Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three Year Quest is Over

Three year story on this one is over.

I noticed this buck in 2019 as a wider than normal buck, guessed at 3 or 4 years old. Last year I hunted him hard. Tons of trail cam pics, but only saw him close once and he never gave me a shot. About December 1 last year, he broke off half of his rack. Done.

Here he is 2020

Click image for larger version

Name:	wide 2020.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	25263508

He was a regular this year as soon as I started running cameras. It was fun to see him keep putting on inches!

Name:	Wide Velvet.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	25263509

And then he rubbed off and mass went back to normal hill country (LOL).

Name:	Wide BW.jpg
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	25263510

He didn’t show opening morning. That evening, I had about 12 does/bucks at the feeder, but not him. I was busy texting another green screen knucklehead. When I looked up, WOW, there he was. 16 yards, broadside and not a care in the world. For those around here back in the day, you’d agree I was almost always ICE on my shots. When I decided to draw, my confidence would say “it’s over”.

This one was different. I was rattled in a way I remember as a kid. Not just a little heard beat – I was a wreck. I got drawn without detection and really don’t remember anything. No shot routine, no reminders. I just saw a tiny green pin floating around inside a close, giant kill zone. Next thing I know, he was running off with my arrow high in the shoulder. Urrrg! Between him being that close and him ducking, I never had a chance.

Name:	Wide shot2.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	25263511

After reviewing the video, I knew I was in trouble. I shared with a local dog tracking legend and he assured me the buck will live. The next day, I had trail cameras on different properties around here – wherever I could get permission.

Well, today ended the story. A neighbor let me know the buck was dead. He saw him last week with a bit of a limp, but otherwise ok. Then this past Friday saw him going back and forth at a fence and his rear leg was mangled. He was there dead along that fence this morning. I can only assume the hurt front end caused a missed fence jump and he got caught up.

Not at all the way I’d want to “Paul Harvey” the story. I would have preferred another fair shot at him, by me or Nathan. The solace is no longer wondering – and a pretty nice euro. I’ll put the tape to him once he’s cleaned up. Teeth show either 5 or 6 on the age.

Name:	Wide dead.jpg
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	25263512

Glad you found him…great buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s nice buck. Glad you was able to find him, sorry he went out like that.

Comment

Glad u got him. Understand how you feel.

Comment

Maybe not the outcome you were hoping for but you do have him as a reminder of all the hopes and dreams.

Comment

The outcome may be a bit less than you were hoping but hey you got em! Nice buck!

Comment

Definitely not the way the story is supposed to end, but at least you have a really nice euro mount !! That’s a tough one man …

Comment

Glad you found him regardless of the cause of death

Comment

Great deer! Way to stick with him!

Comment

That sux, but it happens to all of us sooner or later.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Congrats bud!

Comment

Congrats on it all working out!

Comment

Glad you got him inspite of the circumstances, Trey!

Comment

He will look good on a nice piece of mesquite

Congratulations on finding him

Comment

Congrats, I love it when a plan comes together. Nicely done.

Comment

Working...
                              X