Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-14-2018, 07:07 PM   #1
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton
Default Home security camera system, exterior

Anyone have recommendations for an exterior home security camera system? DIY preferred, but open to pro installed.
Something with recording capabilities and over-phone viewing as well.
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 07:13 PM   #2
T-square
Six Point

Hunt In: Gillespie and Haskell Counties

Arlo Pro works well for me. Itís wireless and easy to install. I only run 3 cameras. If you were running several more it might feel like youíre changing batteries all the time.
T-square is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
Tcooper93
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford County

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-square View Post
Arlo Pro works well for me. Itís wireless and easy to install. I only run 3 cameras. If you were running several more it might feel like youíre changing batteries all the time.
Agree...just installed Arlo at my house as well. They have a 7-day cloud service with the purchase. The phone app is very easy to use (even for the wife!).
Tcooper93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #4
Larryf250
Ten Point

Hunt In: Illinois / Goliad

I have the ring cameras, not the doorbell. Run 2 cameras that have rechargeable batteries. They last roughly a month. Easy install and app is easy too.
Larryf250 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
hunter1313
Four Point

Hunt In: Red River Countty

I have been looking for some outdoor cameras. A guy I work with is using Blink and he said they are easy to use. I have looked at them but can't make up my mind. In for some suggestions.
hunter1313 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #6
bwssr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison county

Ring...with solar panels....mine up load to cloud and if there is an issue...we can send the video to the Leo's. I get alerts and my wife too.great night vision as well
bwssr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 07:51 PM   #7
froghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Swan has done well for me. motion activated and infrared. Takes great video in daytime and night time. I had someone showing up acting a fool, snooping around, taking photos, digging through my trash along with a few other things. It stores all the video and hooks up to your phone. It did a great job.

One thing I will say that helps is to position your cameras so that they overlap each other. That way a camera can’t be tampered with, without another camera filming it.
froghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County

We use ADT at our stores and I am having them install one at the house including 2 exterior cameras accessible by phone. The ones at our stores have worked great with no issues over the years.
brushtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #9
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushtrooper View Post
We use ADT at our stores and I am having them install one at the house including 2 exterior cameras accessible by phone. The ones at our stores have worked great with no issues over the years.
Is there a monthly fee with the home cameras? Is the camera part of a larger security package?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #10
Tbar
Ten Point

Quote:
Do you have a link to what they installed?
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #11
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

ADT is expensive.

I have Ring cameras and am not impressed..............
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #12
Dejashoot
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Brackettville and Brazoria

I use blink at several houses. Battery only. No wires. Cloud recording, access from cell. Alerts to mobile. Work really well.
Dejashoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #13
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute Killer View Post
Is there a monthly fee with the home cameras? Is the camera part of a larger security package?
In the house they are installing a camera in the front that will capture the front door area and approach. The rear will capture the garage door, back storage building the back gate and approach area. I live on a corner and the driveway archs at a 90 degree so it is possible for the camera the catch all that in my case. I also have 2 motion detectors in the house along with 3 entry door sensors and a sensor on the garage door.The equipment and installation is 700.00 and monthly fee 64.99. I do not have a link, I am still waiting for them to install on the home system. The cameras are outdoor camera's and a major chunk of the cost. The ones we have at our stores are all indoor camera's and we have had those several years.
Its not cheap like some of the DIY systems but so far its buy once cry once for us.
brushtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #14
friscopaint
Ten Point

I'm guessing all those that link to cloud or cell phones need internet, correct ?? Where my barn is and I want cameras doesn't have internet capability
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #15
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Quote:
In the house they are installing a camera in the front that will capture the front door area and approach. The rear will capture the garage door, back storage building the back gate and approach area. I live on a corner and the driveway archs at a 90 degree so it is possible for the camera the catch all that in my case. I also have 2 motion detectors in the house along with 3 entry door sensors and a sensor on the garage door.The equipment and installation is 700.00 and monthly fee 64.99. I do not have a link, I am still waiting for them to install on the home system. The cameras are outdoor camera's and a major chunk of the cost. The ones we have at our stores are all indoor camera's and we have had those several years.
Its not cheap like some of the DIY systems but so far its buy once cry once for us.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #16
Buck Shot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Freestone County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcooper93 View Post
Agree...just installed Arlo at my house as well. They have a 7-day cloud service with the purchase. The phone app is very easy to use (even for the wife!).
Same here. Just got ours. We love it
Buck Shot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #17
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Bling
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #18
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejashoot View Post
I use blink at several houses. Battery only. No wires. Cloud recording, access from cell. Alerts to mobile. Work really well.
I have the Blink 5 camera system. Extremely easy to set up. Great system.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #19
kingranch
Ten Point

