want to borrow case trimmer - Pearland area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

want to borrow case trimmer - Pearland area

I'm an idiot. I've been reloading for many years and I loaded up 120 .300 win mag and didn't bother to trim the brass. Now they won't cycle in my rifle. I plan to pull them all, saving the powder and bullets but I will need to trim the primered cases. I have the Lee trimmer but obviously can't use it with the primers still installed.

Anyone in or around Pearland who might let me borrow/rent your case trimmer for a weekend to avoid buying one for a one-time use?

Thanks. PM me.

You probably need to bump the shoulder back. I can’t say I’ve ever had one fail to chamber due to length of brass.

Comment

I would that trimming your brass would probably not solve your problem.
      As said above, it sounds on the surface that they need to be full length sized.
      At any rate, you will need to pull the bullets and resize the brass and then go ahead and trim while you are at it, if needed.
      I have all the equipment but am in Wyoming, not anywhere close to you. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s probably not a trimming issue, it’s a shoulder bump issue, you need to do some measuring or bumping the shoulder back until you get a good cycle. It could possibly be a length issue but I’d all but guarantee it’s not that if the brass won’t cycle,

Absolutely nothing negative intended but if you’ve been reloading for years and don’t have a means to trim the cases or know about shoulder bump issues you definitely need to do more homework on reloading before you have a serious issue like over pressure. I’ll definitely help you any way I can if you want to pm me but you obviously need to remove the bullets and powder charges so what’s your intention on how to do that before bumping the cases?

Typically .002-.003” will get the job done but you really need to measure it before just blasting the cases but that methods doable as well if your patient.
        Last edited by Kong; 10-12-2021, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Was your brass fired in that gun? How many times was it fired?

Some dies won’t bump the shoulder at all. I recently had that happen with a custom .264 win mag that I bought. I was trying to use some brass that had been fired in another gun. No matter how far the sizing did was screwed down it wouldn’t touch the shoulder. I put the die in my lathe and took ten thousands off the bottom. It worked fine after that.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
            You probably need to bump the shoulder back. I can’t say I’ve ever had one fail to chamber due to length of brass.
            I tried that first but it didn't help. They cycled perfectly after I trimmed the ones I could.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
              Was your brass fired in that gun? How many times was it fired?

Some dies won’t bump the shoulder at all. I recently had that happen with a custom .264 win mag that I bought. I was trying to use some brass that had been fired in another gun. No matter how far the sizing did was screwed down it wouldn’t touch the shoulder. I put the die in my lathe and took ten thousands off the bottom. It worked fine after that.
              i have fired hot loads in this brass in this my only 300 WinMag more than a few times and they have been feeding progressively more difficult. Since I only really shoot the gun at the range or an aoudad I would put it away and forget about it. Anyway, I need it for elk so I went to the range. I had difficulty loading rounds and much difficulty extracting the rounds. After the 2nd shot my extractor broke which has now been repaired. Thinking I could bump the shoulder back, I continued to do that without success. The barrel is custom so no factory slop. Anyway, I had some fired brass so I resized and trimmed and it fed and ejected like butter. I loaded up 38 rounds but want to trim the remaining 100 or so primed cases without buying a $75 trimmer.

And I do have the Lee trimmers for my rifles and use them except for the last batch of .300 WinMag. IT's not that I don't know how or that I should trim my brass, I just didn't. Lesson learned.
              Last edited by Outback; 10-12-2021, 12:42 PM.

Comment

ttt

Comment

If I learned one thing in all my years of reloading, and I haven't reloaded a single cartridge in all my life. It's not to go cheap, and to do things RIGHT. No cutting corners. In all my years of reloading.

Comment

Working...
                  X