No announcement yet.

Garner State Park Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go for it. This is the first time in 27 years that we didn’t go to Garner. The low water kept us away. It’s my favorite place to go.
    If going in the summer, book 11 months in advance. Even then it’s hard to get in. From the end of May til late August, it is busy and full. We try to go early or late.
    The park is large. Plenty of hiking trails. When the water is running 100 to 200 FPS, the floating is great. Most of the water is fairly shallow. We like new garner... Live oak or rio frio camping areas.
    Uvalde is 30 minutes away, Leakey is 15. Bring what you need and them some.
    If you have any questions. Pm me.

Comment

Oh yeah garner love that place. Proposed to my fiancée at the peak of old baldy. Really only went up there to look for axis though just don’t tell her that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you have a camper, stay right across the river at Nana’s RV. Small but great location. Call to make reservations jan1st

Comment

How are the trails? Are they open enough for a 6 year old to be able to keep up with us? Old Baldy looks awesome. I want to take the kids up it.

Comment

Originally posted by FULL DRAW View Post
            How are the trails? Are they open enough for a 6 year old to be able to keep up with us? Old Baldy looks awesome. I want to take the kids up it.
            Yes he will be just fine. Lots of well marked and established trails. Definatly hike old baldy. I have never been in fall/ winter but I hear it is amazing because it is not over crowded like in the summer. Take some light weight fishing gear with tiny little perch hooks and some worms your kiddo will catch tons of little perch and some bass too.

I agree with others that say to raise the price. I would quadruple it! We have quit camping at all the state parks in the summer because you can't ever get in unless you make reservations a year in advance and then your fighting all the trash.

Comment

Originally posted by AD88 View Post
              If you have a camper, stay right across the river at Nana’s RV. Small but great location. Call to make reservations jan1st

This is next door to Parkview Riverside RV. I stay there instead of Garner SP. Parkview only allows RV campers which I think helps with keeping the riff-raff out. I have a popup camper. The owners are great. The bathrooms are air conditioned with private shower stalls. Great park store. The sites are wide so your not stacked up on top of each other. Not much more expensive than the state park and so much nicer.

Comment

Yes great place and people. Do a lot kayaking From Magers down to Neals.
                Cool place to hang out down on the island and warn people when the park police are sneaking around in the bushes trying to catch them drinking on the rock beach!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AD88 View Post
                  Yes great place and people. Do a lot kayaking From Magers down to Neals.
                  Cool place to hang out down on the island and warn people when the park police are sneaking around in the bushes trying to catch them drinking on the rock beach!!!

BTW right now that kayak ride would be pretty darn fast the river is going good.

Check out this webcam.

At HCTC, we're proud to be a part of the communities that make up the beautiful Texas Hill Country.

Comment

Its a nice place. Plenty of trails to hike. Old Baldy and Crystal Cave are the first trails I would go to. Bring a flashlight to Crystal Cave.
                    You might have to help a 6 yr old on some of the parts that you have to climb onto and there are some loose rocks.

Comment

Lots of info about camping and park condition here, but what about exotics? Is the e-postcard draw hunt worth the trip?

Comment

Went there once, probably just had a bad spot but felt like we were camping in a Walmart parking lot. Basketball court right behind us and cars and tents lined up way too close, people everywhere.

Comment

You dug up a old thread. My cousin runs a a few hog traps not far the park in Leakey on a private camp ground. There are hogs in the area and there are some trophy Axis in Garner State park also.
                          Here is a link for success rates in archery and gun hunts. I think it is worth the$3 application fee.

Comment

Garner State Park would be my favorite campground if about 70% of the people were not there everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by Airboatpete View Post
                              Lots of info about camping and park condition here, but what about exotics? Is the e-postcard draw hunt worth the trip?

There are some threads regarding the hunts there. Ive hunted it and have something like 16 points for exotic. After what Ive read, trying stand bys and people I know that have hunted it in the last few years. Ive quit applying for it

I hunted it in 2007 and it was a great hunt. The folks that ran it last year were lost as a fart in a whirlwind

Comment

Working...
                              X