Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-16-2020, 11:14 PM   #1
Deafishunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Abbott
Default Tree saddle hunting?

Been looking into this Hunting with a Tree Saddle. Would like to see what green screen has to say about it.
From what I can see itís lighter, easier to carry, easier to move.

Just want to see from those who have experience with it, and what yíallís options are on this style of hunting.

The pros, and cons.
Deafishunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 11:23 PM   #2
whakm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, we'll see how this goes

Im in on this one as well. Bought the new phantom saddle and cant wait to get in the woods with it. From everything i see i can tell that it has the POTENTIAL to be a very good thing. Time will tell.
whakm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 11:34 PM   #3
NelsonV
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Hunt, Fannin, and Collin County

I love it. Super light and very mobile. I never have to hunt the same tree twice. I have a H2 saddle, Hawk Helium 20Ē sticks, and a Ridge Runner platform. My only issue is my dumb a** didnít start hunting this way years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NelsonV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 11:35 PM   #4
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Setup in my new backyard. 16ft to platform.
Targets at 20, 30, and just added 40 and 50 tonight.

My son is 12. We are both new starting this year.
Attached Images

Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 11:46 PM   #5
jetboysixx
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere...

Last year was my first season in one and I love it. I hunt west Texas where trees are not easy to hang a traditional tree stand in, so this setup is much more adaptable to the crazy oaks we have. I also like the mobility. Last year was record acorn crop and deer stopped coming to the feeders for the most part, so I went after them. I had a Tethrd mantis and upgraded to the phantom. Also have the predator platform. I bought a used set of 12 wild edge steps which are enough to also pre set a couple trees with steps, and I have a set of light weight climbing sticks also.

jetboysixx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Iowa

There is definitely a learning curve, but overall I really like saddle hunting. Practicing here in Iowa yesterday. Tethrd Phantom, Tethrd tree tether, Predator platform, homemade linesman's belt with rated carabiniers and a Ropeman 1 ascender.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #7
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

my question is how comfortable is it? How long can you stay in stand with this set up? If you wanted to sit all day, could you comfortably?
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #8
Deafishunter
Six Point

Very nice, definitely looking into getting one.

2 questions to ask.
I know tree stands we would use a safety line to break our falls in case we were to fall. What’s the safety line on the saddles?
And what Are the chances of you falling While high in the tree on the saddle for whatever cause it could be?
Old 09-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
centex_aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milam County, Williamson County, Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deafishunter View Post

2 questions to ask.
I know tree stands we would use a safety line to break our falls in case we were to fall. Whatís the safety line on the saddles?
And what Are the chances of you falling While high in the tree on the saddle for whatever cause it could be?
The tether IS the safety line. There is no need for anything else if you have proper gear. You should use a lineman's rope when getting in the tree and if you are extra cautious you can use the lineman's rope as a backup but it is kind of redundant.
centex_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #10
Deafishunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by centex_aggie View Post
The tether IS the safety line. There is no need for anything else if you have proper gear. You should use a lineman's rope when getting in the tree and if you are extra cautious you can use the lineman's rope as a backup but it is kind of redundant.
Okay thatís a clear explanation. Thanks
Old 09-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #11
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Quote:

2 questions to ask.
I know tree stands we would use a safety line to break our falls in case we were to fall. Whatís the safety line on the saddles?
Also, as long as you're tether is connected you really cannot fall. I have seen some videos where guys have tried every way possible to fall (the one in the link below). You can basically flip completely upside down and not fall.

This video is pretty dang funny but it will answer your questions on tree saddle safety. Please watch you will enjoy.

https://youtu.be/f3SLXqt9aS4

Old 09-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #12
ThisLadyHunts
Six Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladner View Post
my question is how comfortable is it? How long can you stay in stand with this set up? If you wanted to sit all day, could you comfortably?
Same question here.
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #13
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

There's a thing called getting into saddle shape. You have to practice and build muscles. Starting out we are rotating 2 hour sits while practicing shooting. 6-8 hours should be no problem. Next week I'm going to make a back support band. That will help as well.