Love my zmodo
I've had it with DVR for about 6 months now and it's free with app..1tb it stores like 2 months before it rewrites
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 01:35 AM   #20
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
Bling
I don't want to attract the criminals and then get them on camera. I just want to get them on camera in case they happen to show up. Haha.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:00 AM   #21
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute Killer View Post
One of my best friends has the Ring (2 cameras) and another popular brand (like Arlo but I really donít remember).

He said they both were about the same in function and setup but the Ring was (if I remember correctly) $3 a month and the other was $10 or maybe $10 per camera. That was for the functions he wanted like live feed to app or recording.

I think that he said you could record locally for free but didnít have the wireless recording to the cloud, accessible by phone, etc., unless you paid a monthly fee. That was something that he hadnít thought of when making purchases was the monthly expense. For the two that he tried, he liked Ring all the way. Basically equal quality at a lower monthly fee.

I have tried the none of them so have no clue what is a good setup but I have looked recently and studied a lot more on monthly fees.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 07:02 AM   #22
TxKronik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb and Comal County

My Qsee cameras where 300$ from Costco came with 6 cameras and can take 2 more. I have had them up for 4 years and they work great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
TxKronik is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #23
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by froghunter View Post
Swan has done well for me. motion activated and infrared. Takes great video in daytime and night time. I had someone showing up acting a fool, snooping around, taking photos, digging through my trash along with a few other things. It stores all the video and hooks up to your phone. It did a great job.

One thing I will say that helps is to position your cameras so that they overlap each other. That way a camera canít be tampered with, without another camera filming it.
This is what I have. I have a 4 camera system that I installed myself. Wireless in the sense that they send the signal to the DVR wirelessly but still need a wired power source. Mine are on two story roofs so I wasn't interested in changing batteries . I can watch the cameras from my computer or phone. I have it set to record 30 days worth of stuff. No monthly fees. Buy the equipment and you're done. I still have a 4 camera set that in NIB, but they are wired so the cameras need to be wired into the DVR. If interested I'll make you a good deal on it.
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #24
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

We have the YI indoor and like it pretty well. No cloud service for us, records to a drive in the camera. You can see and record live view. Cloud service is $60 a year if you want that. All you need is a power source. Pretty inexpensive. The camera was like $35.00 on Amazon.
yaqui is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #25
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.

We have cameras and hard drives at all of our models. No problems and I can see my sales offices at anytime of the day on any device.

Where are you looking to install? I'll recommend my contractor if you're near.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #26
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

This is what I have https://www.alibisecurity.com/lp/alibi-mobile-app
So far so good.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #27
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Another vote for the Blink system here.

All you need is good WiFi and 30-45 mins and you can have 4-5 cameras up and running
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #28
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by froghunter View Post

One thing I will say that helps is to position your cameras so that they overlap each other. That way a camera canít be tampered with, without another camera filming it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rladner View Post
This is what I have. I have a 4 camera system that I installed myself. Wireless in the sense that they send the signal to the DVR wirelessly but still need a wired power source. Mine are on two story roofs so I wasn't interested in changing batteries . I can watch the cameras from my computer or phone. I have it set to record 30 days worth of stuff. No monthly fees. Buy the equipment and you're done. I still have a 4 camera set that in NIB, but they are wired so the cameras need to be wired into the DVR. If interested I'll make you a good deal on it.
What is the night time range on those cameras in IR mode? Is it say 30 feet? Less or more?
Old 08-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #29
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

same as day as far as I can tell. At night I can see the same things as I can during the day.
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #30
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Q-See works great for us.
A buddy of mine who researches everything to the gnat's *** decided on them so I decided to piggy back on his research.

Advice: get more cameras rather than less... or at least a unit that can handle more. If your experience is like mine as soon as you get them installed your wife will by intuition start asking to see the areas that are not covered.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top