Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-09-2020, 07:02 PM   #151
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita
Default Rain

Looking like Mexico got some heavy rain
Attached Images

pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #152
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, Neb, Illinois, MEXICO

Mountains shredded the front from us glad yíall got some down south

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #153
elgato
Ten Point

I got 1/2" last night. As luck would have it a very small cell about the size of our ranch landed on us. Appreciative.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 10:15 PM   #154
Learjet
Four Point

Hunt In: Mexico, outside of villa union, Mertzon, tx

Saw some white on radar, that had to be some serious stuff coming down
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 05:11 PM   #155
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

2/10 yesterday.... listening to rain on the tin roof as I type this now. Not a lot but maybe another 2/10. Mexico has her Sunday britches on for sure... beautiful down here... over 4 inches this month.
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2020, 10:05 PM   #156
MontanaTex
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: W.Texas, S. Texas, Mexico, Colorado

We are headed down Thursday to the ranch. We cross in Columbia. Any issues getting across border on either side?
MontanaTex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2020, 10:17 PM   #157
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTex View Post
We are headed down Thursday to the ranch. We cross in Columbia. Any issues getting across border on either side?
I'm hoping to go down thru PN this weekend. Post you results please
Old 04-16-2020, 08:48 PM   #158
MUltraDeSabinas
Four Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Can Americans cross?
MUltraDeSabinas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2020, 08:49 PM   #159
dstrong
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUltraDeSabinas View Post
Can Americans cross?

Yes. No issues. I just got back and others have crossed today without any issues
dstrong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2020, 09:44 PM   #160
Jbguide
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUltraDeSabinas View Post
Can Americans cross?

I was told you need a mask and gloves. Dean did you need that stuff?

Jbguide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2020, 09:45 PM   #161
dstrong
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbguide View Post
I was told you need a mask and gloves. Dean did you need that stuff?

I didnít but Iíd have a mask just to cover the bases.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:46 PM   #162
Jbguide
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrong View Post
I didnít but Iíd have a mask just to cover the bases.

Good advice Dean!

Old 04-19-2020, 11:28 PM   #163
VetteRprMan
Nubbin' Buck

We just got back today. No real problems crossing at Eagle Pass. They do stop you and check your temperature before you enter Mexico. Almost everyone in Mexico has on a mask. Also it is a city ordinance that everyone in Eagle Pass wear a mask of face cover at all times while outside. One of our hunters was reminded by a policeman. Our ranch is looking really good. Lots of green browse. It’s still dry though in my opinion. We could really use more rain.
VetteRprMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2020, 11:36 PM   #164
Learjet
Four Point

Came back today.
City ordnance in eagle pass is to be wearing a mask, cop honked at buddy when he got out of truck at strips.
conversion rate is around 23:1, I’d make sure you don’t get screwed at feed store, I think we did this time.
Most of our ranch was real green, south side not.
We killed 2 rattle bugs.
One protein feeder fell over and another a deer knocked the motor we had mounted off, everything ate good there.
2 other timed protein feeders were clogged up. Protein was hot as **** 100-120 degrees and humid when we put it out last month, I bet sweated like crazy In that beer can. Santa Maria lovin I guess. Time before last my gravity 2000# was clogged, seemed like the pellets were turning to powder and didn’t have the shinny glaze it normally had. All this stuff was medicated, may have cause the problem not sure.

We got 3 stands moved

Sounds like cowboy that stole a gun earlier in season actually shot at least 5 deer, really ****** about that. He shot a 13 point 155-158” 4 year old off my feeder. 11 pointer that a hunter shot and lost he took to his House. A very heavy 8, which is probably from another of my stands 150”+. The other 2 are a 6 and smaller 10. I haven’t seen the 6, 8, or 10 yet. Kinda took the wind out of sail, pretty committed at this point this season. No telling how much damage was done though.

I’m glad owner came clean, I know that wasn’t easy
Old 04-20-2020, 08:22 AM   #165
BillyloMexico
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
Came back today.
City ordnance in eagle pass is to be wearing a mask, cop honked at buddy when he got out of truck at strips.
conversion rate is around 23:1, Iíd make sure you donít get screwed at feed store, I think we did this time.
We killed 2 rattle bugs.
One protein feeder fell over and another a deer knocked the motor we had mounted off, everything ate good there.
2 other timed protein feeders were clogged up. Protein was hot as **** 100-120 degrees and humid when we put it out last month, I bet sweated like crazy In that beer can. Santa Maria lovin I guess. Time before last my gravity 2000# was clogged, seemed like the pellets were turning to powder and didnít have the shinny glaze it normally had. All this stuff was medicated, may have cause the problem not sure.

