Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-25-2020, 11:37 PM   #201
hoytassassin
Eight Point

Hunt In: everywhere

Killed 10 on Thursday with the Fiancť... going out one last time on Sunday. Not ready for it to be over but ready for big duck season and no more skeeters. Good luck all this weekend
Attached Images

hoytassassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #202
Jmsck12
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

Name:  IMG_4028.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  107.7 KB
3 man shoot this morning, shot 15 in the first two minutes of shooting light then got the last three right before 8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmsck12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #203
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Pretty good day today. We went out Tuesday and only killed 3 because we set up in the wrong area. Set up today with my dad and we had a great time together. Ended up just shy of a two man limit, but Got my first banded bird!

She flew down from South Dakota
Attached Images

BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #204
Jmsck12
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
Pretty good day today. We went out Tuesday and only killed 3 because we set up in the wrong area. Set up today with my dad and we had a great time together. Ended up just shy of a two man limit, but Got my first banded bird!

Iíve been eagerly checking all of my birds, but havenít gotten one with that jewelry on it!!

Old 09-26-2020, 03:33 PM   #205
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Got an invite fron droebuck on hereto hunt his place. We had a good shoot. Believe we had 14 total before it died down. Great times for sure! Me & John sure appreciated the invite!!!

DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2020, 03:33 PM   #206
DKirk
Ten Point

Quote:

Heck yea! Still looking for my first.
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #207
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Congrats on the band BigRed!!
Old 09-26-2020, 05:26 PM   #208
droebuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard

Quote:

Nice hunt and congrats on your first band!
droebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2020, 10:07 AM   #209
CTR0022
Ten Point

Congrats on the band
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2020, 02:10 PM   #210
Jmsck12
Associate Sponsor

Name:  IMG_4053.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  113.1 KB
Last morning fun!! Birds came in late today but when they did they were feet down in the decoys. 3 man limit again

Old 09-27-2020, 04:10 PM   #211
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Sure hate to see the season end. It ended on a GREAT note though. Me, my son & killing partner TWDJR got limits to cap a really good season off this morning in Garwood. A lot less birds from last 2 days.
Now time drags till regular season.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #212
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: everywhere and anywhere you invite me to :)

Question for you seasoned guys.
I'm building my spread right now and am wanting to get common birds. So far I have a dozen teal, 6 gadwal, and 6 coots (they are the only type I've ever seen). What others should I get? Never seen a mallard nor wood duck. Thinking pintail and ???
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
gatorgar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2020, 06:37 PM   #213
Jmsck12
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgar View Post
I'm building my spread right now and am wanting to get common birds. So far I have a dozen teal, 6 gadwal, and 6 coots (they are the only type I've ever seen). What others should I get? Never seen a mallard nor wood duck. Thinking pintail and ???
Thanks

Iíve hunted three seasons but always hunted with other people. This year was my first year setting off on my own and I built my own spread. I hunt ponds for teal season and the coast for big ducks. My spread consists of 1 dozen teal, half dozen over size pintails, 1 dozen blue bills and a half dozen mallards for when I go north. I use the teal decoys on the ponds in September and Iíll use the rest on the bay. Iíll be adding a dozen redheads soon before big duck season starts.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #214
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Get whatever you see in your area the most. Pintails or drake spoonies give you alot of white in the spread. I believe it helps get the ducks attention .
Old 09-27-2020, 08:50 PM   #215
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Great last evening sir of teal season. Done in 25 minutes.

Canít wait to be able to get in some more work with my pup.
Attached Images

BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2020, 09:54 PM   #216
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central TX, Elk in NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
Sure hate to see the season end. It ended on a GREAT note though. Me, my son & killing partner TWDJR got limits to cap a really good season off this morning in Garwood. A lot less birds from last 2 days.
Now time drags till regular season.

What a crew!!!!! Congrats on the great hunt!!!!
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2020, 10:13 PM   #217
Buck hunter332
Four Point

Hunt In: Tilden

Welp shot a 2 man this morning and smoked a gator tail reverse clutch gotta love it!
Buck hunter332 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #218
droebuck
Ten Point

Any of you guys know of a good outfitter in North Texas for a Greenhead hunt? Personal experience would be appreciated. I've got a buddy wanting to book a hunt for him and his son in late December, I may join them as well.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #219
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria & Re„l county

Quote:
Thanks

We typically hunt the coast so we throw more decoys than guys hunting smaller ponds. I usually set out 8 - 12 dozen. We use a lot of redhead decoys on the coast as the base of the spread and then supplement in pintail, gadwall, wigeon, and some teal up close to the grass. When we hunt the edges of larger bay we will throw bufflehead out on the edge of the spread as well and usually use the magnum decoys there for better visibility. The white on the magnum bufflehead seems to grab their attention. We don't use any mojo type decoys but have used "confidence" decoys in the past like storks and shorebirds. I don't know if it helps or not but the mojos seem to be bad juju on the coast.
Wall_Hanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2020, 11:47 AM   #220
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Curious if anyone on here hunts with Thunderbird? I am looking at joining their club and would appreciate any info. Feel free to PM as well.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #221
CTR0022
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by droebuck View Post
Any of you guys know of a good outfitter in North Texas for a Greenhead hunt? Personal experience would be appreciated. I've got a buddy wanting to book a hunt for him and his son in late December, I may join them as well.
I've hunted with both red leg outfitters and hanson outdoors. I'd give both a call and discuss their hunts and see which one you like the most. I have been happy hunting with both
Old 10-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #222
CTR0022
Ten Point

