Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #51
axisbuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

Great looking buck..hope he shows up this afternoon. Good luck
axisbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #52
tbgascorer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Good luck and have fun!
tbgascorer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 03:04 PM   #53
TCR²
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Angelina/Shelby Counties

Good luck fellas!
TCR² is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 04:07 PM   #54
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by axisbuck View Post
Great looking buck..hope he shows up this afternoon. Good luck
I hope the one we saw shows up this afternoon! I pit a tripod in his living room so we’ll see. Bout to start heading out pretty soon.
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #55
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

OK, I'm all caught up on this thread!! Shootabiggun! Guess it could a been worse... could have had your quiver and NO BOW!! I did that once, but it wasn't 6 hours away... only 45 minutes, but it might as well have been 6 hours because it would have been dark by the time I went home and came back...
Love that Dibol shirt Tito has on too!! Lots of good memories in the woods round that town and out east on 1818...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #56
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
OK, I'm all caught up on this thread!! Shootabiggun! Guess it could a been worse... could have had your quiver and NO BOW!! I did that once, but it wasn't 6 hours away... only 45 minutes, but it might as well have been 6 hours because it would have been dark by the time I went home and came back...
Love that Dibol shirt Tito has on too!! Lots of good memories in the woods round that town and out east on 1818...
I currently live about 5mi east of town on 1818. I have a house and 5ac for sale in the middle of Renfro and Buttermilk if you want your very own place to relive those memories anytime lol.

We’re headed in, will update in a few. I’ve got a hike and I’m going to freeze to death but I have arrows with sharp stuff in the end of them!
Old 10-16-2020, 05:22 PM   #57
jooger17
Pope & Young

I’m set up and ready. I can see a lot of country but the magic is this old grown up cattle pen in between 4 shelter belts and sectioned off wheat fields. The wheat hasn’t started to come up yet so they should be pretty excited about a feeder. The good news is the wind is in my face. The bad news is THE WIND IS IN MY FACE!!! It’s gassing out of the SW AT 20-25. The wind don’t bother these deer too much and it typically helps the hunting because they’re not as spooky. We just set this tripod up this morning so I guess this is as good of a trail as any. I’m not crazy about the set up, but in short tree country you kind of have to take what you can get.

Burr and Tito are in the blind I hunted this morning and I’ll bet every dollar I’ve got something is bleeding over there in less than an hour. It should be a good evening.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:42 PM   #58
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

Lay em down Steve. Pinewoods will be happening when you get back
Capt.Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #59
jooger17
Pope & Young

I bailed... Every went in to a spot and it was the exact spot you wanted to sit, got set up, everything is perfect... but it just don’t feel right? That’s what happened. I got up 5min after my last update and high tailed it to the Kville Quarter. It’s a new piece that has a feeder spinning but no stand/ blind. I came here to see if I can learn something about it. There’s a small 6pt and some other kind of janky buck under the feeder now.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #60
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Boy howdy! An East texas redneck gets a little taste of what it’s like to hunt in “gods country”, instead of that awful Pineywoods east Texas mess and he is hooked!! Lol!! Good luck Jooger.....that panhandle hunting is pretty special. Some decent deer too!!
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #61
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthrough View Post
Boy howdy! An East texas redneck gets a little taste of what it’s like to hunt in “gods country”, instead of that awful Pineywoods east Texas mess and he is hooked!! Lol!! Good luck Jooger.....that panhandle hunting is pretty special. Some decent deer too!!
I used to hunt up this way back in highschool and a few years after and finally got a line on getting back up here. I do miss my piney woods though. Next 2 weekends I’ll probably be there.

Several big mature bucks here but nothing with a lot of inches.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #62
tomcat8910
Ten Point

Hunt In: polk,walker and san jacinto county

Good luck!
tomcat8910 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #63
jooger17
Pope & Young

The way I read the text, Tito killed a doe and she never made it out of the feeder pen lol
Old 10-16-2020, 07:37 PM   #64
jooger17
Pope & Young

Great afternoon, saw some nice deer, and learned a lot about the Kville Quarter. Tito mashed a doe so I’m headed to camp to cook fajitas and watch Burr skin a deer.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #65
jooger17
Pope & Young

They should have been back to camp by now. No redponse to txt or calls. Headed out to find them.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #66
Kade Thompson
Spike

