No announcement yet.

Hunting Zim Ain't for Punks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok just for Powderburner, since this is a rifle story and I'm on my break.

And back to the hunt. Last night’s briefing for the hunt was accurate, a two hour drive it was indeed. Across multiple dry river crossings, two track dirt/rock roads, through a few villages and as daylight crescents the sky, it revealed a mother and several small children picking fruit from local trees for breakfast. Through one of the last villages, a local man chased down the vehicle and hopped on with merely a nod in acknowledgement from our party. We drove through an overgrown field, through places no previous road existed and ended parked under a large tree.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n-jtfbccYE"]Rock river crossing - YouTube[/ame]

The hunting parking disembarked and before I knew it, they were off with the local man leading the way. York, myself, and my wife stayed behind. York explained we were in area the buffalo bull frequented and the local was there to show the trackers where it had last been seen. The bull would come into the fields at night and retreat up the hillside of a small koppe (we'd call them hills) in the early morning. This was where I began to experience my first of many cultural enlightenments. Seemingly people began showing up from virtually nowhere. A few were interested in us being parked beneath the tree, but most were just walking through conducting the business of the day. Ladies were walking to bore holes to retrieve water, men headed to the fields with homemade axes in tow and children just milling around as schools were closed due to Covid. Two young boys began throwing rocks in a tree approximately 200 yards from our location. I asked York why, and he noted they were knocking down the fruit to eat.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqpa8rDnWq4"]Rock throwing - YouTube[/ame]

One boy finally walked over to us but never said a word. He just stood there for minutes inquisitive into our doings. My wife produced a couple peanut butter crackers from her bag. He nodded in appreciation and slowly walked off to conduct his remaining business of the day I suppose. I noticed a duiker weaving between several patches of the remaining bush that had not been turned under for more maize fields. He seemed content to also pick his way through his breakfast offerings also. I felt odd, very odd. We were hunting yes? Yet people were everywhere. It was a concept I never fully adjusted to during the trip.

The trackers returned of news that the most recent sign was two days ago. The magic bull continued in his elusive ways. We left instructions with the locals to notify us if he returned. Another crazy twist for me, in the middle of BFE, everyone had a cell phone ��. To end this chapter, we never returned to this area, but I hear York is still in search of him as new hunters arrive.

York mentioned another problem bull in a village back toward camp and off we went but not before stopping at a particular tree. One with the reputation of bearing the sweetest fruit in the area. Everyone disembarked the truck and began filling their pockets with the tiny, apple like fruit. I tried one and agreed they were tasty.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR5VA0xA1g0"]Shake the Tree - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by buck_wild; 09-07-2021, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I don't know how to imbed video links. That is best I can do.

They are all really short snippets so don't be worried they will bog you down to watch them but I had to give Texastaxi some video cuz even pictures are hard for him to "read'". LOL
      Last edited by buck_wild; 09-07-2021, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Hooked me! This is good stuff

Comment

I thought this was an old post and I could read it all in one sitting but nooo, gotta wait for updates like everyone else.

Comment

Insert Jeopardy music here.

Comment

Really good thread..........................

Comment

I really like the way this is going.

Very well written OP. Right there with the diy moose hunt thread.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

This is fantastic!!! Thanks for sharing and keep posting!!!

Comment

I envisioned us as the Lake Karibe Omay caped crusaders, here to save the day for the villagers. In reality we fell way below hero status, but it was evident the villagers did appreciate our efforts. Upon arrival at the next stop, contact was made with the “lady of the household”. A brief exchange in Shona with our crew and she shouted across the valley to another hut. They in turn shouted to another and so on until I could hear the call across the entire valley. The “bush telegraph” I was informed and on que a man came walking up from the fields somewhere below. He had seen the second troublesome bull this morning and knew exactly where he was bedded. A plan ensued, as it always does. The local walked us right into a patch of bush and grass that was 6’ tall. Things got dicey, really quick. After 5 minutes of tense walking at a snail’s pace, York came to attention. A dark shadow under a tree right where the local said it would be. Before I could even get my feet settled under me, two bulls burst from their beds. To be honest, I never saw more than the black shadow but both York and Zvito said the better of the two still looked a little young. There was never a chance to make the decision anyway.

We spent the remainder of the day driving through other likely areas, with a few places of interest that contained fresh sign we would revisit at another time.

