Bolivar Surf Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bolivar Surf Fishing

We are heading down to Crystal beach Sat-Wed. We have a beach house right on the beach and me and my boys are wanting to do a little surf fishing. We fish fresh water alot but rarely get to fish the salt. What will the surf fishing be like this Sat through next Wed? Also what would yall be throwing? Any help will be greatly appreciated

I'm not the best at predicting what the surf will do but it looks ok from what I can tell.

As far as what to do/use, you'll want to wade out to the 1st or 2nd sandbar (2nd likely) and fish the guts between them. Best bet on catching fish will probably be live shrimp under a popping cork. There's plenty of artificials to be used as well but shrimp under a popping cork will be the most popular answer.

If you've never done it before, I would suggest picking up a bubble box for getting the shrimp from the bait camp to the beach. The following link is a bucket with box combo deal but you can buy just the box if you like and throw it on a little cooler.

This Marine Metal Products Cool Bubbles 8 qt. Insulated Livewell bucket will keep bait alive on your next fishing expedition. This self-contained pail with a detach...

The cajun thunder popping corks in the next link work fine for me. Tie about a 2.5-3' leader between cork and hook (straight/circle/treble hook, your preference). You can add a spit shot up close the the cork side of that leader for added weight if you want but it's not necessary. Hook the shrimp under the barb (avoid going through the little black dot inside the head).

Enhance your lure with the Cajun Thunder Weighted Oval Click Float. This foam float creates a clicking sound to entice fish and features a stainless-steel wire, sol...

As for artificials, paddle tails such as down south lures on a 1/4 oz jig head, spoons, mirolures, vudu shrimp... all good. Topwater bite can be awesome in the surf as well, hard to go wrong with a Heddon Super Spook.

Would be handy to have a wading belt with pliers/net/stringer and also a bait bucket to keep in the water with you if you chose to do the live shrimp thing.

Bait bucket link > https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/fra...dCatid=6705103
    Last edited by tmurray; 07-18-2019, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I pretty much grew up down there. Hard to beat a gold spoon. But Mr 52s work good. Top waters. Rocks [emoji23]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I second wade fishing with live shrimp under a popping cork over or between the bars. This is best early and late. I'd also have a big rod with cut bait on the bottom and a short steel leader for reds, small sharks, rays, or whatever else bites.

Comment

If I was guessing, I'd say Monday and Tuesday would be your best weather days for surf fishing. A bunch of it depends on water clarity, at least for trout. If the water starts to get clean, live shrimp under a popping cork or live croaker should catch you some trout. If you want to throw plastics, purple/chartreuse Down South Lures are my go to. If the water stays dirty, take some heavier tackle, get a cast net and try to catch some mullet, either put them on whole or cut in bigger chunks and you should at least catch some sharks and possibly redfish.

Comment

Forecast looks like it's going to be too rough for most of your trip as far as Trout fishing the surf goes. You may get a shot at them Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning. If it was me I would take that Xpress you have and hit the Jetties and the reefs/spoils/wells in lower Galveston bay. Any of the lures above will work there too or free lining live shrimp on the deeper areas.

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
              I'm not the best at predicting what the surf will do but it looks ok from what I can tell.

As far as what to do/use, you'll want to wade out to the 1st or 2nd sandbar (2nd likely) and fish the guts between them. Best bet on catching fish will probably be live shrimp under a popping cork. There's plenty of artificials to be used as well but shrimp under a popping cork will be the most popular answer.

If you've never done it before, I would suggest picking up a bubble box for getting the shrimp from the bait camp to the beach. The following link is a bucket with box combo deal but you can buy just the box if you like and throw it on a little cooler.

This Marine Metal Products Cool Bubbles 8 qt. Insulated Livewell bucket will keep bait alive on your next fishing expedition. This self-contained pail with a detach...

The cajun thunder popping corks in the next link work fine for me. Tie about a 2.5-3' leader between cork and hook (straight/circle/treble hook, your preference). You can add a spit shot up close the the cork side of that leader for added weight if you want but it's not necessary. Hook the shrimp under the barb (avoid going through the little black dot inside the head).

Enhance your lure with the Cajun Thunder Weighted Oval Click Float. This foam float creates a clicking sound to entice fish and features a stainless-steel wire, sol...

As for artificials, paddle tails such as down south lures on a 1/4 oz jig head, spoons, mirolures, vudu shrimp... all good. Topwater bite can be awesome in the surf as well, hard to go wrong with a Heddon Super Spook.

Would be handy to have a wading belt with pliers/net/stringer and also a bait bucket to keep in the water with you if you chose to do the live shrimp thing.

Bait bucket link > https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/fra...dCatid=6705103

This is how we've always done it. I use a small treble hook for the shrimp. Also freeze a couple bottles of water to put in the bait bucket with the bubble box, but wash them real good 1st.

I prefer topwaters so I don't have to go get bait so early, and I bought some vudu shrimp to try to avoid buying live this year. We will be there Sunday-Saturday, but not sure when we'll fish. Weather looks like **** all week.

Comment

When fishing the Surf, I like clear skies, low wind, and high tides.Saturday and Monday looks good, Sunday Tuesday and Wednesday have a chance of rain but looks good later in the day. The best way to fish the surf is find the cover. So if the surf comes in and disappears in a certain spot I’d try fishing there. I’d bring a medium size rod to heavy rod and throw corresponding lure sizes. You can never go wrong catching smaller fish when that’s all that biting. I fly fish the surf its a lot of fun. Here are some takes from my you tube

A Bully Lady Fish on a Fiberglass 7wt Echo BAG Quickshot Fly Rod https://youtu.be/oMaVc0F-A6E

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I would also inquire about any water bacteria

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                    We are heading down to Crystal beach Sat-Wed. We have a beach house right on the beach and me and my boys are wanting to do a little surf fishing. We fish fresh water alot but rarely get to fish the salt. What will the surf fishing be like this Sat through next Wed? Also what would yall be throwing? Any help will be greatly appreciated
                    If you are gonna use bait, cut mullet, whole mullet is the ticket. Shrimp, live or dead will not stay on your hook very well.

If you are using artificials, mullet/baitfish imitators are good, don't be shy about using a spoon either.

Comment

Lot of good advice here. Get out there early in the morning and don't be afraid to fish shallow. If it's blown out and rough and dirty try soaking mullet like mentioned above.

If you need some surf rods give me a holler. I've got several surf set ups yall are welcome to use. Most of my stuff is at the lease but I've probably got some bait buckets and stuff here too.

Hope y'all have a great time and good luck!

Comment

Going to be down this weekend and might give the surf a shot. Any opinions on how the water will be based on this weekend's forecast?

Comment

I’m seeing very light N/NW winds predicted. The surf should be knocked down with ice cream conditions for wading.

Comment

Looks pretty good to me for Saturday
                            Attached Files

Comment

I usually go down in the area of barrels 7-10 and wade out early with top waters in bone or a chrome color. Then after they stop biting I switch to a gold spoon and or Down South paddle tails.

I would go buy a couple of lures from Texas Coastal Outdoors ( next door to Jose’s Cantina) he can help you out.

Comment

Working...
                              X