As we wait for November does anyone want to discuss hunting the coast, particularly targeting mottled ducks? Being a north texas guy I have never had the chance at mottled ducks but would really like to get some for the wall. I like diy hunts on public land, don't have a boat, but have a kayak and don't mind walking. I've looked at the type 2 public lands. Does anyone have any suggestions? Send me a pm if you don't want to post on the open forum. Tia
Old 10-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #223
droebuck
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR0022 View Post
I've hunted with both red leg outfitters and hanson outdoors. I'd give both a call and discuss their hunts and see which one you like the most. I have been happy hunting with both
Thanks for the info, I will pass it along to my buddy.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #224
Tex21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina, Val Verde Counties

Quote:
As we wait for November does anyone want to discuss hunting the coast, particularly targeting mottled ducks? Being a north texas guy I have never had the chance at mottled ducks but would really like to get some for the wall. I like diy hunts on public land, don't have a boat, but have a kayak and don't mind walking. I've looked at the type 2 public lands. Does anyone have any suggestions? Send me a pm if you don't want to post on the open forum. Tia
Ive only hunted the coast once but you may look into going with a guide for one day and then on your own the following days. A lot of the "guides" will take you out and drop you off to hunt by yourself so it may help get the lay of the land.
Tex21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2020, 09:07 AM   #225
Jmsck12
Associate Sponsor

Quote:

I have yet to see a mottled duck on the bay, I shoot all my mottled ducks on freshwater ponds. Iíd like to get one on the bay though

Old 10-02-2020, 09:08 AM   #226
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
We hunt some marsh areas near Anuahac and mottle ducks are tricky. Seems like 7-8/10 donít care to decoy but will sit there and survey the spread for 10 mins just to leave.
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2020, 09:09 AM   #227
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Quote:
Mottle ducks prefer their own company most of the time. Like the mated pair & maybe another pair or so. Not big groups. Also tend to like small potholes or secretive spots. What works for general duck hunting won't work for mottle ducks 90% or more most of the time. I grew up hunting them & the areas most concentrated with them. Best luck decoying is get in an area they are in & put out a couple of black duck decoys. They will normally come right in.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:13 AM   #228
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
Curious if anyone on here hunts with Thunderbird? I am looking at joining their club and would appreciate any info. Feel free to PM as well.
They have a good club. I interviewed & hunted on an invite with them. Good club,but their rules & how they ran it etc just wasn't for me.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:50 AM   #229
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Pic of a molted if a molted duck?
If they are the ones I'm thinking, I have seen them in small tanks in Starr County.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:06 PM   #230
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
We hunt some marsh areas near Anuahac and mottle ducks are tricky. Seems like 7-8/10 donít care to decoy but will sit there and survey the spread for 10 mins just to leave.

Thatís the dang truth. We had them flying in small groups during teal and they would land out beyond the decoys with the Grebes and shorebirds and just took around for a while then split.

We had pintail come in like redheads too which blew my mind a little. They saw the spread and locked in, cake in feet down straight to the water....not a single circle to check us out. It will never happen in big duck haha.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:49 PM   #231
Flex
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Bushes

Quote:
Thatís the dang truth. We had them flying in small groups during teal and they would land out beyond the decoys with the Grebes and shorebirds and just took around for a while then split.

We had pintail come in like redheads too which blew my mind a little. They saw the spread and locked in, cake in feet down straight to the water....not a single circle to check us out. It will never happen in big duck haha.
We don't get a lot of pin tails in our area. But when we do they are usually stupid like this. Canvas back the same. Straight into the decoys.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2020, 08:13 AM   #232
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne
Default 20-21 Official Duck Thread

Quote:
Pic of a molted if a molted duck?

If they are the ones I'm thinking, I have seen them in small tanks in Starr County.

We took our fair share last year but this one ended up on one of the guys wall.

150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2020, 08:58 AM   #233
droebuck
Ten Point

Quote:

That's a good one for the wall. I've killed two banded ones over the years and didn't get them mounted. I've decided the next one I shoot is going on the wall. With their numbers the way they are it may not be an option forever.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #234
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
We don't get a lot of pin tails in our area. But when we do they are usually stupid like this. Canvas back the same. Straight into the decoys.

On the coast in our area if a pintail comes in they are going to circle you from above about 50 times and slowly corkscrew down and they always seem to know what is just out of shooting range for their approach. Then if you get them to work in you get them on their last circle over the decoys. I don't know if I have ever had a group actually come in feet down and work right into the spread or land. A single yes, but never a group of them. Only ever seen one canvas back on the coast and that was some private marsh land we hunted last year.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #235
Jmsck12
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
On the coast in our area if a pintail comes in they are going to circle you from above about 50 times and slowly corkscrew down and they always seem to know what is just out of shooting range for their approach. Then if you get them to work in you get them on their last circle over the decoys. I don't know if I have ever had a group actually come in feet down and work right into the spread or land. A single yes, but never a group of them. Only ever seen one canvas back on the coast and that was some private marsh land we hunted last year.

