Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma
Question Christians who like Country Music

Disclaimer: This is a question for Christians who enjoy Country Music, not a thread for those who want to be a troll or bash Christian views.

I grew up on good 'ole country music and really enjoy the sound. Anything from the classics like George Jones and Willie, all the way to the Cody Jinks type artists that are a little rough around the edges with their style. With that said, I don't really listen to it anymore because I mainly have just listened to Christian music in the last year or two. I used to listen to a mix, but found that personally, the lyrics and content took my mind to a place that I didn't like. So with that personal conviction, I have just listened to my Pandora Christian Station while in the truck (the only time I listen to music).

Are there any Country Christian artists out there that have the traditional country sound? It seems to be a missing genre. I know that artists like Randy Travis and Alan Jackson have put out albums in the past with worship songs but are there artists out there that produce Christian songs exclusively???

Last edited by Pineywoods; 10-16-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 11:02 AM   #2
catslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
Disclaimer: This is a question for Christians who enjoy Country Music, not a thread for those who want to be a troll or bash Christian views.

I grew up on good 'ole country music and really enjoy the sound. Anything from the classics like George Jones and Willie, all the way to the Cody Jinks type artists that are a little rough around the edges with their style. With that said, I don't really listen to it anymore because I mainly have just listened to Christian music in the last year or two. I used to listen to a mix, but found that personally, the lyrics and content took my mind to a place that I didn't like. So with that personal conviction, I have just listened to my Pandora Christian Station while in the truck (the only time I listen to music).

Are there any Country Christian artists out there that have the traditional country sound? It seems to be a missing genre. I know that artists like Randy Travis and Alan Jackson have put out albums in the past with worship songs but are there artists out there that produce Christian songs exclusively.
I would check out Cody Johnson if I were you...

As for worship stuff, I haven't heard much.

Avoid Koe Wetzle

As for taking you mind to less than ideal place, that is something individuals have to decide for themselves how things effect them. I have no problem with your choice(it's your choice) just make sure you aren't lording it over others. I'm not saying you are... But let's just say I've experienced it

Last edited by catslayer; 10-16-2020 at 11:20 AM.
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #3
TexasAg2002
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunt, Tx

Sean McConnell! He's awesome and has Christian views.
TexasAg2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 11:04 AM   #4
TexaswBOWhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr, Montgomery & Leon Counties in Tx, SW Kansas

Check out Dave McMahon on Spotify, etc. he is the local DJ at the country radio station in Conroe, but he has some good Christian based songs out there with a country swing. And a heck of a good guy as well.
TexaswBOWhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #5
Troutamer
Four Point

I have felt the same way the past couple years or should I say I have grow in Christ and my desires have changed and the lyrics turn me off now. A good clean Texas county artist is Aaron Watson.
Troutamer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
1riot1ranger
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Alan Jackson Precious Memories album has been out for several years and hard to beat. I don't know any strictly Christian/Country artists. Mostly country artists that sing hymns
1riot1ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by catslayer View Post
I would check out Cody Johnson if I were you...

As for worship stuff, I haven't heard much.

Avoid Koe Wetzle
I like Cody and he has some pretty good songs, some of which are faith oriented. I'm just more curious why the genre doesn't seem to exist and why there aren't country artists exclusively in Christian Music. It seems most of the one's who started that way moved on to mainstream secular type music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg2002 View Post
Thanks. I will check him out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaswBOWhunter View Post
Check out Dave McMahon on Spotify, etc. he is the local DJ at the country radio station in Conroe, but he has some good Christian based songs out there with a country swing. And a heck of a good guy as well.
It seems like someone told me about him a while back. I had forgotten about him. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutamer View Post
I have felt the same way the past couple years or should I say I have grow in Christ and my desires have changed and the lyrics turn me off now. A good clean Texas county artist is Aaron Watson.
Yes sir. I used to listen to Aaron Watson and like him. I just wonder why some of these current country artists who are Christians don't sing Christian music exclusively. There are lots of extremely successful Christian artists out there in the rock genre (Jeremy Camp, David Crowder, Casting Crowns, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
Alan Jackson Precious Memories album has been out for several years and hard to beat. I don't know any strictly Christian/Country artists. Mostly country artists that sing hymns
I love that album
Old 10-16-2020, 11:25 AM   #8
sambo73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: van zandt cty

you mentioned Pandora, i have a station on mine that is traditional country hyms that is pretty good. might check it out. but i know where you are coming from about some of the lyrics.....and i love the older country and Cody Johnson and Aaron Watson(who is a member on here).
sambo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 11:25 AM   #9
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg2002 View Post
This right here, very devout Christian and has a voice like no other!

