Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #51
darralld
Eight Point
 
darralld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Default

I just got a JX3 & this thing is nice!
darralld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2020, 08:24 PM   #52
IkemanTX
Ten Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helical View Post
Do they work well in twisted oaks? Do you have to have a certain length of relatively straight tree? Thx.
I LOVE sitting gnarly trees in a saddle. You end up with so much cover that you can almost dance around and not be picked off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu-indian View Post
Doesn't look comfortable for an all day or extended hunt. Anyone have experience? Need it from someone preferably an older dude like me.
I just did 13 hours straight in a Tethrd Phantom for the Oklahoma opener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perow View Post
Hey man I was REALLY looking forward to the class your were putting together and this stupid COVID crap killed that, any chance you will try again after season?



I really want to move into a saddle but have questions and since no trade shows this year it has made it harder for my decision on what gear to go with
Hopefully we can put one together. I donít know how much theyíre going to be wanting to keep pushing big in-person events like the Teach-N-Train events due to the logistics cost of getting everything across country. At the very least, I hope to get together with several guys and do some kind of Dallas area meet up regardless.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 07:27 PM   #53
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point
 
Spoiled_TN_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Bastrop
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

I run 4x hawk heliums 20" 2 steps with 1 step amsteel aiders, predator platform, and tethrd phantom saddle. In my opinion. Y pack isn't any lighter than running my lonewolf stand. The advantages come with maneuverability to shoot 360 degrees around a tree and keep the tree between you and the deer. With a stand, you are where you are, stuck sticking out into the open.
Attached Images
  
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 07:38 PM   #54
perow
Pope & Young
 
perow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Garland
Hunt In: Moran
Default

How long on average are most of you guys sitting?
perow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #55
asu-indian
Ten Point
 
asu-indian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lake Fork
Hunt In: Texas, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perow View Post
How long on average are most of you guys sitting?
I'm still a little skeptical too. Lets see some of those big deer killed out of them instead of just dudes slinging in them.

Last edited by asu-indian; 10-04-2020 at 07:54 PM.
asu-indian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 08:05 PM   #56
Deafishunter
Six Point
 
Deafishunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: West, TX
Hunt In: Abbott
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu-indian View Post
I'm still a little skeptical too. Lets see some of those big deer killed out of them instead of just dudes slinging in them.
I agree with this. Iíd like to see the kills done from a tree saddle.
Deafishunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 08:07 PM   #57
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 08:29 PM   #58
IkemanTX
Ten Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default Tree saddle hunting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perow View Post
How long on average are most of you guys sitting?

I like all day sits, and have done them for 20-30% of my sits for about 5 years, and with diy saddles. I sat 13 hours in a Tethrd Phantom on Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu-indian View Post
I'm still a little skeptical too. Lets see some of those big deer killed out of them instead of just dudes slinging in them.
see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deafishunter View Post
I agree with this. Iíd like to see the kills done from a tree saddle.

^^^^^^
I shot this public land P&Y out of a diy sit drag saddle last year...














Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by IkemanTX; 10-04-2020 at 08:34 PM.
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 08:44 PM   #59
bakin7005
Ten Point
 
bakin7005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North Richland Hills
Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ya cause we all know real hunters sit in a barker lounger in a heated box with a thermos of coffee and a box of cinnamon rolls and stare at a feeder until straight up 9am.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 08:56 PM   #60
IkemanTX
Ten Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
Ya cause we all know real hunters sit in a barker lounger in a heated box with a thermos of coffee and a box of cinnamon rolls and stare at a feeder until straight up 9am.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Lmao!!!!!!! This made my night.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 09:06 PM   #61
Deafishunter
Six Point
 
Deafishunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: West, TX
Hunt In: Abbott
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
Ya cause we all know real hunters sit in a barker lounger in a heated box with a thermos of coffee and a box of cinnamon rolls and stare at a feeder until straight up 9am.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Hahaha. This is Funny!
Deafishunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 09:08 PM   #62
asu-indian
Ten Point
 
asu-indian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lake Fork
Hunt In: Texas, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
Ya cause we all know real hunters sit in a barker lounger in a heated box with a thermos of coffee and a box of cinnamon rolls and stare at a feeder until straight up 9am.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Dang right, and kill giants. However I do belly crawl to my box blind and keep the thermo on low to keep from spooking deer. Lol. I actually hunt out of a gametamer and use climbing sticks. I have gone to a seat pad in recent years. Iím just not fond of punishing myself when trying to have fun But if the saddle is fun for you, thatís awesome too.
asu-indian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 09:13 PM   #63
IkemanTX
Ten Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu-indian View Post
Dang right, and kill giants. However I do belly crawl to my box blind and keep the thermo on low to keep from spooking deer. Lol. I actually hunt out of a gametamer and use climbing sticks. I have gone to a seat pad in recent years. Iím just not fond of punishing myself when trying to have fun But if the saddle is fun for you, thatís awesome too.

I find the saddle to be more comfortable than a portable stand. My back pain was the reason I made the switch in the first place. I have 2 disk subluxations and scoliosis in my back, and the regular stands were killing me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 09:30 PM   #64
asu-indian
Ten Point
 
asu-indian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lake Fork
Hunt In: Texas, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
I find the saddle to be more comfortable than a portable stand. My back pain was the reason I made the switch in the first place. I have 2 disk subluxations and scoliosis in my back, and the regular stands were killing me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have back pain too. Thatís one reason I hunt out of a gametamer. It has a chair with a back that swivels 360 degrees and an octagon platform. I practice shooting sitting down and have shot dozens of great deer out of it.
asu-indian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 10:04 PM   #65
Tex
Ten Point
 
Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lexington
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu-indian View Post
I have back pain too. Thatís one reason I hunt out of a gametamer. It has a chair with a back that swivels 360 degrees and an octagon platform. I practice shooting sitting down and have shot dozens of great deer out of it.

I just started hunting out of a saddle late last year. Got it in January and hunted in it through February. I have bad back issues and have three GameTamers. I was to the point that I hated to hunt in anything else. Lock-on stands kill my back. With the saddle I was able to use the cheap hang on platforms and hunt for hours. Over the summer I altered a few hang one and just use the seat portion as my platform. I hunted for 12 hours in three sits this weekend and feel fine. No back issues and had deer walk right under me. For me itís gametamers or saddle from here on out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2020, 08:10 AM   #66
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt
 
Arrowsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bloomfield, Iowa
Hunt In: Iowa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
Ya cause we all know real hunters sit in a barker lounger in a heated box with a thermos of coffee and a box of cinnamon rolls and stare at a feeder until straight up 9am.

Sent from my SM-G970U using
Best post on this thread......but you left out.....looking up from the Ipad to see that nice buck walking away.

No worshiping the 3 legged icon (feeder) here in Iowa. Hunting up here is like hunting Hagerman everyday. If you have ever hunted Hagerman you will know what I am talking about.

I have two ladder stands, 2 Game Tamers, 4 Lock On Stands, and a Tethrd Phantom, Tethrd Predator Platform, Hawk Helium sticks (Three 30" sticks) and a Back Woods Mobile Gear Versa Aider to increase my climbing height with the sticks.

I use all of these types of stands and methods for different applications.
The two ladders and two Game Tamers are in semi permanent locations. Two of the Lock On stands are set for the set for this season. The other two Lock On stands will be moved around as needed. The saddle rig is strictly for hang and hunt on our farm and for WMA public land hunts.

BTW.....I ran into two of the Hunting Public guys at of one of the public land spots that I hunt. We were both scouting basically the same area. They said they took two bucks out that general area last year. The eastern edge of this 6700 acre WMA is 8 miles from my house here in Iowa.
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2020, 08:06 AM   #67
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young
 
SFAbowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gunter, Texas
Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
Best post on this thread......but you left out.....looking up from the Ipad to see that nice buck walking away.

No worshiping the 3 legged icon (feeder) here in Iowa. Hunting up here is like hunting Hagerman everyday. If you have ever hunted Hagerman you will know what I am talking about.

I have two ladder stands, 2 Game Tamers, 4 Lock On Stands, and a Tethrd Phantom, Tethrd Predator Platform, Hawk Helium sticks (Three 30" sticks) and a Back Woods Mobile Gear Versa Aider to increase my climbing height with the sticks.

