Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 09-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #1
TxAg
Pope & Young

Default Tell me about your 45-70

What do you hunt with it? What's your effective range? What ammo do you like? What gn do you have? Blah blah blah

Please share your experiences
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #2
aggie_archer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kentucky and Maine

Can't say too much about mine as I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. But I recently purchased a Henry cold case hardened steel .45-70 topped of with a vortex Dimondback 3-9 x 40 scope. Started with a box of Hornday LeverEvolution ammo to start but plan on trying buffalo Bore ammo as well and if all else fail will roll my own. Plans are to take it back home to Maine when I finally draw my moose tag. May also try to take a black bear if I get time to hunt back home. Depending how it shoots I may also take the scope off and throw on a peep sight.....but that would be a project for a later date.
aggie_archer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I've killed two deer and a few hogs with it. I need to make a point of carrying it more as it's a lot fun and my favorite rig for spot and stalk hog hunting.

One of those deer was killed at 210 yards. I know that seems extreme but with the 325 grain Hornady Leverevolution it shoots 3 inches at 200 yards. It's an inch or less at 100 with a 1-4 illuminated dot Millet on top.

The below is a 200 yard group, she won't make a head shot at that range but considering that's a 6 inch target with a 1 inch spot it will work.
Attached Images

Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

I've got a Marlin GBL with a 2x scope. I shoot 300gr coreloks and the Leverevolutions. Mine shoots right at an inch at a 100yds. It's a hog hammer. I'll hunt my bow stand with it so my shots are close. I've not deer hunted with it only because I use my bow or 30-06 for that business. I like the big gun.
kevin nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK

Got two. First is a Marlin Guide Gun. Love it and will never sell it. I shoot hand loaded 300gr hard cast at 2215fps out of the short barrel. Sighted 2" @ 100', I think 6" low at 200 and still rolling like a freight train. It also shoots the 405gr JSP at 1850fps, but those suckers kick pretty good. I have a Leupold 2.5x shotgun scope on it. Only shot one buck with it...at a whopping 8yds.

Second one is a chopped down H&R single shot. 16" barrel. Shoots standard pressure 300gr JHP at about 1750fps. Youth stock, right at 30" long, 5.5lbs. Just about short enough to fit in a thigh holster a la Ash from army of Darkness. Lol. Recoil is excessive, but for close up pig popping in thick stuff it can't be beat. Oh, and it's dang accurate too!

Here they are...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
seminole1990
Ten Point

Hunt In: Valdosta, GA; Haskell, Tx, The H, LBJ Grasslands

I've been bow hunting with few exceptions for the last 7 years, however I own a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70 and I love it. Bought it for a hunt in New Brunswick Canada back in 2001.
It has a Leupold IER Scout 2x scope on a weaver mount. This allows me to hunt with both eyes open with the extended eye relief scope. Also mounted a rear peep sight, b/c with the Weaver mount you have to remove the "V" open sight.

I've taken the scope off, and then put it right back on again (having marked the exact spot where it was mounted) and put 5 in the bull ring at 100 yds. I don't make it a habit but it was cool that it worked.
Love this gun and have killed many deer and hogs with it. If I had tons 'o' $$$ I'd invest in a larger lever so as to fit a leather gloved hand easier, John Wayne style.

I shoot the leverevolution ammo 325 grain.
seminole1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
Willicd76
Four Point

Hunt In: Hall, cottle, hutchinson counties

My old marlin shoots custom 435gr hard cast bullets at 1950fps into HONEST 1" 100yd groups. Its brutal but i guess i could shoot pretty much anything i want with it!
Willicd76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #8
txpitdog
Pope & Young

I completely forgot this one. Haven't shot it yet, but it has been in my family at least since the 1910s-20s, possibly since before then. All original Springfield 1878 trapdoor 45-70 made in 1884. Folks light-heartedly talk about hunting to put food on the table, but that is exactly what my great-grandfather and grandfather both used this for. Mainly in West Virginia then later in the mountains of North Carolina. It wasn't until the 40's that that side of my family began earning enough money to be able to hunt more for recreation than subsistence. I hope to take a deer with it some day.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #9
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly

I have 77 Marlin 1895 killed many critters with it over the years I usually shoot a 405 grain hard cast bullet fairly mild load it is topped with a Leupold 1.5x5 and I have a 2000 model Guide Gun shot several pigs and middle son used it for his first exotic a four horn ram it loves the 325 grain Hornady I can't load anything it likes better than the factory load it also wears a Leupold 1.5x5
twosixteens is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #10
WhiplashTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard

I have a Browning 1885 with a 28" barrel and wouldn't be afraid to hunt anything that walks on this continent with it. My deer load for it is the Hornady 300gr HP at 2300fps although I've been tempted to try the 325 flex tips. I've only shot one deer with it at 200yards but it dropped on the spot and while the wound channel was impressive the surrounding meat damage was minimal. My preferred range is 300 yards or less and it will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 if I do my part.

