Scouting service? As business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scouting service? As business

I really enjoy deer scouting. So much that each year I log hundreds of miles on public land for areas that we are drawn for. In the past I have had great success in finding really good animals, but my capitalization skills aren't there yet. Most of the enjoyment comes from sharing my knowledge, photos, and helping others get on quality deer.

I see people in Colorado that will scout for you. Do you think that business model could work in Texas on draw hunts?

Mmm Probably not....

Comment

I don’t think so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not much market for such a service IMO.

Most WMAs have limited or no access prior to the hunt. Then most if not all are by random draw for compartment or blind. Some of these WMAs are really big so no way of knowing where you'll be hunting.

Most park hunts are the same with a leaning towards assigned blinds.

You could use historical kill data which doesn't often drill down to individual compartments other that what slips out on forums like this. Add e-scouting with Google earth and perhaps On-X maps to offer people a batting order on which compartment to select and how to hunt it. Starting with the bigger more popular trophy WMAs you may get a little traction but not likely.

This is how I approach my hunts when drawn regarding word of mouth for popular compartments and Google earth.

Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

How do people scout for you in CO?
          What exactly do they do?

Comment

This is one business I found
            AntlerQuest provides a scouting service for do-it-yourself hunters looking to greatly enhance their chances for success in Colorado by pre-scouting the area in advance of the hunt and providing you with detailed information about your specific hunting area and how to find and hunt the animals.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Please don’t. Hunting has already gone so far down the “pay to play” that it’s gotten ridiculous. Public land pressure makes it almost not worth messing with in many areas. Last thing we need is year round pressure from scouting constantly and a guy thinking everyone else is after “his deer” because he paid $2k for someone to locate it.

Sorry, I just think we have a very good chance of solid hunting opportunities being all but ruined by people trying to make money off it. The Go Hunt stuff and “Instagram influencers” are a large part of the problem out west also.

All of a sudden it’s “cool” just like duck hunting got to be with hundreds of mud boats just chasing ducks back and forth on every inch of water.

If you want to do it for income, make some sort of subscription based website like Cory Jacobsen’s Elk 101. Charge people for your knowledge and let them learn and do for themselves.

Comment

No.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                  This is one business I found
                  AntlerQuest provides a scouting service for do-it-yourself hunters looking to greatly enhance their chances for success in Colorado by pre-scouting the area in advance of the hunt and providing you with detailed information about your specific hunting area and how to find and hunt the animals.

Snake oil imo.

Comment

I would not want someone else to do my scouting for MY hunt. Scouting is part of the fun, even though its very limited on public land.
                    If there are people out there who want someone to scout for them, who are just lazy or have a lot of money to blow, then they should find a hobby they enjoy instead.
                    There might be the rare occasion where a scouting service would be required ( the hunter is handicapped, family emergency, etc.). Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture but to me, its a big part of a hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                      I would not want someone else to do my scouting for MY hunt. Scouting is part of the fun, even though its very limited on public land.
                      I completely understand. Finding and learning about the deer is the fun part. Mapping trails, cataloging pictures, times, data, data, data. Guess Im a nerd.

Comment

Nope, not a chance that works in Tx.

Comment

Check out the guy that runs Monster Muleys, he make bank scouting for folks in Wyoming. State passed a law because if his business, now it is illegal to sell animal locations.
                          Frankly I agree with many on here, why pay someone else to find you a deer if you're not guided?
                          It is pretty popular out west I guess because of the cost of licenses for non residents, for most that cost makes it imperative to bring home an animal.

Comment

For an extra fee I'll not only scout it.....I'll shoot it for ya too. Then you can post pics on book-of-faces and be an internet-hunting-sensation for all your FB friends.

Never leave mom's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
                              For an extra fee I'll not only scout it.....I'll shoot it for ya too. Then you can post pics on book-of-faces and be an internet-hunting-sensation for all your FB friends.

Never leave mom's basement.
                              Yep, before long we'll have 3 kinds of people,
                              The free-range trophy guys
                              The highfence trophy guys
                              & The moms basement trophy guys.
                              The bashing and thrashing that will ensue will be epic

Comment

Working...
                              X