We got 3 stands moved

Sounds like cowboy that stole a gun earlier in season actually shot at least 5 deer, really ****** about that. He shot a 13 point 155-158Ē 4 year old off my feeder. 11 pointer that a hunter shot and lost he took to his House. A very heavy 8, which is probably from another of my stands 150Ē+. The other 2 are a 6 and smaller 10. I havenít seen the 6, 8, or 10 yet. Kinda took the wind out of sail, pretty committed at this point this season. No telling how much damage was done though.

Iím glad owner came clean, I know that wasnít easy

Devastated would be an understatement! That sucks man.

I had the same thing happen to my feed. It had 20% turn to powder. My ranch is past the struggle mark! Nearly every pond is dry. Rain would definitely ďBe a Good Thing!Ē

BillyloMexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2020, 08:26 AM   #166
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Quote:
Came back today.
conversion rate is around 23:1, Iíd make sure you donít get screwed at feed store, I think we did this time.
We killed 2 rattle bugs.
2 other timed protein feeders were clogged up. Protein was hot as **** 100-120 degrees and humid when we put it out last month, I bet sweated like crazy In that beer can. Santa Maria lovin I guess. Time before last my gravity 2000# was clogged, seemed like the pellets were turning to powder and didnít have the shinny glaze it normally had. All this stuff was medicated, may have cause the problem not sure.

We got 3 stands moved

Sounds like cowboy that stole a gun earlier in season actually shot at least 5 deer, really ****** about that. He shot a 13 point 155-158Ē 4 year old off my feeder. 11 pointer that a hunter shot and lost he took to his House. A very heavy 8, which is probably from another of my stands 150Ē+. The other 2 are a 6 and smaller 10. I havenít seen the 6, 8, or 10 yet. Kinda took the wind out of sail, pretty committed at this point this season. No telling how much damage was done though.

That last paragraph was rough to read, unfortunately happens a lot, owners canít be worse than them all

Old 04-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #167
Jbguide
Six Point

Quote:
Came back today.
We killed 2 rattle bugs.

We got 3 stands moved

Iím going to miss hunting with you guys next season, but very glad I moved on from that **** show!! I was really hoping that my gun being stolen was the last of the nightmare, but it keeps on going. I really hope my dad gets his deer back, so we can at least have some kind of silver lining!

Old 04-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #168
Boomboom
Eight Point

Quote:
Came back today.
We killed 2 rattle bugs.

We got 3 stands moved

Dang, lots of crazy stuff going on inside the big orange gate this past season.
Boomboom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #169
Johnson
Four Point

Who on here feeds Lyssy Eckel feed? Do you buy it in piedras and how much is it per ton? I'm having the same problem with SM 20% protein feed turning into powder.
Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #170
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
Who on here feeds Lyssy Eckel feed? Do you buy it in piedras and how much is it per ton? I'm having the same problem with SM 20% protein feed turning into powder.
We feed it, 550 a ton. Absolutely zero clogging issues. Buy it out of Nuevo Laredo.
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2020, 01:56 PM   #171
jlopez
Four Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico & Carlos TX

We crossed yesterday in Columbia with no issues. Ranch looked great and ponds had water! Group saw 4 large rattlesnakes over the weekend.
jlopez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #172
dc1986
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlopez View Post
We crossed yesterday in Columbia with no issues. Ranch looked great and ponds had water! Group saw 4 large rattlesnakes over the weekend.
Thatís great news. Glad yíall finally got some rain. Good luck this year.
dc1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #173
jlopez
Four Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico & Carlos TX

Thanks Darren. Same to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1986 View Post
Thatís great news. Glad yíall finally got some rain. Good luck this year.
jlopez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #174
dstrong
Pope & Young

Quote:

They are aware of it. Stand up folks. Iíd imagine if you communicate it to them, they will make it right. All I feed is SM. Havenít had any issues but I also keep it as fresh as possible. We donít buy more than we feed in a month.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #175
Johnson
Four Point