I use all of these types of stands and methods for different applications.
The two ladders and two Game Tamers are in semi permanent locations. Two of the Lock On stands are set for the set for this season. The other two Lock On stands will be moved around as needed. The saddle rig is strictly for hang and hunt on our farm and for WMA public land hunts.

BTW.....I ran into two of the Hunting Public guys at of one of the public land spots that I hunt. We were both scouting basically the same area. They said they took two bucks out that general area last year. The eastern edge of this 6700 acre WMA is 8 miles from my house here in Iowa.
That's pretty awesome that you got to run into the THP guys out there. They have made me miss hunting public land. Getting back into it this year.
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2020, 08:16 AM   #68
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young
 
SFAbowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gunter, Texas
Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK
Default

I have hunted public land for a long time. 10-15 years probably. Used to carry in heavy hang on stands and sticks, then moved to a climber, then carted my climber and gear in. I purchased some land a few years back and quit hunting public land. Started hanging permanent stands on my place, but got tired of sitting the same old spots and trying to move the heavy hang ons. Been wanting to make the jump into saddle hunting for a couple of years, but didn't want to spend the money. I made the switch late this summer and just tried it out for the first time on Sunday. I am running the Cruzr XC saddle, out on a limb ridge runner platform, hawk helium 20" sticks with amsteel daisy chains, and a versa aider. 90% of the time I'm in a stand, I am standing up. The saddle was super comfy, the only thing I was not a fan of was trying to adjust the prusik knot on my linemans and tether. I'm switching to a mechanical ascender on both to be able to adjust on the fly. My whole setup for saddle, platform, and sticks weighs less than 20 pounds. Maybe less than 15. It is light and mobile. It's going to be awesome hunting public land and my place in OK with this setup. If anyone wants to try it out and is in the Collin County/Grayson County area, hit me up.
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2020, 10:06 AM   #69
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt
 
Arrowsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bloomfield, Iowa
Hunt In: Iowa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
That's pretty awesome that you got to run into the THP guys out there. They have made me miss hunting public land. Getting back into it this year.
Yes !! All the THP guys live over in Albia which is about 30 minutes from me. Almost all the guys have moved from other states to Iowa as their home base. If you live in Iowa you can shoot a lot of deer here and hunt whitetails in almost any other state. I have also run into them at Casey's getting breakfast.....gas station donuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
I have hunted public land for a long time. 10-15 years probably. Used to carry in heavy hang on stands and sticks, then moved to a climber, then carted my climber and gear in. I purchased some land a few years back and quit hunting public land. Started hanging permanent stands on my place, but got tired of sitting the same old spots and trying to move the heavy hang ons. Been wanting to make the jump into saddle hunting for a couple of years, but didn't want to spend the money. I made the switch late this summer and just tried it out for the first time on Sunday. I am running the Cruzr XC saddle, out on a limb ridge runner platform, hawk helium 20" sticks with amsteel daisy chains, and a versa aider. 90% of the time I'm in a stand, I am standing up. The saddle was super comfy, the only thing I was not a fan of was trying to adjust the prusik knot on my linemans and tether. I'm switching to a mechanical ascender on both to be able to adjust on the fly. My whole setup for saddle, platform, and sticks weighs less than 20 pounds. Maybe less than 15. It is light and mobile. It's going to be awesome hunting public land and my place in OK with this setup. If anyone wants to try it out and is in the Collin County/Grayson County area, hit me up.
You got a great rig. You will enjoy it.

Get you a couple of Ropeman 1 ascenders and you will be set. They make using your lineman's rope and tether much easier.
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2020, 12:14 PM   #70
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young
 
SFAbowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gunter, Texas
Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
Yes !! All the THP guys live over in Albia which is about 30 minutes from me. Almost all the guys have moved from other states to Iowa as their home base. If you live in Iowa you can shoot a lot of deer here and hunt whitetails in almost any other state. I have also run into them at Casey's getting breakfast.....gas station donuts.



You got a great rig. You will enjoy it.

