No announcement yet.

Getting my dog a dog...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a red dobie also. She’s been a great dog. I would get a second Doberman, because that’s what I wish I did.

Comment

I got a lab, and 2 years later a pointer. The lab could not care any less what the GSP is doing, until we get into a field. The GSP will point, and the lab come flying over the top of her to get whatever is out there. Other than that, the two keep to themselves. I think you either need to get another pup now, or wait until this one has lived 2/3 of its life before it will appreciate the new pup.

We will never have more than one dog again at our current age gap of two years.

Comment

Originally posted by jmiles95 View Post
        she's a beautiful girl! our male dobie is now 2 1/2, also a red. He's my wife's dog for sure and he also stresses out when she is gone for a day or 2.

ours is the best, most gentle big dog, and has been socialized with (mainly my daughters') other dogs from a young age. He loves all dogs thus far...we dog sit for another big male dobie sometimes, and they play well, and said dobie has 2 boston terriers as his house mates, whom we also sit along with him a lot of times. even a mini-weenie wasn't an issue at all with him.

then he loves when my daughters' dogs visit, 1 austraillian shepard who lived with us over a year until my daughter moved out, then other 2 grand-dogs are a male lab and female lab mix...never issues there either, although the female can be a butthead at times, so I'm not much help on how 2 females might get along.

and now we have a 10-month old beagle pup that we got around Christmas, and those 2 have a blast chasing each other around. beagle is a male too. never any issues there either. so while our dobie, Duke, can literally chew up and eat deer bones or any others for that matter, he is super gentle even with smaller dogs and has never hurt any of them by playing too rough.

i think our Duke really enjoys the company, but was okay when he was by himself. We aren't as good about taking him on walks as we should be, so having a playmate to run around with is good to help make sure he gets exercise.

the only time we have ever seen what you might consider "close to a fight" was sitting the other male dobie when he first got to our house once - he too is very fond of my wife, so those 2 can butt heads about who gets to sit closest to her, or try to get on her lap!

good luck with your decision - all dogs are different, but based on my limited experience i don't think you have to worry much about what breed your second dog is, your dobie will likely be fine with a wide range of sizes and types of dogs.
        My neighbor in college had a beagle and that was my dobies best bud. For whatever reason he seems to get along and play with smaller dogs better. He seems to just tolerate dogs that are his size or larger but plays like a puppy still with small dogs. Weird I know.

Comment

I would get another Doberman if you like them.

I inherited a male beagle when I got married and best thing I did was get another dog to keep him company/occupied. We ended up with a female lab mix from the pound. Went from being a needy little **** to having some one to play with and is so much better behaved now. They are only about 6-8 months apart we think and they get along great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can have both of mine

Comment

I have 2 dogs, black-mouth cur/pit and boxer/pit.

They both have jealousy issues. I can't pet one without the other barging in.
              They both want to be with me at all times and are afraid the other will get more than they will. Neither will go outside and use the bathroom by themselves.

I have been splitting them up recently. Taking 1 out fishing or to Cabelas training, then alternating the next time.

Comment

Doggie Day Care is great! They will go home and sleep the entire next day, if you work inside loop 610 shoot me a message I have a day care just off 610 and Yale

Comment

Probably depends on the dogs, but I got an Olde English Bulldog recently after my wife got an Australian Shepherd/Border collie mix last year. The Aussie mix was kind of a pain as a puppy, into everything and kind of a spaz. She's still a spaz, but I think she has mellowed quite a bit with the addition of another dog. The bulldog doesn't get into nearly the amount of trouble the Aussie did, but could just be the breed. I've had good luck getting dogs a year apart from each other. I have friends who have got two puppies at the same time and destroyed everything together, so maybe wait a bit.

Comment

I wouldn't want two dogs the same age. When they are older, you are going to be taking care of two old dogs at the same time.

So, if it was me and I needed a second to go with a puppy, I'd try to find a dog that was 5-6 years old.

Comment

It never ends, got my labs each a kitten and now the kittens want prairie dogs...my wife didn’t think the prairie dog thing was funny.

But seriously, after our labs died, that left us with one cat. He was depressed. We did get him a kitten and it was the best thing we did.

Comment

Two puppies at the same time can be bad. 2 pups can destroy lots of stuff as they try to outdo each other. Let one get a year or two old, then get it a buddy.

Comment

Is this like a babymoon?😳

Comment

It's not necessarily the breed when it comes to other dogs. If you have two male Dobermans that never squabble it's because neither are anywhere near being an alpha of a pack. Alpha males will assert their dominance.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X