Quote:
They are aware of it. Stand up folks. Iíd imagine if you communicate it to them, they will make it right. All I feed is SM. Havenít had any issues but I also keep it as fresh as possible. We donít buy more than we feed in a month.
I did contact SM feed and they told me that they would give me new batch of protein if I brought the old stuff back. They did tell me that the cooler wasn't working and there electricity was out. Some of the guys that I helped put protein out, when they picked it up it was still hot. And this last weekend we picked it up and the bags where warm not hot. I picked up a batch a couple moths ago and you had to brake up clumps in the bags. I feel like SM will get this problem corrected. It just sucks going to the lease and have feeders clogged up and you have to empty the into bags.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:13 PM   #176
VetteRprMan
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Our feed from SM was fresh. We buy it every trip on the way to the ranch. We talked with Ruben. I think it was still hot from the oven. The cooker was not working properly. I have two electric protein feeders running over there. Had to empty both, rebag it. We put it in a free choice feeder. Dean, which SM feed are you currently feeding? Not only were both my feeders clogged, I had passed up a 23 inch 11 point several times. He was too young to shoot. The cowboy had his horns at his house! Other deer off our ranch too. Iíve hunted for over forty years. Seeing those horns was the most disappointing thing thatís ever happened to me on a lease. Iím really bummed about that. I have spent way too much time and money for this to happen. I wonder how much damage he has done to our herd? Time will tell.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:26 PM   #177
dstrong
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteRprMan View Post
Our feed from SM was fresh. We buy it every trip on the way to the ranch. We talked with Ruben. I think it was still hot from the oven. The cooker was not working properly. I have two electric protein feeders running over there. Had to empty both, rebag it. We put it in a free choice feeder. Dean, which SM feed are you currently feeding? Not only were both my feeders clogged, I had passed up a 23 inch 11 point several times. He was too young to shoot. The cowboy had his horns at his house! Other deer off our ranch too. Iíve hunted for over forty years. Seeing those horns was the most disappointing thing thatís ever happened to me on a lease. Iím really bummed about that. I have spent way too much time and money for this to happen. I wonder how much damage he has done to our herd? Time will tell.

I feed 20%.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:32 AM   #178
EastTexasMan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas - Pop Up blind & Old Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteRprMan View Post
Our feed from SM was fresh. We buy it every trip on the way to the ranch. We talked with Ruben. I think it was still hot from the oven. The cooker was not working properly. I have two electric protein feeders running over there. Had to empty both, rebag it. We put it in a free choice feeder. Dean, which SM feed are you currently feeding? Not only were both my feeders clogged, I had passed up a 23 inch 11 point several times. He was too young to shoot. The cowboy had his horns at his house! Other deer off our ranch too. I’ve hunted for over forty years. Seeing those horns was the most disappointing thing that’s ever happened to me on a lease. I’m really bummed about that. I have spent way too much time and money for this to happen. I wonder how much damage he has done to our herd? Time will tell.
It be hard for me to stay on a place where the cowboys are shooting the deer you're paying for and feeding. Hopefully the owner is giving you a discount this year? or something?
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #179
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasMan View Post
It be hard for me to stay on a place where the cowboys are shooting the deer you're paying for and feeding. Hopefully the owner is giving you a discount this year? or something?

It better be for free

Old 04-22-2020, 01:43 PM   #180
elgato
Ten Point

Word from this morning is that Mayor of Piedras passed an ordinance limiting number of people in a vehicle to 1 with checkpoints to be established around town. I have someone investigating and will report.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:02 PM   #181
Jbguide
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
Word from this morning is that Mayor of Piedras passed an ordinance limiting number of people in a vehicle to 1 with checkpoints to be established around town. I have someone investigating and will report.

Any more news on this?

Old 04-23-2020, 07:33 PM   #182
Johnson
Four Point

[QUOTE=Jbguide;14831647]Any more news on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
I talked with my land owner, he confirmed one person per car and you have to be wearing a face mask.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #183
Jbguide
Six Point

[quote=Johnson;14831714]
Quote:
Any more news on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
I talked with my land owner, he confirmed one person per car and you have to be wearing a face mask.

Only in PN or all of Mexico?