I really like zac Williams, not exactly “country” genre but he is pretty close to it and he’s got some great songs. His song “chain breaker” probably gets covered during worship at a lot of churches.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #10
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NW of Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by catslayer View Post
Avoid Koe Wetzle

Koe is far and away my favorite right now but that is the EXACT person I was thinking the OP doesn’t need to listen to as I was reading what he was looking for. That’s funny
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 11:30 AM   #11
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo73 View Post
you mentioned Pandora, i have a station on mine that is traditional country hyms that is pretty good. might check it out. but i know where you are coming from about some of the lyrics.....and i love the older country and Cody Johnson and Aaron Watson(who is a member on here).
I will have to check out the Pandora station. Cody and Aaron are both great artists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond10x View Post
This right here, very devout Christian and has a voice like no other!

I really like zac Williams, not exactly “country” genre but he is pretty close to it and he’s got some great songs. His song “chain breaker” probably gets covered during worship at a lot of churches.
Zac Williams is one of my favorites. I played guitar in our church band for a long time and we would do some of his songs.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #12
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCanesFan View Post

Koe is far and away my favorite right now but that is the EXACT person I was thinking the OP doesn’t need to listen to as I was reading what he was looking for. That’s funny
LOL. I'm not familiar with him but I can imagine. Most of the old outlaw country and some of the new outlaw stuff is exactly the kind of stuff I used to love. I still love the music but can't listen to it. It stirs something in me that I don't like. I'm convinced that most of their lyrics are like choir music compared to the life I lived at one time. The weed smoking, hard drugs, chasing women, and all kinds of craziness pretty much defined me at one time. That was a long time ago and I just don't want to listen to lyrics that stir up thoughts of that old life and glorify it. Everything starts with a thought, so I try to guard my thought-life if that makes sense.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:46 AM   #13
sambo73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: van zandt cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
LOL. I'm not familiar with him but I can imagine. Most of the old outlaw country and some of the new outlaw stuff is exactly the kind of stuff I used to love. I still love the music but can't listen to it. It stirs something in me that I don't like. I'm convinced that most of their lyrics are like choir music compared to the life I lived at one time. The weed smoking, hard drugs, chasing women, and all kinds of craziness pretty much defined me at one time. That was a long time ago and I just don't want to listen to lyrics that stir up thoughts of that old life and glorify it. Everything starts with a thought, so I try to guard my thought-life if that makes sense.
Yes sir. Keep up the faith.....I struggle a lot with it too....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
sambo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 11:50 AM   #14
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Cody johnson!
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #15
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

Try some Josh Turner or the Gaithers
doright is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 12:33 PM   #16
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

Johnny Cash did a gospel album many years ago. It is pretty good. Lots good ole gospel music.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 12:41 PM   #17
Texar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

I'm like you in some aspects.....difference is I never listened to country music.....always rock. Since I've been living for God I don't listen to the music I once listened to for the same reasons as you. I really like certain singers and groups in contemporary Christian music especially ones with bluesy/southern rock sounds. Zach Williams is one of my favorites!! Over the years I've sang in trios, quartets, praise groups, etc. in church and gravitate to styles that I can sing. Check these out if you are looking for a country type sound.

Joseph Habedank
Crabb Family
Mike Bowling
Josh Baldwin

Last edited by Texar; 10-16-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Texar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #18
LogFlinger
Six Point

Give this group a try.

http://www.brandedtx.com
LogFlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 01:04 PM   #19
bownut
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anderson County and Colorado

Try Justin Todd Harod. he’s good

Songs I’d wished I wrote is awesome. But all are good

Last edited by bownut; 10-16-2020 at 01:38 PM.
bownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 01:08 PM   #20
dirtybay
Four Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Zack. He has that southern voice. Saw him live at my church.
dirtybay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #21
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Just off the top of my head, here are a few. Some are long gone, but to me personally their music is still relevant and will always have a place in my playlist

The Original Hinsons
New Hinsons
Weston Hinson (yes, I’m a big fan of the Hinson family )
I’ll second one mentioned above...Mike Bowling (reminds me a lot of Kenny Hinson)
Gerald Crabb
Jason Crabb (although he’s more southern gospel than country gospel)
Mike Manuel (his father was a better singer in my opinion, but good luck finding any recordings of him) Mike is a Texas boy, raised in the thriving metropolitan area of New Waverly