I skipped an interesting part of my story earlier. Due to an unforeseen factor or two, we had to drive into camp from Harare. A 9 hour drive that wasn’t too bad for the first 6 hours . As we were within 20 minutes of camp, we ran into a small herd of buffalo standing beside the road. We were able to actually stop and look them over, but the herd was split on both sides with limited visibility. At least one good bull was partially visible. York looked my way and commented, “I promise we don’t feed them hay” and “this will likely not happen again during our trip”. It actually did the last evening with 15 minutes of light but neither sighting was during our hunting window so he wasn’t lying .

The rest of the afternoon was spent trying to cut fresh tracks. A couple times Zvito, Sunny Boy and Tinashe would get off the truck, look up and down, make a little small talk in Shona then advise “last night” or “yesterday”. Despite my lack of understanding Shona, the term “dagga boy” during their conversation always perked my ears.

Although this won't be a day by day chronically of my hunt, this does in fact end Day One.

Comment

Tagged for later!!!

Comment

The morning of hunting day two had a chill in the air. I bundled up more than anticipated for the ride out to the hunting grounds. 30 minutes into the drive, and before making our intended location, we cut fresh tracks. Zvito comments, 5 dagga boys. We’ll try this group. We gear up and off into the Zim bush for my first real excursion. I’m shoulder carrying the bowling ball .416 and trying all my best to at least look like I belong. We traverse up and down, through dry washes, tangles of bush and head high grass. Once we lost the track in a spongy type of moss grass. Zvito sorts it out shortly and we are off again. After several hours, we emerge from the bush onto a flood plain of the river. Open but very sandy. Walking doesn’t get any easier. There’s a large herd of impala with one very good ram for the area. They sidestep it back into the bush as we progress forward. We sneak right on top of two hippo sleeping in a nook of the river. We are literally standing right above them with only an 8’ cliff to separate us. Spear might have been a better choice of weapon at the time although I could have hurled this bowling down on them also and been effective at this range I suppose.

Sneak up on sleeping hippos!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uZvyzama_o"]Hippo sneak - YouTube[/ame]

The track continues. The bulls have never once stopped, never bedded, never to graze upon the thick grass. Only moving forward as if they intend to be somewhere. Somewhere other than here. We stop as we enter the very thick jess again. York suggests we stop this pursuit. I nod in silent agreement. What I really wanted to say was, “**** yeah man, I’m dead tired”. I had trained best I could before my arrival. You just can’t account for the terrain, the grass grabbing at your boots each step or the small rocks that buckle your ankles. We call for Sunny Boy to meet us as at the closest pick-up location. As we turn back, Zvito motions to take the gun. I begrudgingly agree . Right out of the gate on our first stalk the day before York asked if Zvito should carry the gun. Realization of lugging this bowling ball around wasn't all that appealing to be honest, but my only verbal grunt was, "Back 'round my parts of the woods, you're not really a hunter if you don't carry your own gun." I figured we weren't hunting back to the truck anyway .

An Iphone app tracker estimates we put in 10 kilometers on these tracks. Not even a glimpse of the bulls for our effort. We check out a few flood plains after our late lunch. We see impala, baboons, bushbuck ewes and smaller rams, and waterbuck, lots of waterbuck. Nothing in the herds appeal to us for the time being.

Comment

A few pics to keep Texastaxi alert

Croc skull hanging that the camp bar

Click image for larger version

Name:	#11.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	24661642

Somewhere between Harare and camp we stopped at Saucy Suzy's Bar and Grill for biltong. I'm not a real fan of the plain but the dried snack stick stuff was righteous

Name:	#12.jpg
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	24661643

The Crew- Sunny Bov driver/tracker, Tinashe game ranger, Zvito lead tracker, Heath (b) apprentice PH , PH York, The Hunter

Name:	#13.jpg
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	24661644

Name:	#14.jpg
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	24661645

Comment

Two things cousin:
                            1) Your wife doesn't age, she remains as beautiful as the day you married her
                            2) Unlike our genetics, or me...you aren't aging as well.

Great thread...good luck!
                            Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
                              Two things cousin:
                              1) Your wife doesn't age, she remains as beautiful as the day you married her
                              2) Unlike our genetics, or me...you aren't aging as well.

Great thread...good luck!
                              Instead of worrying about how GOOD I do look !! , as an "Administrator" why don't you help me with the imbedded videos showing as a picture link

In exchange, I'll let you come look at ALL my animals some day. You might even be the second best hunter in Sweet Home .

Comment

Oh **** I totally forgot to text you back. Can’t wait for the rest!!

Comment

Working...
                                X