Old 04-23-2020, 07:42 PM   #184
Johnson
Four Point

[quote=Jbguide;14831716]
Quote:

Only in PN or all of Mexico?

I didn't ask anywhere other then PN
Old 04-23-2020, 08:03 PM   #185
red-fin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho County and Mexico
Default Clogged feeders

Quote:
Came back today.
We killed 2 rattle bugs.

We got 3 stands moved

Reading this makes me hope this is the last bad news yíall will hear from this lease.

It sure is a blessing to have a great cowboy on lease over there, I am very fortunate to have the one we have. Donít have to worry about feeders being full or unclogged. Now we just need a lot of rain!!
red-fin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #186
Jbguide
Six Point

[quote=Johnson;14831730]
Quote:

I didn't ask anywhere other then PN

Ok I was just wondering. Probably can go across at Columbia if itís just in PN.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:12 AM   #187
Learjet
Four Point

Rex, I think Pedro is a rare breed in Mexico
Old 04-24-2020, 01:03 AM   #188
VetteRprMan
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Rex, I think Pedro is a rare breed in Mexico
Probably the best cowboy in Mexico! Great guy. Super honest. I think you could leave a pile of money on your bed for weeks, when you got back it would all be there.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #189
elgato
Ten Point

I was told yesterday the ruling will go into effect Monday. 1 person per vehicle. I cancelled my trip till further understanding. I " think" it is just for Piedras?. Will keep reporting what I learn from friends living in Piedras.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:43 PM   #190
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Quote:
I was told yesterday the ruling will go into effect Monday. 1 person per vehicle. I cancelled my trip till further understanding. I " think" it is just for Piedras?. Will keep reporting what I learn from friends living in Piedras.

Thanks rusty

Old 04-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #191
Johnson
Four Point

Update on the SM protein. I've been talking to Ruben the last few days and they are working on the problem. This last batch of protein is in much better shape. And they are going to continue to monitor the feed.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #192
sneaky freak
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old mexico and saltwater

Quote:
Would like to know as well, me and jbguide are planning a trip down for that day.
sneaky freak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #193
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky freak View Post
Would like to know as well, me and jbguide are planning a trip down for that day.
Update from this afternoon :

We were going to check our guns out Tuesday. Speaking with Angadi, they said one person from Angadi could ride with my ranch mgr. to ranch to get guns and meet us at bridge to check guns out.

We canceled trip not being able to spend a few days at ranch. We were told rumor is could get worse for next few weeks????? Don't know what that means. I'm going to play it by ear as I have some time before guns have to come out.

Cant imagine how a " 1 person per vehicle" rule will work there???
Old 04-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #194
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Quote:

We were going to check our guns out Tuesday. Speaking with Angadi, they said one person from Angadi could ride with my ranch mgr. to ranch to get guns and meet us at bridge to check guns out.

We canceled trip not being able to spend a few days at ranch. We were told rumor is could get worse for next few weeks????? Don't know what that means. I'm going to play it by ear as I have some time before guns have to come out.

Hard to imagine in the carpool capital of the world lol

Old 04-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #195
sneaky freak
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old mexico and saltwater

Quote:

Horrible news thanks for the update
sneaky freak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2020, 10:57 AM   #196
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Albany / Sterling City / Mexico

Do you guys think they will have a season & issue tags and permits if the border is still restricted to essential traffic only?

walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #197
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Default Old Mexico 2020/2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1983 View Post
Do you guys think they will have a season & issue tags and permits if the border is still restricted to essential traffic only?

No the world will implode with another month of this, much less 6 more months. Season will go on as scheduled, you and i can cross right now with minimal requirements.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #198
BillyloMexico
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
No the world will implode with another month of this, much less 6 more months. Season will go on as scheduled, you and i can cross right now with minimal requirements.

Agreed! Business as usual by then.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #199
elgato
Ten Point

I'll be swimming the river going to Mexico if that is the case. Maybe Stu Stedman will build a toll bridge. I cant imagine this thing dragging on that long!!!
Old 04-25-2020, 01:18 PM   #200
BillyloMexico
Ten Point

Quote:
I'll be swimming the river going to Mexico if that is the case. Maybe Stu Stedman will build a toll bridge. I cant imagine this thing dragging on that long!!!

Iíve got a boat, no worries! Lol