The biggest downside to the 45/70 is the trajectory and the low ballistic coefficient. It starts out with a lot of power but bleeds it off fast and the bullet drops like a rock past 250 yards. I had to pass a shot at an Axis last year that was at roughly 400-450yards and being 25 yards off at that range equals a foot of drop. If I would have had my regular deer rifle it wouldn't have been an issue.
WhiplashTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #11
TxAg
Pope & Young

Walmart had one marked down to $299 the other day. I should have snagged it.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #12
boomer453
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine Parish

Mines an 1885 replica made by Uberti. 30" full octagon barrel, globe front sight and a shaver vernier sight on the tang. Designed as a black powder cartridge rifle and that's how I shoot it. A 530gr lead Creedmoor bullet that I cast myself over 62 grains of 2f black powder. Definitely the funnest gun to shoot I own.
boomer453 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #13
coop
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
I completely forgot this one. Haven't shot it yet, but it has been in my family at least since the 1910s-20s, possibly since before then. All original Springfield 1878 trapdoor 45-70 made in 1884. Folks light-heartedly talk about hunting to put food on the table, but that is exactly what my great-grandfather and grandfather both used this for. Mainly in West Virginia then later in the mountains of North Carolina. It wasn't until the 40's that that side of my family began earning enough money to be able to hunt more for recreation than subsistence. I hope to take a deer with it some day.

I have one like this 1884 that my grandfather bought army surplus in the early 1890's for $15. I hunted coyotes, feral dogs and other varmints around the farm growing up with it. Mine is not in near as good of condition as yours. My older cousin was allowed to play with it before my dad ended up with it. It is very accurate to 100 yards with 405 gr. Rem Korlocks (sp).

Sorry for hijacking.

JC
coop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #14
coop
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

This is mine.

Name:  Rifle 001 9-20-08.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  90.2 KB
coop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #15
32drawlength
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County, Mexia

I picked my first 45-70 this winter & really like shooting it with open iron sites.
I grabbed the 405 gr ammo & like it's balance & recoil.
Planning to hunt with it this fall
32drawlength is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2016, 12:35 AM   #16
geezer56
Six Point

I have a H&R Shikari in 45-70. She has a 28 inch barrel and a pretty much useless ramrod/cleaning rod underneath the barrel. I swapped out the low comb stock for a monte carlo aince it was drilled and tapped for a scope. I've probably killed 20 deer with it over the years. I shoot the Hornady 300 gr bullets at top level trapdoor loadings. Pretty much a bang-flop deal most of the time.
geezer56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2016, 12:37 AM   #17
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk
DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2016, 12:59 AM   #18
Coon
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

Quote:

What loads do you shoot thru that beauty?
Coon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2016, 07:23 AM   #19
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coon View Post
What loads do you shoot thru that beauty?

I haven't shot it yet but I will probably start at low trapdoor levels, maybe even down to 44mag level. 300gr at 1500fps or so. No need to push it and risk damaging or destroying it.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:37 AM   #20
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

I have a new england arms single shot break over. I didn't enjoy it enough to sight it in.
stinkbelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2016, 10:23 AM   #21
APYnckel
Four Point

I have an 1895G Marlin (from BEFORE they got bought out). It's an incredible rifle. I handload a 300gr combined technologies load for it running 2350fps. It makes single ragged holes at 50 yards, spreads out a touch at 100. Only have a 4x optic on it, so reaching out past that really isn't the intent of the rifle.
APYnckel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #22
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County

Quote:

My mom has that exact gun, except it's an 1873 Springfield trap door.
Even has the bayonet.