Iíve had the opposite in my experience, so long as Iím hidden all my pintails come right in and get shot front and center on the coast. But In freshwater ponds they wonít come within 60 yards. Been trying to get a freshwater pintail for the wall but looks like a coastal bull will be going to the taxi this year

Old 10-07-2020, 09:35 AM   #236
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Quote:

My first duck on my first real duck hunt. Might need to find a Taxi if they are that hard to get. But they are the ones I see back home. Heck, had them in my spread in my last hunt.

Last edited by gatorgar; 10-07-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:39 AM   #237
HogStalker
Four Point

Hunt In: Granger, Somerville, Bandera County

Quote:
My first duck on my first teal duck hunt. Might need to find a Taxi if they are that hard to get. But they are the ones I see back home. Heck, had them in my spread in my last hunt.

Are you publicly posting you shot a black duck during teal season?
HogStalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2020, 09:48 AM   #238
CTR0022
Ten Point

smh...
Old 10-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #239
Flex
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsck12 View Post
Iíve had the opposite in my experience, so long as Iím hidden all my pintails come right in and get shot front and center on the coast. But In freshwater ponds they wonít come within 60 yards. Been trying to get a freshwater pintail for the wall but looks like a coastal bull will be going to the taxi this year

I've shot quite a few over the years. Texas coast sounds much different than SWLA marsh. Maybe I'll get a hunt in this year down there.

Any of y'all ever duck hunted aquilla? Don't want spots. Just if it's worth a try or no.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:04 AM   #240
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogStalker View Post
Are you publicly posting you shot a black duck during teal season?
Last season lol
My first "real" duck hunt was last season and it made me learn as much as I could for this year. And I'm loving it. That duck has made me spend a lot of money so far lol

I just went back and saw what I wrote. Real not teal lol
Good catch

Last edited by gatorgar; 10-07-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #241
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsck12 View Post
I’ve had the opposite in my experience, so long as I’m hidden all my pintails come right in and get shot front and center on the coast. But In freshwater ponds they won’t come within 60 yards. Been trying to get a freshwater pintail for the wall but looks like a coastal bull will be going to the taxi this year

Oh man, not us. We shoot a good variety but pintail always seems vary on the mid coast. I have heard that further south the numbers are better a bit further south and pintail work a little better.

Now on the prairie and inland coastal marsh I have seen them come straight in to die and its a ton of fun.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:07 AM   #242
Flex
Ten Point

Think it got missed. Anybody ever hunted aquilla? I've never been there and it's about a 40 minute drive. But submitting my stuff so I can hunt this year.

I have a boat also. Just not sure if it's worth hunting.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:47 AM   #243
CTR0022
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
Think it got missed. Anybody ever hunted aquilla? I've never been there and it's about a 40 minute drive. But submitting my stuff so I can hunt this year.

I have a boat also. Just not sure if it's worth hunting.

I've never hunted it, buts its probably like all public land duck hunting. Sometimes there are birds sometimes there aren't. You got to go out and scout and find the birds.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:50 AM   #244
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: The moderators favorite stand

Not looking for spots but can anyone tell me where to get on a good concentration of spoonies?love chasing bootlips- I hear Dallas area is full of em?
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2020, 09:03 AM   #245
Flex
Ten Point

Quote:
I've never hunted it, buts its probably like all public land duck hunting. Sometimes there are birds sometimes there aren't. You got to go out and scout and find the birds.
I figured that much. I was just curious as to whether it's crazy packed. Lots of walk in hunters.

And the terrain. If its like Granger where you really don't want to run a boat in the dark due to trees and stuff.

General input.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:04 AM   #246
Flex
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastxhunter View Post
Not looking for spots but can anyone tell me where to get on a good concentration of spoonies?love chasing bootlips- I hear Dallas area is full of em?
I wax them around waco. Got a beautiful one at the taxi right now.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #247
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Anyone got a lead on a good goose/crane guy in the El Campo Area? Sounds like it'll be a fun hunt

Old 10-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #248
droebuck
Ten Point

Quote:
Anyone got a lead on a good goose/crane guy in the El Campo Area? Sounds like it'll be a fun hunt

Will Granberry Avian Skies.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:17 PM   #249
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Would this be a legal decoy?

If anything, drag some treble hooks behind it and use it to retrieve ducks lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GG65F69..._K9PGFbQK9EK6G

Old 10-12-2020, 07:49 PM   #250
CTR0022
Ten Point

Any of yall guys have any cool trips planned this year?

I really want to go to the northeast to do some seaduck and brant hunting. Anyone here ever do it? Any recommendations on outfitters/guides. It probably won't happen this year but I am hoping for 21/22 season.

This year I plan on going on a crane hunt.