TPWD Alligator gar Trinity River tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD Alligator gar Trinity River tag

Well, according to the email I got from TPWD yesterday, looks like I won the drawing for the Upper Trinity river alligator gar harvest tag!
    I’ve rod and reel fished for gar for a couple years so I have the just of it. I’ve also bow fished for a long time with friends but never in the Trinity.
    So, I need some advice on how may be able to help me catch a monster gar in the Trinity River!

PM GarGuy

Comment

tags for gar?? those things are all over where i am in south louisiana. nuisances. strange law.

Comment

use one of the dead bodies floating in the river as bait.

Comment

Originally posted by joey1656 View Post
          tags for gar?? those things are all over where i am in south louisiana. nuisances. strange law.
          The big ones are dwindling would be my guess. Not gar in general.

Comment

GarGuy is king of the upper Trinity if you're looking for a genuine trophy. There's none better!

Comment

Lobbied for by gar guides

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                Lobbied for by gar guides
                Specifically one guide in particular who doesn’t do Bowfishing. He greased some palms to eliminate the competition. 🙄

Comment

I just want to catch a monster. Either rod and reel or bowfishing. Doesn’t matter to me how.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                    Specifically one guide in particular who doesn’t do Bowfishing. He greased some palms to eliminate the competition. 🙄
                    Also a way for the state to make money off a non game species.

Comment

Specifically one guide in particular who doesn’t do Bowfishing. He greased some palms to eliminate the competition. [emoji849]
                      Word

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

There are plenty here in Texas as well.

Comment

They had to do something here in Texas to slow down the senseless slaughter of a very cool and ancient species.. Great eating too.

Comment

Am I wrong in assuming that targeting and killing one with a bow is better than letting a few swallow the hook on a rod and reel to find a trophy? That's why I haven't went to Target a big one. I'm worried about releasing smaller ones to swim off and die. I might be putting too much thought into it though.

Comment

Elfeyes, last year me and a buddy got a guided trip for gar with rod and reel. The guide specialized in catch and release. He uses small 1/0-4/0 hooks. Hooks the gar in the mouth so the hooks can be removed. We fought probably 15 fish that day and landed 8. All being between 4-6 footers. Had a maybe 7 footer that got off at the boat. You’d be surprised at how small a hook can be used. Sadly the guy isn’t taking guided trips anymore though or else I’d be going back with him.

Comment

Working...
                              X