My grandpa found it in the attic of an old house behind his grocery store.
BuckySWT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #23
RJH1
Ten Point

I have had several over the years, and loved them,and then finally decided that they were one of the all round worst options in rifles. They kick like a SOB if loaded warm, and if not loaded warm a 44 mag out of a rifle is pretty close in power, but I n a smaller, hander, and cheaper package. Regardless of how they are loaded they will have a rainbow trajectory compared to a 3006, 308, or any other deer rifle that you can find ammo for at most stores and don't beat the crap out of you when you shoot it, and make 300 yd shots fairly easy. If you want something for big bears or buffalo the 45/70 might be just what you want, but for most everything else, there are much, much better options. But if you really have to get one, get an 86 Japanechester, and buy Paco Kelly's book.
RJH1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2016, 01:11 PM   #24
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

I have the Marlin 45-70 SBL and it looks and shoots great. I use it as a thumper for hogs and stuff like that lol and you definitely wont have any running away from you. I like the Hornady Leverevoultion ammo. The drop is pretty significant at distance but i'd say 200 yards should be okay if you know your bullet drops and sight it in accordingly. That's just what i use it for being in TX. It's more than enough gun to take down lots of other larger animals worldwide if that's your goal.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #25
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Walmart had one marked down to $299 the other day. I should have snagged it.
Absolutely!
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #26
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County

I had an 1895G and had to sell it. Loved that rifle and plan on finding another one someday soon. I hand loaded for it. 300 gr hornady around 2200 fps. Kicked like a mule but sure layed the hammer to deer and hogs.

I have acquired a Marlin 444 and im absolutely loving it. Hand load for it also. 265 gr hornady at 2400fps.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Buckwheat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #27
SouthTX1911
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montgomery County, Arkansas, Anywhere invited

I've got a Stainless Marlin GG. It has the XS rail and ghost ring and a Leupy 1.5-5 scout scope with quick detach rings. I've taken it bear hunting, never saw one. My father in law took it Nilgai hunting but never got to use it. I shot a hog with it exactly a year ago on Wednesday this week on my son's birthday. I like the Hornadys but have a box of buffalo bore that I'm almost afraid to shoot. Lol. Honestly the Hornadys are not bad at all. I think it is the round in general. People assume it will kick the crap out of you, and it definitely will with a hot load, but it has more of a push. I would rather shoot it than my 300wm any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SouthTX1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #28
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Quote:
I haven't shot it yet but I will probably start at low trapdoor levels, maybe even down to 44mag level. 300gr at 1500fps or so. No need to push it and risk damaging or destroying it.
Was that not made to shoot the black power loaded 45-70 ?
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2016, 04:10 PM   #29
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter69 View Post
Was that not made to shoot the black power loaded 45-70 ?

I'm sure it was and it still can, but I don't know jack doodly about BPCR shooting or loading.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #30
CWendling
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

My 45-70....havent shot it over 600 yet. 535gr lead postell over BP. Once you go black you never go back
Attached Images

CWendling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2016, 06:16 PM   #31
Tbar
Ten Point

I bought a nice 1895G(made in 2000) off a guy recently with a Leopold 3-9 scope. I have only shot the reloads he gave me but I have run out of adjustment on the scope. Adjusted all the way down It hits 7" low at 50 yards and 14" low at 100 yards.

Do I have a scope problem or a reload problem? FWIW it has a reasonably tight group at 100 yards.
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #32
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbar View Post
I bought a nice 1895G(made in 2000) off a guy recently with a Leopold 3-9 scope. I have only shot the reloads he gave me but I have run out of adjustment on the scope. Adjusted all the way down It hits 7" low at 50 yards and 14" low at 100 yards.

Do I have a scope problem or a reload problem? FWIW it has a reasonably tight group at 100 yards.

Are they powder puff loads or pretty stout? Surprised they would hit that low
Old 09-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #33
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:

I think scope. Pull it off and try it with irons and see what happens
RJH1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #34
TxAg
Pope & Young

Enjoying this thread
Old 09-27-2016, 07:10 AM   #35
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly

Tbar some of the 1895's had an issue with the action being threaded so that the barrel droops (points down) slightly. There are several posts on the Marlin Owners Forum about this. The open sights should work just fine as they are barrel mounted. A peep sight should also work or even a scout scope set up barrel mounted. If I remember Marlin (Remington)wasn't really doing much to repair them.
twosixteens is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 08:37 AM   #36
Tbar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosixteens View Post
Tbar some of the 1895's had an issue with the action being threaded so that the barrel droops (points down) slightly. There are several posts on the Marlin Owners Forum about this. The open sights should work just fine as they are barrel mounted. A peep sight should also work or even a scout scope set up barrel mounted. If I remember Marlin (Remington)wasn't really doing much to repair them.
Really.....I thought those problems appeared when Remington started making them? This one was built in 2000. Don't know if I could do iron sites now with my eyes.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #37
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke, Denton

Quote:

Warne makes a 20moa base for the 1895. That should give you enough elevation to zero it at 100 if you are 14" low now.
adam_p is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #38
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer453 View Post
Mines an 1885 replica made by Uberti. 30" full octagon barrel, globe front sight and a shaver vernier sight on the tang. Designed as a black powder cartridge rifle and that's how I shoot it. A 530gr lead Creedmoor bullet that I cast myself over 62 grains of 2f black powder. Definitely the funnest gun to shoot I own.
I have a Shilo Sharps that should be here next week.