Good luck in the morning. Small bucks chasing does everywhere in the river bottom. Next week gonna be on fire round here!
Kade Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 08:17 PM   #67
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Hey Steve, on her mother's side of the family, most of my wife's folks are buried there at Whitehouse. They was all from Shawnee Prairie. Her grandfather was one of the pasture riders for Renfro and another one... They had a beautiful place back in there. I didn't know you lived out that way. I thought for some reason you was a Houston County boy... don't know why I thought that... I killed my first deer in the old Shawnee Creek Hunting club as a kid... My dad was one of the charter members of that place WAY back there...
Old 10-16-2020, 08:18 PM   #68
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

...standing by for a report! Hope all is OK...
Old 10-16-2020, 09:15 PM   #69
jooger17
Pope & Young

Found’m. Burr was out doing the Lord’s work! We have a batch of coons that have spun out 200lbs of corn in less than a week in spite of the coon cage. He stuck around with Tito’s X Bow and a head light and put a hurting on 3 of them lol. Fajitas are about to hit the pit and the hide is getting pulled off Tito’s doe. Fire is crackling and the beer is plenty cold. William and his son Hunter are pointed this way in the morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Hey Steve, on her mother's side of the family, most of my wife's folks are buried there at Whitehouse. They was all from Shawnee Prairie. Her grandfather was one of the pasture riders for Renfro and another one... They had a beautiful place back in there. I didn't know you lived out that way. I thought for some reason you was a Houston County boy... don't know why I thought that... I killed my first deer in the old Shawnee Creek Hunting club as a kid... My dad was one of the charter members of that place WAY back there...
Yes sir I know all of those places well! I grew up and went to school in Huntington, currently reside off of 1818 and in the process of buying my grandparent’s old place in Burke (Where the Whoshale Storage buildings are). I spent most of my high school years shooting beer cans out of the river in the old Johnson Bottom!
Old 10-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #70
jooger17
Pope & Young

These are the kind of nights that mold the minds of boys and turn then into men. Y’all find a better place than a good deer camp with wood burning in the fire pit you let me know where it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2020, 11:54 PM   #71
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post

These are the kind of nights that mold the minds of boys and turn then into men. Y’all find a better place than a good deer camp with wood burning in the fire pit you let me know where it is!

Amen. I've got some good places to hunt but miss the camp atmosphere...that's a huge part of it for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 05:12 AM   #72
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

Man I can’t keep up with all these live threads lol

Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 06:52 AM   #73
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post
Man I can’t keep up with all these live threads lol

There should only be one or two more before I start the season thread. I’m moving up here on the 1st to start guiding full time for either the remainder of the season or until I go back to work. And by guiding full time I mean locating groups of deer for hunters that are coming while also hunting for myself and dropping them off early enough that I have time to get to my stands as well lol.

Today is going to be a good day. Wind is hammering this morning and temps warmed up a little bit. Tito and Burr are in the same blind as last night, I think we’ll start calling that stand the coon stand. Tito still has killing on his mind but I did notice that ol Burr took that BowTech with him this morning.

I’m in The Snow Cone Stand where Burr and I killed our bucks last year and I killed the doe this year. For those that don’t remember it snowed late October last year and I killed a really nice 9pt on video here.

We have had 9 kinds of hell out of cameras here but I put one on a mock scrape that I made the weekend before season opened and there’s been a hammer around. When the wind kicks up these deer like to stick to the shelter belts and when they’re working the shelter belts there’s not a better stand on earth than the snow cone stand.

William and his son Hunter are rolling out sometime this morning. I found two deer yesterday that would tickle most grown men pink much less an 11 year old kid! Burr and I will have a base built this morning and Will/ Hunter will be setting up on him this evening.

Turning the phone off now, will update when day breaks.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:59 AM   #74
jooger17
Pope & Young

Pinché coyote just rolled through. Too dark to shoot.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:25 AM   #75
jooger17
Pope & Young

One of my big shooters just rolled through and did what big bucks do. They’re bad about getting here just before the feeder throws. He slipped past the south window and made a big loop around the feeder. He swung wide enough yhay when he was coming back to the feeder he caught my wind. Big stud 150+ 10pt
Old 10-17-2020, 07:30 AM   #76
jooger17
Pope & Young

Feeder just went off. Maybe he’s stupid and still in ear shot.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:06 AM   #77
jooger17
Pope & Young

There goes the neighborhood

Old 10-17-2020, 08:09 AM   #78
chewjr
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas,Menard

