It's been a rough week - lost a couple good guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been a rough week - lost a couple good guys

Between Thursday and Monday, I lost 2 friends who were a big impact in my life.

My godfather died Thursday of complications from an aggressive resurgence of cancer. He'd been in chemo, and it was going well, then suddenly things went south. Quick. Johnny was basically an uncle - my dad's best friend. He was a hunting and fishing buddy. One of my first jobs as a kid was working in his garden - building beds, pulling weeds, and tilling earth. Even at 68 years old, he was amazed by the natural world, and would stop to point out some oddity or miracle of life when we were outside. This deer season isn't going to be the same without him at the campfire.

I got a call on Monday that another friend had passed suddenly. I met Roger over 20 years ago on an off-roading/camping trip, and we became fast friends. Even though he was my dad's age, his sense of adventure, love of the outdoors, and kind nature made him instantly "one of the crew." We traveled together to all sorts of places and explored the back country in our 4x4s. Over the years we didn't see each other as often, but we kept in touch. Being retired, he was able to travel pretty often, and I always knew there was an open invite to come along. Unfortunately, I did not take those opportunities as often as I should have. He will be missed.

Get out there and LIVE, folks! There's no guarantees in this life. Hug your family and friends. Make time for those you care about. Take a step outside and see this amazing world we live in. Cheers to those no longer with us.

Hang in there man that’s a lot of loss to you. Prayers up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Prayers Up.

Comment

Prayers up Bud !

Comment

Sounds like a rough one under anybody’s standards, keep your head , one foot in front of the other . Talk to someone if you need to your not alone

Comment

Prayers sent.

Comment

Rough situation for you and I am sorry you have to through it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

so sorry for your losses...prayers sent

Comment

Sorry for the loss!!!!

Comment

Sorry for your losses. Prayers up for you and families

Comment

Prayers for you brother.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Stay strong. Maybe we can have a beer or three at Moon Dog or the Irish Pub. Take care.

Jack

Comment

Pretty sure I knew the same Roger. Retired crop duster and one of my heroes. I know I’ll see him again!

Comment

I appreciate all the kind words, y'all. This hit me hard, but I'm more inspired by these guys than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                              Stay strong. Maybe we can have a beer or three at Moon Dog or the Irish Pub. Take care.
                              Sounds great! Name the time!

Originally posted by ACbob View Post
                              Pretty sure I knew the same Roger. Retired crop duster and one of my heroes. I know I’ll see him again!
                              The Roger I'm referring to was a retired Marine and software developer out of the Waco area. It wouldn't surprise me if he had tried crop dusting, though.

Either way, sorry for your loss, and all the best!

Comment

Working...
                              X