How do you clean the barrel after shooting black powder?

I make a mess when I clan my muzzle loader.
I dont understand how you keep all the gunk out of the breech and black
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #39
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

Name:  IMG_0402.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  36.1 KB

I have a Marlin 1895 SBL in the 45-70 caliber. It has the 18 inch barrel and can hold 6 rounds in the tube plus one in the chamber. I have it topped with a Leopold VX.R 2-7 with the Fire dot reticle.
I shoot the Hornady Leverevolution 325 gr FTX ammunition.
I carry my rifle when I am in elk country up here also inhabited by Grizzly bear. I am going to take it on a deer hunt in November where I will be in close range brushy country.
I have mine sighted in to be dead on at 100 yards. At 155 yards it drops 3.5 inches, at 205 yards it drops 9.5 inches and at 255 yards it drops 19.4 inches. These yardages match up to the hash marks in my scope reticle. I consider my rifle to be great to 250 yards.
I really wish I would have had this rifle when I lived in Texas as I think it would be the cats meow on hogs down there. And, where I hunted whitetail down outside Beeville, it would have been perfect there as well as most all of my shots were within 250 yards.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #40
TxAg
Pope & Young

^^^ I like that!
Old 09-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #41
Randy M
Six Point

This is my Henry 010. Love this gun! I handload a 300 grain JSP pushed by a 'plethora' of powder. I originally wanted to stick with the 405 grain since that is what the gun was built around, but the trajectory sucks quite frankly. The 300 allows me to easily reach out as far as my eyes will let me.

[IMG][/IMG]
Randy M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 04:03 PM   #42
Lonestar_HOYT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

I have a 45-70 I bought off of here 3-4 years ago and love it.
Attached Images

Lonestar_HOYT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 04:26 PM   #43
WyoBull
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
I have a 45-70 I bought off of here 3-4 years ago and love it.
When I bought mine, pictured above, I wanted the XLR like you have with the longer barrel but since they quit making them I could not find one in the shape I wanted. I a lot of guys up here use that very same gun for elk and I think I will take mine on my next trip to Africa. Nice rifle!
Old 09-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #44
Lonestar_HOYT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

WB- I wondered if your rifle was the XLR, they look the same. I like that rail you have on there. These rifles will ruin a hogs whole day.
Lonestar_HOYT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 07:10 PM   #45
WyoBull
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
WB- I wondered if your rifle was the XLR, they look the same. I like that rail you have on there. These rifles will ruin a hogs whole day.
No, mine is the SBL, so it has the shorter barrel. I did not have a picture handy of the entire gun. I do really like the larger lever loop, especially up here in the winter when having to wear heavy gloves.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2016, 08:22 PM   #46
boomer453
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine Parish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I have a Shilo Sharps that should be here next week.

How do you clean the barrel after shooting black powder?

I make a mess when I clan my muzzle loader.
I dont understand how you keep all the gunk out of the breech and black
It's actually pretty easy. At the range I keep a bag of patches damp with a wiping solution (I use 50/50 ballistol and windex) and run 1 patch between shots. Even after shooting 50 rounds cleanup is never more than 4-5 patches for the barrel and a solvent damp rag wipe down of everything else 10 minutes at most.
boomer453 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 08:26 PM   #47
CWendling
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

Same here, but i use balistol and water mix. Wipe between shots as well.
CWendling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 08:43 PM   #48
Tbar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop View Post
I have one like this 1884 that my grandfather bought army surplus in the early 1890's for $15. I hunted coyotes, feral dogs and other varmints around the farm growing up with it. Mine is not in near as good of condition as yours. My older cousin was allowed to play with it before my dad ended up with it. It is very accurate to 100 yards with 405 gr. Rem Korlocks (sp).

Sorry for hijacking.

JC
My dad had one when I was a kid. We shot it a few times......once at a tree 300 yards away using the ladder sights. I remember hearing the boom....and what seemed like 3 seconds later.....WACK!!!

Unfortunately the rifle was stolen during a break in. I still have a couple of the 500gn Spanish American War era rounds.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:37 AM   #49
APYnckel
Four Point

Here's mine.

APYnckel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 11:12 AM   #50
TxAg
Pope & Young

Bump