Leasing a Place With Wind Turbines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leasing a Place With Wind Turbines

Place we are leasing is getting a wind farm. Other than the inconvenience of construction and loss of cover I wanted to see what other impacts it will have on the hunting. Based on the current plans we will only need to move one or two of our blind setups. We are hearing that once construction is complete we should be good to go with no impact on deer and turkey. Anyone been through this?

Long term no issue. During the construction is another story.

Comment

Deer love the green stuff that sprouts up after they hydro mulch the area under the turbines. They will be all over it in a few days. The whooshing noise of the blades don't seem to bother them at all and helps mask any noise you make.

Comment

We have them on our property. Never had to put up with construction, but know enough about it that if that is going on during hunting season, it's no bueno! LOTS of traffic, noise and they dig a BIG hole in the ground and pour LOTS of concrete... Plus they build first class roads to each and every one PLUS they put in underground electrical lines between the turbines usually along the roads that are built to each of them... They won't be putting up just one... The ones on our place are in a chain of 5 and a chain of 4. Ours were already there so no big deal... From an elevated stand where we hunt, you can see literally hundreds of them. The deer don't pay them a bit of attention and will eat right under one as it's whooshing away. Other than the ugliness of them sticking up in the landscape, there's been no downside to hunting around them...

One benefit no one has mentioned is that you can always tell exactly which way the wind is blowing just with a quick glance at the windmills... They always face into the wind, even when they are feathered so they do not rotate. Pretty cool to see them switch directions as a front is moving in...

Comment

I would think it’s similar to having a new pipeline come through, a PIA till construction is over, shouldn’t be a big deal,

Comment

Same experience as stated above.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

We have them. It’s been a year since construction and the deer haven’t seemed to come back to where they were out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                We have them on our property. Never had to put up with construction, but know enough about it that if that is going on during hunting season, it's no bueno! LOTS of traffic, noise and they dig a BIG hole in the ground and pour LOTS of concrete... Plus they build first class roads to each and every one PLUS they put in underground electrical lines between the turbines usually along the roads that are built to each of them... They won't be putting up just one... The ones on our place are in a chain of 5 and a chain of 4. Ours were already there so no big deal... From an elevated stand where we hunt, you can see literally hundreds of them. The deer don't pay them a bit of attention and will eat right under one as it's whooshing away. Other than the ugliness of them sticking up in the landscape, there's been no downside to hunting around them...

One benefit no one has mentioned is that you can always tell exactly which way the wind is blowing just with a quick glance at the windmills... They always face into the wind, even when they are feathered so they do not rotate. Pretty cool to see them switch directions as a front is moving in...

We got lucky as they built them during the offseason. Back then we didn't have year round access. They also build the big power line that off season.

Comment

No difference once their up. Surprised they’re keeping hunters on. They usually get the boot till after construction is done. Lost a good place in Woodsboro cause of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                    No difference once their up. Surprised they’re keeping hunters on. They usually get the boot till after construction is done. Lost a good place in Woodsboro cause of them.
                    Not sure if it's true or not. But, I heard of a place outside of Woodsboro where the hunters were told that if one single bullet hole was found in any blade that the entire group would be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by aironeout View Post
                      Not sure if it's true or not. But, I heard of a place outside of Woodsboro where the hunters were told that if one single bullet hole was found in any blade that the entire group would be removed.
                      They must have some REALLY tall deer over there

OP, no problem once they are up. I have shot deer standing directly under a turbine.

Comment

Don’t know about all that we got the boot before construction began. It was a couple leases on this particular ranch that were terminated.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                          They must have some REALLY tall deer over there

OP, no problem once they are up. I have shot deer standing directly under a turbine.
                          Yep, I have shot a lot of deer for MLD thinning under a turbine. And seen a bunch of big ones that didn't care a bit about them.

Comment

Doesn’t surprise me, the cost of getting a crew out there to repair a blade is costly. Plus the tower being down Kees money out the land owners hands. It’s not necessarily the wind farm rules.

Comment

Works for me. I bowhunt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X