor to the south has a half section under HF and he has the spookiest deer i have ever seen. if i open the front door on my house i can hear his deer blowing and running from 500 yds out.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #30
St59
Four Point

I hunted a 200 ac high fence place a few years back that was an acceptably hard hunt.. I’ve also been on low fence places that you could give the deer hugs. I think as a lot of other have said, it comes down to pressure and deer heard. Positives and negatives to both
St59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 07:26 PM   #31
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Then don't book with a high fence place, pretty simple
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 07:26 PM   #32
bowaddict40
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Most of those fences go up because they are tired of the neighbors killing anything that walks.

I’ve hunted some big high fence places. Just as wild if not more so than low fence.

I’ve hunted low fence that deer were like pets.

I’ve hunted small high fence that you’d be lucky to kill something on. I killed an axis buck at KJO (original place) and that wasn’t easy. That was 15-16 years ago.

The size of the fence has little to do with it to a point.

I will admit that after killing a true free range 164” deer with my bow I appreciate it a lot more. But I am certainly not opposed to high fence and will continue hunting them. Mostly for exotics. To each their own. Hunters need to support each other.
I agree with this. I’ve hunted a 300 acre that was thick and it was tough Axis hunting. I’ve also hunted Blackbuck on a 800 acre place and you could pretty much walk out and take your pick.

And as far as the deer looking at you as you drive by. If they see the same thing all of the time they get used to it. We can drive the tractor or the Ranger by at deer 10ft away and they will just watch us. The second we start stopping they are gone. If we drive our trucks around they will bolt way before we get anywhere close to them.

Last edited by bowaddict40; 10-17-2020 at 07:30 PM.
bowaddict40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 07:28 PM   #33
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post

This seems contradictory...
Old 10-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #34
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Barnum (Polk County)

In before personal attacks and jabs begin.

If this thread comes to blows... I am on the lie fence guysí team.

Last edited by Anvilheadtexas; 10-17-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Anvilheadtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 07:32 PM   #35
bobby314
Eight Point

Quote:
Come on spike!!!

My man here! You can quit your day job and charge money for that kind of wisdom, therapist, counselor, psychiatrist, any of them.
bobby314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 07:35 PM   #36
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Come on spike!!!

What's your opinion?
Old 10-17-2020, 07:35 PM   #37
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

I think the OP mentioned exotics specifically.
Personally never seen a tame axis in any of the dozen or so places I hunted. Fallow much less spooky. Auodad always seem ready to sprint.
I've been on a couple places that were like grocery shopping with my bow. It was fun for what it was. Most have been hunts. But with high game populations.
A couple I just felt ripped off.
Go to London Oaks. You'll enjoy it and have to work for it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 07:46 PM   #38
rolylane6
Six Point

Hunt In: Wise county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
In before personal attacks and jabs begin.

If this thread comes to blows... I am on the lie fence guysí team.
Whats a lie fence guy. Is that the guy that shoots big deer on a HF place but tells everyone he shot it on a LF?

rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 07:52 PM   #39
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
What's your opinion?

My opinion is that the topic has beaten to death and I'm all out of give-a-s...
Old 10-17-2020, 07:56 PM   #40
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
My opinion is that the topic has beaten to death and I'm all out of give-a-s...

Can confirm.

The possible scenarios are endless, making the possible opinions endless. And to many of the big opinions come from the inexperienced.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #41
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

My opinion is that High Fence thoughts are easier to come by.

If the thoughts can't escape you, are you really trying that hard to think?
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 08:03 PM   #42
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinal View Post
My opinion is that High Fence thoughts are easier to come by.

If the thoughts can't escape you, are you really trying that hard to think?
Man what do you know about high fence and deer?!
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 08:04 PM   #43
eradicator
Pope & Young

I guess I should have been more specific with my inquiry.....
Old 10-17-2020, 08:07 PM   #44
louieagarcia
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Planet Earth

This is exactly why I stick to hunting a medium fence.....no controversy there whatsoever
louieagarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #45
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Barnum (Polk County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolylane6 View Post
Whats a lie fence guy. Is that the guy that shoots big deer on a HF place but tells everyone he shot it on a LF?

Oops... been a long day in stand... meant to
type “low”.
Anvilheadtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 08:22 PM   #46
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolylane6 View Post

Even though you mistyped, yes!!
Old 10-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #47
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
I guess I should have been more specific with my inquiry.....

I can be more specific in my answer
Old 10-18-2020, 11:11 AM   #48
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
I hunted some small high fence places where it didn't really feel like hunting and I've hunted 20,000+ acre high fence places where you wouldn't even know it had a fence around it. There are lots of factors that affect the quality of hunting and I donít think there is a magic number for acreage.
Same thoughts
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 11:30 AM   #49
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell

High fence= not hunting, no where for them to go. If someone wants to pay the money to kill a high fence deer have at it, just don’t call it hunting.. As far as deer being spooked I’ve seen it both ways, my family got a hf place years ago and when you would drive around they’d just stand there looking at you, now 20 years later they are spooked way easier, funny thing is the only thing that has changed is the hunting stopped when they bought the place. Pretty much they take off what the state says they need to and that’s it for the last 20 years..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 02:25 PM   #50
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
This seems contradictory...
Actually, itís not. We hand corn the area out in front of the house so we and our wives can enjoy watching them, free of any hunting pressure. They get a pass, and slowly, eventually get comfortable eating corn while they watch us. They are still jumpy and will run off if we move too suddenly, but they ease back to eat.

Out away frim the house, it is a different story.

I kid my friend, the owner, that the deer discuss these things at their Lodge Meetings and Conventions, and eventually the deer on the other side of the ranch are going to start visiting this ďsafe placeĒ with plenty of food on the ground. Then, eventually, he will have no deer on the rest of the ranch. They will be concentrated on the 10 acre no shooting zone in front of the house! 😬

Name:  C80E973A-8D48-4AA3-9194-6B7DB95EA5C3.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  A4E0CBF2-803C-4DF1-AE2E-E301B8488217.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  78.2 KB

He is in a safe zone.

Last edited by Burnadell; 10-18-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top