Get you a couple of Ropeman 1 ascenders and you will be set. They make using your lineman's rope and tether much easier.
I would love to hunt whitetails in Iowa. Need to look into putting in up there and hunting public land up there.
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2020, 01:43 PM   #71
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt
 
Arrowsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bloomfield, Iowa
Hunt In: Iowa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
I would love to hunt whitetails in Iowa. Need to look into putting in up there and hunting public land up there.
There is some awesome public hunting up here. It actually has very low hunting pressure. Especially during bow season and especially during the week. You don't want to hunt it during firearms season, but during bow season it's awesome.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #72
Drewagg04
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Spring, Texas
Hunt In: Hill country/East Texas piney woods
Default

Anyone have a used saddle they may want to let go of? Ive been wanting to give it a try instead of my hang on stand but the prices are decently higher. Seems like all the reviews are pretty good just depends on what fits you the best.
Drewagg04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2020, 03:53 PM   #73
bigt6450
Six Point
 
bigt6450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Pflugerville
Default

Been thinking of trying one out myself. Really leaning that way because I hunt private land my in-laws have, but I end up leaving my step and hang-on up all season. Worried about the weather compromising them one day.

Seems like with the saddle you can hang and go pretty quickly.
bigt6450 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #74
Chad74
Eight Point
 
Chad74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Celina, Texas
Hunt In: Callahan County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
I have hunted public land for a long time. 10-15 years probably. Used to carry in heavy hang on stands and sticks, then moved to a climber, then carted my climber and gear in. I purchased some land a few years back and quit hunting public land. Started hanging permanent stands on my place, but got tired of sitting the same old spots and trying to move the heavy hang ons. Been wanting to make the jump into saddle hunting for a couple of years, but didn't want to spend the money. I made the switch late this summer and just tried it out for the first time on Sunday. I am running the Cruzr XC saddle, out on a limb ridge runner platform, hawk helium 20" sticks with amsteel daisy chains, and a versa aider. 90% of the time I'm in a stand, I am standing up. The saddle was super comfy, the only thing I was not a fan of was trying to adjust the prusik knot on my linemans and tether. I'm switching to a mechanical ascender on both to be able to adjust on the fly. My whole setup for saddle, platform, and sticks weighs less than 20 pounds. Maybe less than 15. It is light and mobile. It's going to be awesome hunting public land and my place in OK with this setup. If anyone wants to try it out and is in the Collin County/Grayson County area, hit me up.
I'm down the street in Celina and would love to WATCH you setup and climb one day.
Chad74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2020, 04:17 PM   #75
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young
 
SFAbowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gunter, Texas
Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad74 View Post
I'm down the street in Celina and would love to WATCH you setup and climb one day.

Cool. Iím in Gunter. Iím sure we can setup a day here soon and we can try it out. Iíll show you everything Iím doing. This will be a learning year for the most part for me. Just need to get my system down and itíll be easy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2020, 04:32 PM   #76
Chad74
Eight Point
 
Chad74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Celina, Texas
Hunt In: Callahan County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
Cool. Iím in Gunter. Iím sure we can setup a day here soon and we can try it out. Iíll show you everything Iím doing. This will be a learning year for the most part for me. Just need to get my system down and itíll be easy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sounds good just let me know. Thanks
Chad74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2020, 08:12 PM   #77
Deafishunter
Six Point
 
Deafishunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: West, TX
Hunt In: Abbott
Default

Got to hunt in my new saddle. I understand why most of y’all ditched the tree stands. Definitely very nice and comfy, just gotta get used to it.
Deafishunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 10:07 PM   #78
Haaker
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Lewisville
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
Cool. Iím in Gunter. Iím sure we can setup a day here soon and we can try it out. Iíll show you everything Iím doing. This will be a learning year for the most part for me. Just need to get my system down and itíll be easy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want in on this meet up


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Haaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #79
thelongchamp
Nubbin' Buck
 
thelongchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hideaway, TX
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

This is my 4th season in a saddle and itís my favorite way to hunt. I use a ring of steps for a platform and my only complaint is itís tough to get it tight quietly, but not impossible. Paired with a set of knee pads, I have sat MANY all day hunts comfortably. I rigged up an old bino strap to some small carabiners and a couple prusiks on my bridge for a back rest, very handy around hour 6
thelongchamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #80
bigt6450
Six Point
 
bigt6450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Pflugerville
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
Yes !! All the THP guys live over in Albia which is about 30 minutes from me. Almost all the guys have moved from other states to Iowa as their home base. If you live in Iowa you can shoot a lot of deer here and hunt whitetails in almost any other state. I have also run into them at Casey's getting breakfast.....gas station donuts.