Most new saddles have adjustable bridges which allow for bigger/smaller hip sizes and well as angle adjustments. Thats for sitters vs leaders. We love it and will be tag teaming come Oct.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #14
BW96
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

I love mine I didnt touch my 2 climbers once last year and only hunted out of a ladder stand twice. But I will say, its definitely harder for me to shoot out of. I have trouble staying steady past 40. But I'm not shooting that far at a deer anyways so its really a mute point.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #15
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
Same question here.
Most saddles are very comfortable. Especially with the newer saddles. There are many new companies out there and they are all competing to be the most comfortable user friendly saddle available. Take a look at the Tethrd Phantom, the Cruzr XC, Aero Hunter Kestral Flex, H2, Latitude, JX3 to name a few of the most popular saddles.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #16
bowkill1978
Four Point

Hunt In: MS and LA
Default JX3 Hybrid

I just got my JX3 Hybrid a couple days ago. I went with the JX3 because it's a saddle/seat in one. I haven't gotten up a tree with it yet but they're supposed to be extremely comfortable. Look it up on YouTube and there are a few demonstrations. I'll update when I practice a few times with it and let you know what it's like.
bowkill1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #17
brandonsbird02
Six Point

Hunt In: Henderson county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
Setup in my new backyard. 16ft to platform.

Targets at 20, 30, and just added 40 and 50 tonight.

My son is 12. We are both new starting this year.
Just FYI make sure ur carabiners are always facing up.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
brandonsbird02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 07:11 PM   #18
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Practicing from the saddle again this evening. I inavertantly placed my target in a tricky location and I was too lazy to get down and move it. A limb was basically directly in my way for a clear shot. The cool thing about a saddle is that you can manuver around the tree to get a shot. It takes some saddle time to get comfortable and to learn how to get into different shot positions. My target was at 25 yards.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:08 PM   #19
asu-indian
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas

Doesn't look comfortable for an all day or extended hunt. Anyone have experience? Need it from someone preferably an older dude like me.
asu-indian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 08:16 PM   #20
helical
Six Point

Hunt In: north texas

Do they work well in twisted oaks? Do you have to have a certain length of relatively straight tree? Thx.
helical is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 08:23 PM   #21
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

I just donít see how it can be more comfortable than my climber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 08:32 PM   #22
TradHunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
I just donít see how it can be more comfortable than my climber.

I never sat in a climber before, but I have lower back problems and sitting in a tree stand always gave me sciatic problems. Switched to a saddle and have not had a single flare up. I also donít hunt in trees that I could use a climber. I think itís all about preference. Longest I sat before is 6 hrs, not a single issue.
TradHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 08:40 PM   #23
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu-indian View Post
Doesn't look comfortable for an all day or extended hunt. Anyone have experience? Need it from someone preferably an older dude like me.
I am 66. I usually do about 4 hour sits whether I am in a lock on or a saddle. You can easily do an all day sit in a saddle. You can stand, lean, sit with your knees against the tree, sit with your legs beside the tree. I was in the tree 3 hours this evening.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:54 PM   #24
Milkfisher
Six Point

certified fat guy here....checking in. Im 6'3" and 285. I went with the cruzr XC as it seemed to be the best option for the portly folk. Ive spent a little time in the saddle just off the ground and it seems extremely versatile. I will be getting it up in the tree this weekend and doing some shooting out of it. I dont think ill have any trouble spending a couple hours in it at this point but it will take some getting used to in order for me to do the longer sits like I want to be able to do.
Milkfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 09:00 PM   #25
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TradHunter View Post
I never sat in a climber before, but I have lower back problems and sitting in a tree stand always gave me sciatic problems. Switched to a saddle and have not had a single flare up. I also donít hunt in trees that I could use a climber. I think itís all about preference. Longest I sat before is 6 hrs, not a single issue.

I would use it over a lock on any day. I have too many pines and yíall oaks to mess with all those moving parts.

FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 10:00 PM   #26
Bad2TheBone
Four Point

Hunt In: Woods

I have been hunting out of a saddle for going on 4 years. It has been a game changer for me. I hunt majority public land. its not cheap getting started in the saddle game but worth it if your hunting public land. I feel safer in a saddle than I ever have in any hang on or climber. When it comes to comfort its never going to be as comfortable as a comfy summit climber but it sure is a hell of alot lighter to carry/wear in to hunt plus your tree doesn't have to be straight.
Bad2TheBone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 10:34 PM   #27
rebelbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: tx,ks,ok

i have a cruzer xc on order
hopefully it will come in time for deer season!
rebelbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 06:18 AM   #28
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

I was planning on going to that demo up around Denton back before the craziness started and everything got shut down

Interested but need some hands on before I jump in
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #29
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

So how do you get up in the the tree? From what I see, it looks like you have to get a rope up in the tree above you. Then pull yourself up? Or are you using, something like lineman's climbers, that strap on your boots? The pictures and the video. I don't see anyone wearing those, so I would assume they are pulling themselves up with a rope. You are going to have to get that rope tied off up in the tree to pull yourself up.

It looks like something that would work great for me, more so, if I could just walk up to a tree, say this looks like a good tree and be up in that tree and ready to hunt, inside of 10 minutes. I guess you could use different ways to get up in different trees, but just curious what is the normal procedure?
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #30
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)

Quote:
I'm 57 and could sit all day in mine. I got rid of all my hang on stands. You won't believe the comfort and versatilty.
Key is you can put the tree between you and the deer until you want to ease out and make the shot. It truly is a game changer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #31
bakin7005
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
So how do you get up in the the tree? From what I see, it looks like you have to get a rope up in the tree above you. Then pull yourself up? Or are you using, something like lineman's climbers, that strap on your boots? The pictures and the video. I don't see anyone wearing those, so I would assume they are pulling themselves up with a rope. You are going to have to get that rope tied off up in the tree to pull yourself up.

It looks like something that would work great for me, more so, if I could just walk up to a tree, say this looks like a good tree and be up in that tree and ready to hunt, inside of 10 minutes. I guess you could use different ways to get up in different trees, but just curious what is the normal procedure?
I use screw in steps. Lots of people use portable hang on ladders. Some use lineman spurs..... basically the same way you get up to a hang on stand.
I use two lineman ropes to get the tree set up then tie a lifeline at the top and use a prusik knot to climb the tree after the steps are in. It's basically all the same as setting up a hang on but your sitting/leaning in a saddle. 10x more comfortable and versatile.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2020, 09:32 AM   #32
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post

Climbing sticks, Rapid Rails, Wild Edge steps, screw in steps, pre set ladder sections, spurs, some guys use single rope and double rope climbing technique and rappel down.

I am using some aluminum Rapid Rails at this time because I have several sets. They are lightweight and easy to set. I have a set of lightweight climbing sticks ordered. If you are using conventional climbing methods (sticks, ladder sections, etc) you always need to use a lineman's climbing belt until you get your tether attached to the tree, attached to your bridge on your saddle and on your platform. I can be up in most trees in 10 minutes or less.

Some guys are "one sticking". One sticking is not for everyone but a lot of saddle guys are using this method.

Here is a video on using one stick to get to your desired platform height.

https://youtu.be/3x_U2JoSHUM

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 09-18-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:47 AM   #33
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Good info thanks. I want something small I could put everything in a back pack and take everything in on one trip. That saddle deal could work. I just need to pick the right, compact climbing method. Whatever I use, gas to fit in my backpack.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #34
DHOutdoorsman
Four Point

Hunt In: all Public Lands, and soon to be Granger for Hogs

I also just picked up the TETHRD system and Hawk Helium 20' sticks this summer and this will be my first time hunting out of this. From everything I read above and seen on utube with The Hunting Public crew and Tethrd crew themselves Saddle seems the way to go. I also hunt only Public lands and find it cumbersome to carry in my Summit. Headed to Wisconsin in a week to do some Grouse, Trout and I picked up some deer tags also while i'm there. ( pretty dam cheap for first time hunters) Gonna give it a try and hopefully I'm successful.
But I dont think your gonna be disappointing going the Saddle way.
DHOutdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #35
Texar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

I am 48 and am switching to saddle hunting this year. I hunt public 95% of the time and just the weight savings(12lbs at least) of what I carry in is worth giving it a good hard try. Yes I still have my other methods(climber/lock-on) but don't plan on using any of it.