I’m sure I’ll think of others, if I do I’ll try to remember to come post them here
TxDispatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #22
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

Jake Hooker
dclifton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 01:47 PM   #23
Neck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: DeWitt County

90.5 in Houston is all Christian Country and you can listen online.

https://kjic.org/ways-to-listen/
Neck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 02:13 PM   #24
Bdunn
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson County

Great list. I now have about 160 new songs in my prime music to listen to!
Bdunn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #25
mikey2
Associate Sponsor

Flatt Lonesome.
mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 02:28 PM   #26
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

Look up Aaron Watsons Barbed Wire Halo album. One of my all time favorite Christian Albums. Also check out Clifton Jansky. He walked away from what would have most likely been a booming country singer career and turned to Christian music. His story is really good.

I have some others that have played at our cowboy church that were really good as well. I will see if I can come up with their names.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #27
atcfisherman
Four Point

Hunt In: South East Texas

My brother and I were the odd ones growing up on the farm. We were rock-n-roll guys and still to this day play in a classic rock band. However we are devote followers of Christ and I listen to a lot of Christian music and also old Christian rock like Whiteheart, Petra, etc. I also listen to Christian country gospel. There is a station in the Houston area I believe it is 90.5 FM that is Christian country gospel.

Now as a kid growing up my dad also listened to the old cowboy songs like from Gene Autry, Sons of the San Joaqin, the Bar-J-Wranglers as well as the Gathers and some of those.
atcfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #28
J Loves Huntin
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

I love 33 miles or some of Danny Gokees older stuff.
J Loves Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 04:00 PM   #29
Randy M
Eight Point

Cody Jinks is a Christian. Listen to the lyrics he writes. Granted many of his songs bounce around a darker side of life, but his songs wreak of truth. One of my absolute favorite artists.
Randy M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #30
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Some of the old Country outlaws you listened to have Christian songs.

Johnny Cash recorded several.

Kris Krisofferson : Why me Lord

Jamey Johnson: I remember you, Lead me home,
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #31
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

I grew up on country or really Bluegrass/hillbilly Gospel music... I listened to and still do folks like
The Stanley Brother,
Flatt & Scruggs
Bill Monroe
The original Carter Family
The Louvin Brothers

and all those...

The closest that comes to that these days are:
Daily and Vincent
Ricky Skaggs
Larry Stepheson
Allison Crause and the Cox Family
Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver
Joe Mullins and the Radio Ramblers
Larry Sparks
Patty Loveless
Rhonda Vincent

I have a subscription to SiriusXM and on Sunday mornings they have 5 hours of bluegrass gospel music on Bluegrass junction Channel 62. I highly recommend it!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 08:03 PM   #32
T.hales
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: All over

Surprised no one mentioned Del Way. He’s a great Christian country artist who has been around for quite sometime. You should definitely listen to his music
T.hales is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 08:07 PM   #33
Nate Riley
Ten Point

Paul Overstreet!
Nate Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #34
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. I have already checked out several. Sorry that I haven't been able to check back into the thread. I am up in East TX hunting with spotty service.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:39 AM   #35
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Aaron Watson is a somewhat traditional country artist with a Christian flair to his music. Everything about him seems steeped in the word.

He's a TBH'r on top of that.

http://youtu.be/XZ2v6s-6Z2w

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 12:03 PM   #36
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.hales View Post
Surprised no one mentioned Del Way. He’s a great Christian country artist who has been around for quite sometime. You should definitely listen to his music
I had intended to post this when I came on now I haven’t heard any of Del Way’s stuff in the last 20 years, but his style back in the early days was definitely country. Not sure if it still is, but it is worth checking out. I did look him up and saw that he’s the pastor/overseer of several churches in the hill country
TxDispatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #37
sendit
Ten Point

I like most genres of music, country being up there. The older I get though the raw talent of some blue grass groups amaze me after all country music spun off of it.

Recently came across a group called “The Petersons” and they blow me away, looks like a family of talent. They play all sorts of stuff. Watch their video “Near the Cross” and then go watch their version of “Bohemian Rhapsody” and tell me what you think.
sendit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 12:38 PM   #38
cvanbrunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack County
Default Christians who like Country Music

Aaron Watson - member here on the green screen

Cody Johnson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cvanbrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #39
asu-indian
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas

I know what you mean. Had a 9 hr drive back from my lease in KS and flipped back and forth between Christian and country.
asu-indian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 11:35 PM   #40
K-Train
Eight Point

Hunt In: Buna, Jasper county
Default Christians who like Country Music

Sounds like a page straight out of my life. I’ve went through the same dilemma, and just had a conversation not long ago about how I think it is a missing genre and I would love to be talented enough to do it myself. Play christian music but from a country style. I think there is a crowd who desires it, but those artists seem to be few and far between. The closer I have become in my walk with Christ the less taste I have for anything that isn’t in line with God, and that’s how it should be I suppose. I still listen to country but find myself listening to more Christian music these days.