You got a great rig. You will enjoy it.

Get you a couple of Ropeman 1 ascenders and you will be set. They make using your lineman's rope and tether much easier.
I got a Ropeman 1 to use on a linesman's belt, but I read that you're not supposed to use them on a tether. I don't have a saddle yet so I have no experience, but from what I read on saddle hunter.com they're not rated to handle the static shock caused by a fall (assuming your tether wasn't tight when you fell)
bigt6450 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #81
IkemanTX
Ten Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt6450 View Post
I got a Ropeman 1 to use on a linesman's belt, but I read that you're not supposed to use them on a tether. I don't have a saddle yet so I have no experience, but from what I read on saddle hunter.com they're not rated to handle the static shock caused by a fall (assuming your tether wasn't tight when you fell)

I have run a ropeman1 on my tether for 4 years, never had a problem.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #82
bakin7005
Ten Point
 
bakin7005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North Richland Hills
Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
I have run a ropeman1 on my tether for 4 years, never had a problem.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. Actually, my lineman and tether are identical besides the color. That way I have 2 linemans while climbing so your never disconnected from the tree when you come to a branch.

Last edited by bakin7005; 10-16-2020 at 12:06 PM.
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #83
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

I was gonna say it was a young mans game, but then I see Arrowsmith with all that gray hair...kinda shot me down
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 03:07 PM   #84
IkemanTX
Ten Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
I was gonna say it was a young mans game, but then I see Arrowsmith with all that gray hair...kinda shot me down

I figure that if Warren Womack (73) and John Eberhart (mid 60ís) can hunt 50+ days in a saddle a season, I should have NO PROBLEM making it through an all day sit or two!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #85
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt
 
Arrowsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bloomfield, Iowa
Hunt In: Iowa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
I figure that if Warren Womack (73) and John Eberhart (mid 60ís) can hunt 50+ days in a saddle a season, I should have NO PROBLEM making it through an all day sit or two!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am 66. My journal from last years shows I did 46 sits. 92 times up and down trees. I am shooting for 50+ sits this season. I am going to start hunting around the 20th. The pre-rut is just starting to heat up, but I am still not getting daylight buck pictures. I dont want to booger my areas up and I dont want to get burned out before it gets good.

I have shifted some on my cameras to scrapes. There are new scrapes appearing daily. Here are a couple of pictures from the last couple of nights. Both of these cams are within 300 yards of our house. I included a picture of what the area looks like in daylight and then a buck picture at night.
Attached Images
       
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 10:15 PM   #86
Burnadell
Pope & Young
 
Burnadell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: White Oak
Hunt In: Bee County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
Ya cause we all know real hunters sit in a barker lounger in a heated box with a thermos of coffee and a box of cinnamon rolls and stare at a feeder until straight up 9am.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Well, yes, of course!

I am not going to switch to a saddle for my fat arse at my mature age, but I have a question. If the deer comes in at a direction that requires a swivel around the tree to get in position, it seems that there is a high risk of too much movement several feet away from the trunk, sticking out like a sore thumb. In a gametamer type, you simply and quietly swivel a chair, close to the trunk with less silouett.

So for a permanent stand, a hang on makes more sense to me, but I can see where it makes sense for portability.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 10:45 PM   #87
TexasArchery_27
Eight Point
 
TexasArchery_27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Blue Ridge
Hunt In: Red River & Collin County
Default

This is my first year hunting out of a saddle. Thereís a few things I should point out after watching countless hours of YouTube, trying out a few products and having hunted quite a few times in this year so far.

1.) dont get too crazy with the weight reduction. Donít try to go super minimalist with your gear. Thereís definitely a trade off when it comes to weight, packability, comfort, and safety. I went from 40 pounds of gear (bow, boots, stand, harness, ropes, binos, climbing sticks, and arrows) with a lock on. With the saddle, Iím at 26 pounds of gear. I could have that down to 19 or so pounds of total gear if I really spent a lot more money and skimped on comfort and safety.