My practice so far has been fun and also eye opening on how wide open the tree choices will be.

I have a mixed menagerie of gear..... CRUZR XC, Tethrd Predator & tether, Muddy linemans rope, Hawk sticks w/amsteel rope mods & aiders.
Texar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 02:54 PM   #36
Barn
Ten Point

Gotta get one!
Barn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #37
Deafishunter
Six Point

What’s a good platform that’s not over $100+.?

I got the saddle kit, just missing a platform.
I was curious what y’all use as a platform.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:12 PM   #38
Bad2TheBone
Four Point

Hunt In: Woods

Quote:
Whatís a good platform thatís not over $100+.?

I was curious what yíall use as a platform.
I use the predator platform.
The first two years I saddle hunted I just used screw in steps as my platform. Not the most comfortable thing in the world but it works in a pinch.
Bad2TheBone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #39
bakin7005
Ten Point

Quote:
Whatís a good platform thatís not over $100+.?

I was curious what yíall use as a platform.
There's not one. I took a seat from a LW stand and made one. Works really well. I also have a OOAL Ridge Runner. Got it on sale for $125 I think. He runs flash sales from time to time.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #40
Deafishunter
Six Point

Okay thanks.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:05 PM   #41
kparker158
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public and Private Lands of East Texas

i am interested in yalls preferred climbing method also.
kparker158 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #42
bakin7005
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparker158 View Post
i am interested in yalls preferred climbing method also.
Screw in steps for me but I'm on private land.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #43
jimmyneutrontx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
Also, as long as you're tether is connected you really cannot fall. I have seen some videos where guys have tried every way possible to fall (the one in the link below). You can basically flip completely upside down and not fall.

This video is pretty dang funny but it will answer your questions on tree saddle safety. Please watch you will enjoy.

https://youtu.be/f3SLXqt9aS4

This is the best video I have seen in a while. lol
jimmyneutrontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #44
jimmyneutrontx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
Screw in steps for me but I'm on private land.
Just bought a set of Wild Edge steps for this season. Easy to use and lightweight.

https://www.wildedgeinc.com/steppladder.html#/
jimmyneutrontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #45
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Caddo

Iíve been hunting out of saddles for 7 years, and the two guys I hunt with have been in them for 10+ each.

I wonít use anything else. I have a lone wolf assault that has been hanging in the close collecting dust for 6 years. I started with a few different DIY saddles and ended up upgrading to tethrd when they started up. I am running the Tethrd Phantom, Predator platform, and modified hawk helium sticks this season. I plan on picking up a set of 4 Tethrd One climbing sticks after season is over.

IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2020, 05:46 PM   #46
Deafishunter
Six Point

How about something that doesn’t require screws due to public land?
Old 09-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #47
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
Iíve been hunting out of saddles for 7 years, and the two guys I hunt with have been in them for 10+ each.

I wonít use anything else. I have a lone wolf assault that has been hanging in the close collecting dust for 6 years. I started with a few different DIY saddles and ended up upgrading to tethrd when they started up. I am running the Tethrd Phantom, Predator platform, and modified hawk helium sticks this season. I plan on picking up a set of 4 Tethrd One climbing sticks after season is over.

Me too. Need to start saving $$$ today.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:41 PM   #48
perow
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post

Hey man I was REALLY looking forward to the class your were putting together and this stupid COVID crap killed that, any chance you will try again after season?

I really want to move into a saddle but have questions and since no trade shows this year it has made it harder for my decision on what gear to go with
perow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2020, 10:00 PM   #49
bakin7005
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by perow View Post
Hey man I was REALLY looking forward to the class your were putting together and this stupid COVID crap killed that, any chance you will try again after season?

I really want to move into a saddle but have questions and since no trade shows this year it has made it harder for my decision on what gear to go with

If you havenít already, check out saddlehunter.com lots of great info there with good classified section but the stuff goes quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2020, 05:46 AM   #50
mudbone
Eight Point

Quote:
Arrowsmith would know for sure, he is no spring chicken himself. Sorry Mike!!!
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top