One recommendation I have found lately that I really enjoy is Larry fleet. Just a couple covers but I think you’ll love him. Check it out
https://youtu.be/1_gnjPMJqT0
https://youtu.be/Vtw4LrJE4qk
https://youtu.be/EKMqUILm6KA
https://youtu.be/ra_W29cUHCw

https://youtu.be/ra_W29cUHCw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by K-Train; 10-17-2020 at 11:38 PM.
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #41
Rubberdown
Ten Point

Did anyone say Curtis Grimes?
Rubberdown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 08:33 AM   #42
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberdown View Post
Did anyone say Curtis Grimes?

You did
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #43
czechgrubworm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Good thread... thanks for bringing this up about not wanting to listen to the mainstream and the Lord convicting your heart to turn away from it. I have done the same.
czechgrubworm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 06:16 PM   #44
huntingtx
Six Point

Hunt In: Willow City, Texas
Default Christian/Country artists

This is so helpful, especially with Austin's best christian radio station going off the air soon. Thanks ya'll. Here are all recommendations together:

Cody Johnson
Sean McConnell
Dave McMahon
Aaron Watson
Zac Williams
Josh Turner
Gaithers
Joseph Habedank
Crabb Family
Mike Bowling
Josh Baldwin
Justin Todd Harod
Hinsons
Weston Hinson
Jason Crabb
Mike Manuel
Jake Hooker
Flatt Lonesome
Clifton Jansky
Gene Autry
Gathers
Cody Jinks
Stanley Brother
Flatt & Scruggs
Del Way
Paul Overstreet
Bill Monroe
Carter Family
Louvin Brothers
Daily and Vincent
Ricky Skaggs
Larry Stepheson
Allison Crause and Cox Family
Doyle Lawson and the Radio Ramblers
Larry Sparks
Patty Loveless
Rhonda Vincent
The Petersons
Larry Fleet
Curtis Grimes
huntingtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 06:20 PM   #45
huntingtx
Six Point

Hunt In: Willow City, Texas

Also can mention the Willow City Band. They played with Robert Earl Keen this 4th of July
huntingtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 06:32 PM   #46
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bownut View Post
Try Justin Todd Harod. he’s good

Songs I’d wished I wrote is awesome. But all are good
My favorite Christian musician hands down! I have a hard time listening to most generic Christian music because most don’t keep me interested due to their music skills/vocals.
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 08:01 PM   #47
RLB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comal County

orrrrrrrr, just keep listening to Worship Music, it seems God may be trying to tell
you something.
RLB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 08:21 PM   #48
Mtltx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill country

I have t heard much of his other music but, just heard a song the other day by Larry Fleet. It’s called “ Where I find God” . I really like it and just learned it on the guitar.
Mtltx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 08:27 PM   #49
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaswBOWhunter View Post
I have listened to Dave for at least 15 years. I really enjoy the funny farm morning show. His song That don’t sound weak to me is awesome. It does not hurt he is a bow hunter either. I see you are sporting his beard.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 08:34 PM   #50
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingtx View Post
This is so helpful, especially with Austin's best christian radio station going off the air soon. Thanks ya'll. Here are all recommendations together:

Cody Johnson
Sean McConnell
Dave McMahon
Aaron Watson
Zac Williams
Josh Turner
Gaithers
Joseph Habedank
Crabb Family
Mike Bowling
Josh Baldwin
Justin Todd Harod
Hinsons
Weston Hinson
Jason Crabb
Mike Manuel
Jake Hooker
Flatt Lonesome
Clifton Jansky
Gene Autry
Gathers
Cody Jinks
Stanley Brothers
Flatt & Scruggs
Del Way
Paul Overstreet
Bill Monroe
Carter Family
Louvin Brothers
Daily and Vincent
Ricky Skaggs
Larry Stepheson
Allison Crause and Cox Family
Joe Mullins and the Radio Ramblers

Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver

Larry Sparks
Patty Loveless
Rhonda Vincent
The Petersons
Larry Fleet
Curtis Grimes

...just a couple minor corrections.

Thanks for putting this list together... right click save!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top