2.) The saddle will make you feel a lot safer. Iím 315 pounds, and terrified of heights. Facing the tree, and being under constant tension with either a tether or linemanís belt getting up the tree make me feel a lot safer. With a saddle, youíre using a fall restraint device. A traditional harness is a fall arrest device. Thereís a huge difference in the two. Like in medicine, prevention is better and more feasible than a cure.

3.) Practice shooting out of the saddle and practice different angles and positioning your body to make the tough shots. Trust me when I say itís more difficult and takes more strategy to shoot out of a saddle and keep good form of the deer donít come in exactly as you plan for.

4) you do not need to get 25+ feet in the tree. Just get to where youíre concealed enough and can shoot about the brush, and through the canopy. Back cover isnít as much of a factor, and you can rely on the tree in between you and where you expect the deer to come from as cover. Donít get in too litttle, or too big of a tree. You want basketball size or so. I have had success so far hunting at 3 feet, all the way up to 14 feet.

5.) TrophyLine makes the most Lock-on to saddle convert friendly platform out there. Itís much roomier than the Predator, and allows greater stability when side loaded for around the tree shots. Itís 2 pounds heavier than the Predator, and 1 pound heavier than the Predator XL. Itís well worth it for comfort and familiarity. I wear size 13 boots and it offers plenty of room to shift around and change the angle of pressure if my feet fatigue.

6.) At ground level, play with bridge length and tether height. Different angles change pressure points and ability to draw back without hitting the bridge.

7.) Dont focus too heavily on gear. Watching all the videos and becoming a member of Saddle Hunter can have you constantly chasing new gear and more efficient ways to hunt. This is important, but remember - equipment is only part of the equation. Doing more scouting than hunting, and strategically playing the wind and mastering the entry/ exit will bring you more success than gear ever will.


8.) unless youíre a really athletic guy with lots of experience climbing, do not buy into the DRT/SRT or wild Edge Steps with naider/swaider. In my opinion, those have a much higher learning curve than traditional climbing sticks.

9.) Understand that mini sticks are more packable, and maybe a little lighter - but theyíre inefficient as far as height. I would not put an aider on anything but the bottom stick. If you decide to buy double steps, understand that they are 3/8Ē and are very painful if you have big feet. If you are super weight conscious with your gear, check out the scout platform. It attaches to the top stick and eliminates about 2 pounds over the Predator platform. You will sacrifice comfort.

Overall, understand that with any system, there are always trade offs. Donít switch over solely for 1 aspect. Itís a tool, but not the ultimate tool. It does have benefits, but downsides as well. Make the system work for you, your skills, comfort level, and your budget.
TexasArchery_27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #88
Burnadell
Pope & Young
 
Burnadell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: White Oak
Hunt In: Bee County
Default

^^^ Good advice and tips, TexasArchery27.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #89
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

I have looked at these and the only thing I see is me hitting the ground
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #90
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt
 
Arrowsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bloomfield, Iowa
Hunt In: Iowa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
I have looked at these and the only thing I see is me hitting the ground
I posted this above but its worth posting again. Take a look.

Also, as long as you're tether is connected you really cannot fall. I have seen some videos where guys have tried every way possible to fall (the one in the link below). You can basically flip completely upside down and not fall.

This video is pretty dang funny but it will answer your questions on tree saddle safety. Please watch you will enjoy.

https://youtu.be/f3SLXqt9aS4
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #91
IkemanTX
Ten Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Well, yes, of course!

I am not going to switch to a saddle for my fat arse at my mature age, but I have a question. If the deer comes in at a direction that requires a swivel around the tree to get in position, it seems that there is a high risk of too much movement several feet away from the trunk, sticking out like a sore thumb. In a gametamer type, you simply and quietly swivel a chair, close to the trunk with less silouett.

So for a permanent stand, a hang on makes more sense to me, but I can see where it makes sense for portability.

I rarely get picked in a saddle, and I think it is because the angle your body comes off the tree looks eerily similar to a tree limb. I have had other hunters jump out of their skin because they saw my climbing sticks and didnít see me until I waved.