Good luck!
chewjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #79
jooger17
Pope & Young

Pretty slow this morning. Burr isn’t seeing the normal parade of deer where he is either. Beautiful morning though.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #80
Hsbtgarcia
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio, Polk, Angelina, Counties, Oklahoma, Kansas, Africa

Good luck buddy!
Hsbtgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 10:03 AM   #81
jooger17
Pope & Young

We’re back at camp gnawing on some left over sausage. We’re about to roll out and get what is hopefully the last of our work this year finished.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #82
jooger17
Pope & Young

Finished up our work and Will/ Hunter are coming in hot. They should be in camp in 30min or so. I’m gonna make sure they get pointed in the right direction and head in myself. It’s warmed up but should be an exciting afternoon. Burr and Tito are gonna go to the Tripod I bailed on yesterday and I’m going back to the same stand as this morning. William and Hunter will be at the new Kville property where I sat and watched yesterday.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #83
jooger17
Pope & Young

In a little later than I wanted but I’m set up and ready. It’s warmer this evening but the wi d has laid a little and to me for up here it’s perfect. I’d say 10-12 with gusts 15-18. I’ll keep y’all in it as it happens.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:00 PM   #84
jooger17
Pope & Young

Dang it... I have this feeder spinning too early. It just went off.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:03 PM   #85
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
Dang it... I have this feeder spinning too early. It just went off.

Things are picking up! I seem to remember a recent hunt where the feeder wasn’t even working lol

Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 05:28 PM   #86
Kade Thompson
Spike

Mine went off at dark last night. I need to ease over there and get it set.
Kade Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 06:23 PM   #87
jooger17
Pope & Young

It’s been dead for me so far. No word from Burr. Will is doing his level best to talk Hunter out of shooting a 5pt lol
Old 10-17-2020, 06:35 PM   #88
jooger17
Pope & Young

So there’s a dead cow about 250yds from me and a group of coyotes are LIVING on it. I walked within 75yds this morning and they didn‘t spook at all. There’ll be a suppressed.300 black out with a thermal on it in play tonight.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #89
jooger17
Pope & Young

I should have stayed at camp and drank/ cooked... I’ve been covered up by cows all afternoon
Old 10-17-2020, 08:04 PM   #90
jooger17
Pope & Young

Word is Tito just killed his personal best!!! Will and Hunter had one of the really big ones we saw on them but it was after legal shooting light.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:05 PM   #91
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

In for pics!! should be a good 'un!
Old 10-17-2020, 08:21 PM   #92
jooger17
Pope & Young

So before the deer and boys get here to camp let me give y’all a little back story on Dakota aka Tito. I may have the wrong diagnosis name but if I’m not mistaken he was born with Larsen’s Disease. He has almost zero use of his hands, arms, and legs. He’s a legitimate Quadriplegic. Dr’s said he’d never be able to live any kind of a normal life and they were right. He lives life WAAAAAAAY better than normal! He plays sports, loves cars, too of his class, and kills critters with the best of them.

His daddy Burr is one of my very best friends and one of the very best deer hunters that I know. When Dakota was 2 or 3 Burr would zip him up in a backpack and hike into his places in the DCNF, climb up in a tree climber and Dakota would hunt with him. Burr and I build him a make shift tripod and shooting apparatus when he was 4 and he started shooting. I saw the caldwell fieldpods somewhere in a commercial and got him one and he has been a stone cold killer ever since.

He’s one of the funnest humans you’ll ever be around and you’ll never find anyone that loves the outdoors as much as him. He may need just a little bit of help getting in and out of the stand but that’s where the help stops. From there he’s got it. The stand they hunted this afternoon was a 10’ 1 man tripod. Burr carried him up the stand and had him in his lap the entire hunt. There’s not a whole hell of a lot of people on the planet that wants their boy to be successful more than Burr does for Dakota. And that my friends is why Dakota is absolutely not handicapped. His parents never let him be!
Old 10-17-2020, 08:30 PM   #93
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

That is awesome! Sounds like Burr is one hell of a guy with an incredible son!
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #94
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Thats a great parent there and youre a great friend for helping. Congrats to the young man on his trophy this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 09:09 PM   #95
jooger17
Pope & Young

Old 10-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #96
txheartshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb & Gillespie counties

Great thread! Congrats young man.

txheartshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 09:24 PM   #97
BURTONboy
Pope & Young