Progressive reloading questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive reloading questions.

I'm about to go progressive and I'm trying to sift through all the info out there. I read great things about the hornady LNL setup, but getting shell plates seems to be a problem. I've always heard that the Lee presses are cheap, but lately they're getting good reviews. I'd love to go with Dillon, but I'm under the impression that they don't accept standard dies and are very proprietary. I won't be loading ammo to sell or anything like that, but I do want to crank out range ammo for me and the family. I want to be able to get parts and accessories fairly easily (within reason considering the climate of ammo situation). So which is the best progressive press out there?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Dillon will accept standard dies and probably the best option for progressive.

Comment

I’ve got a Dillon 550 and I’ve got setups with Dillon, RCBS and Hornady dies. It is a great press for both pistol and rifle ammo. I highly recommend any of the Dillon progressives.

Comment

I've never used a Dillion so I can't say. I have used both Lee and Hornady. They Hornady is hands down a better press. The Lee works but has a tendency to jam or other problems and the Hornady is much smoother.

Comment

Well, that goes to show you have to be careful what you believe. I've always been told that dillon presses had to use dillon dies. That changes a lot of things for me to research. Thanks, guys. Any more insights are appreciated.

Comment

As far as dies go the Dillon Square Deal B does use proprietary dies. Great if you want a dedicated progressive for 1 or 2 calibers. If you want flexibility look at the Dillon 550. Current model is the 550C but the tried and true 550B is out there and in abundance. It is a great press. Takes regular dies.

What you have been told applies only to the SDB but not the other Dillon presses.

Using various set ups for the 550 you can range from bulk loading to more precise loads using a separate powder measure for better consistency. I currently am using 2 Dillon 650s but I'm rehabbing a 550 now that will soon be available for sale.
            Last edited by Billy Bad Bass; 08-28-2021, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Ive owned and/or used about every type of press. Lees work once they are tuned in and adjusted a bit, but if you ever get hands on a lee vs anything else, you will notice the lack of rigidity and lightweight. I have used them quite a bit, and my recommendation is if you are going to get a Lee, it is best to set it for one load and leave it alone. Ive never used the hornaday progressive, but im sure its a good press. The RCBS progressive did not impress me. I will still almost always recommend Dillon. Some of their stuff costs just a little more, but what you are paying for beyond a quality press, is convenience/ease/speed of caliber changes and probably the best customer service in the industry.

Comment

Dillon. I'm using what is probably a 30 year old 550 and it works great. Using the quick change tool heads it takes about 5 minutes to change calibers. Good solid press and easy to use.

Comment

Dillon is only way to go.

650 are great as well. There 550 is probably the simplest and most versatile.

I use lee pistol dies and i will say its hard to get enough adjustement on the crimp die sometimes. Other than that i have no complaints what so ever out of anything i have dillon.

I will say i would go ahead and spend the money on a 550 vs the SQDB.

SQDB is great for low volume pistol rounds. Once you set them up just leave them and go but thats about it IMO.

Comment

550B and don’t look back! Strong, Smooth, easy to setup and plenty of aftermarket accessories! Don’t forget the low powder sensor.

Comment

Dillon 550. I have two of them. Wore one out, took about 20 years, they replaced it, no questions asked.

Comment

boils down to the price per round over time .. i have 2 lee's. like anything else , if you set them up right, it performs.. would i like a dillon, sure... but mine makes ammo just fine.

i also have a couple of lee classic turret press ... you can take the plunger out and just use it as a single stage press , with added benefit you can buy the 4 hole turrets and just leave your dies on them, so once you have them set , you never have to touch them again ..

had one for years and bought a second from a guy here on TBH to keep one at the ranch to do load developments ... in a pinch , you can turn it into a progressive too... even though they are not optimal for that ..

but they do reload good consistent ammo...

lee sets you up for hundreds ... Dillon sets you up for thousands .. it's all the accessories that add up ...

Comment

Dillon

Comment

No question Dillon is the flagship of reloaders. On the other hand I have a Hornady LNL AP that has pumped out over 100k rounds of all sorts of calibers in the last 20 years and still as good as new. When I got mine they were less than $300 and included one shell plate holder. They all have their niche when budget is a factor. Once set up and powder thrower adjusted I can easily do 200 rounds per hour of small rifle and right at 300 rph of pistol ammo with the LNL. Plenty good enough for me.

Comment

Knocked out 250 of 45 ACP with Berry's plated plinking ammo the other morning wit the LNL in about 1 hour. So easy and fun. An auto case feeder would be nice but not a must as I don't reload that much anymore.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X