Another benefit is that I keep the trunk between me and the deer until it is time for the shot. Makes it extra hard to spot me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 12:11 AM   #92
kparker158
Ten Point
 
kparker158's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Porter Tx
Hunt In: Public and Private Lands of East Texas
Default

I just bought the Cruzr Xc. Excited to get in the woods with it.
kparker158 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 04:29 AM   #93
Shaun
Ten Point
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mountain springs, Tx
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Just bought a used saddle a couple days ago. My linesman and tether are on order now. Iím following for more information.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #94
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt
 
Arrowsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bloomfield, Iowa
Hunt In: Iowa
Default

Here is my gear list and a couple of pictures of my saddle hunting gear.

Tethrd Phantom saddle
Tethrd Predator platform
Tethrd tree tether with Ropeman 1
DYI linesman climbing belt. 11mm static climbing rope with Trango carabiniers and Ropeman 1
Three 30" Hawk Helium climbing sticks
Backwoods Mobile Gear Versa Aider

I have a Tethrd Sys hauler on the left side of the saddle. I carry my tether and Versa Aider there. I have US Army Molle sustainment pouch on the right side of the saddle. I carry my linesman's belt, a second linesman's belt, and bow hanging accessories there.

My pack has all the normal whitetail hunting gear. Two knives, diamond sharpener, calls, leatherman, gloves, extra release, milkweed wind checker (harvested from my yard), flashlight, 3 headlamps, bow tow lines, bow and pack hangers, etc.

My pack and sticks are 26lbs. I normally wear the saddle walking in and out. I am not concerned about weight. I normally have about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile walk to the stand on my farm and the other farms that I hunt. If I am on public I might be hunting right near the parking area or a mile or so in. If I can't carry 30+ pounds for a couple of miles I need to quit

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 08:34 AM   #95
bakin7005
Ten Point
 
bakin7005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North Richland Hills
Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)
Default

Mighty comfy this morning. Even with the wind. 2nd season in the saddle. No reason to ever use anything else. Been hunting out of trees since I was 8. We've come a long way from. 2x4 steps and couple 2x6 in the fork of a tree.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 09:25 AM   #96
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
I figure that if Warren Womack (73) and John Eberhart (mid 60ís) can hunt 50+ days in a saddle a season, I should have NO PROBLEM making it through an all day sit or two!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im 59, love hunting from an elevated position. Always been intrigued with the treesaddle. Back in the day, it was called a Tree Web or some such.

May need to look into this. Takes about 10-15lbs off of what a climber hunt would max out. Research continues
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 05:40 PM   #97
bigt6450
Six Point
 
bigt6450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Pflugerville
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post

2.) The saddle will make you feel a lot safer. Iím 315 pounds, and terrified of heights. Facing the tree, and being under constant tension with either a tether or linemanís belt getting up the tree make me feel a lot safer. With a saddle, youíre using a fall restraint device. A traditional harness is a fall arrest device. Thereís a huge difference in the two. Like in medicine, prevention is better and more feasible than a cure.
Curious what youíre using on your tether? I know a lot use the Ropeman there, but have also seen it not recommended on saddle hunter since itís not a descender. I definitely see the appeal of it compared to a prussik
bigt6450 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #98
scissorhands
Ten Point
 
scissorhands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bayou Vista, Tx
Hunt In: Runnels co. Colorado Co.
Default

Thinking about giving a saddle a try. I hunt private land and most set-up are lean to stands. Do you guys use the with a lean to? The lean to stands make it hard to get a good shot unless you like shooting between your legs.
scissorhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 11:35 AM   #99
kparker158
Ten Point
 
kparker158's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Porter Tx
Hunt In: Public and Private Lands of East Texas
Default

Im looking for a Versa Aider and a platform, to be fully rigged out. I have paypal ready if anybody has extra. Thanks
kparker158 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2020, 10:24 AM   #100
IkemanTX
Ten Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt6450 View Post
Curious what youíre using on your tether? I know a lot use the Ropeman there, but have also seen it not recommended on saddle hunter since itís not a descender. I definitely see the appeal of it compared to a prussik

The ropeman1 concerns are guys reading rock climbing info... the potential failures on a ropeman1 are not possible in the context of saddle hunting.

Ropeman1ís arenít approved ascender devices for rock climbing because at very high loads (think multi-feet falls) the ropeman1 can shear the rope sheath causing rope failure.

For that failure to happen in saddle hunting, the fall would have to be further than my tether is long to build the kinetic energy required.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com