No announcement yet.

2021 Hurricane Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Praying for you guys. Our church is already organizing a Louisiana clean up crew to head that way as soon as Ida is gone.

Comment

Louisiana geography and Hurricane education 101.

Grand Isle is a barrier island that is 8 miles long x 1 mile wide, home to 1400 permanent residents. It’s connected to the mainland of Jefferson Parish by the Caminada Pass bridge. The bridge was structurally damaged by Katrina and was rebuilt. If the bridge is gone, you can’t get to the island.with gulf buoy reports of 155mph winds and 40 ft seas, things don’t look good for Grand Isle

Types of camps on GI… from 50 yr old shacks to 1/2 million dollar weekend getaways

Grand Isle is very similar to Holly Beach that got obliterated by Hurricane Rita in 2005. Pics below of damage from Rita to HB as I expect the same type images to come from GI . Sad but true , prayers sent up for all in harms way. I’m experiencing wind gusts from 5-15 mph., expect lots of rain, possible flooding, and 30-60 mph winds later this evening in Lafayette.

Comment

ugh.................

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
          Louisiana geography and Hurricane education 101.

Grand Isle is a barrier island that is 8 miles long x 1 mile wide, home to 1400 permanent residents. It’s connected to the mainland of Jefferson Parish by the Caminada Pass bridge. The bridge was structurally damaged by Katrina and was rebuilt. If the bridge is gone, you can’t get to the island.with gulf buoy reports of 155mph winds and 40 ft seas, things don’t look good for Grand Isle

Grand Isle is very similar to Holly Beach that got obliterated by Hurricane Rita in 2005. Pics below of damage from Rita to HB as I expect the same type images to come from GI . Sad but true , prayers sent up for all in harms way. I’m experiencing wind gusts from 5-15 mph., expect lots of rain, possible flooding, and 30-60 mph winds later this evening in Lafayette.

IMG]

I can’t for the life of me understand why someone would stay on that island with this storm coming at them. I’ve been looking at the area on google earth and it’s similar to bolivar peninsula that was destroyed during Ike. The whole island had to basically be part of the gulf as the storm made landfall.

Comment

some before and now pics..https://twitter.com/StBGov/status/1432049245637521415

Comment

Saw this and had to share....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jet Black View Post
                ****. Mars is a TLP. If it broke free it would most likely have flipped over too.

Hard to believe people would be left on board any of these facilities to ride it out. We shut everything down and completely evacuate.
                Right, I think it was Typhoon that flipped 15 years ago or so. One of the TLP lost a tension let and she rolled over. Crazy bad storm.

Just saw the post at the top of this page, that’s not a TLP, bad deal right there for an asset that big to break loose. Wow, the upward force the waves produce when crashing into these assets is incredible. Hopefully they completely down manned.
                Last edited by JES; 08-29-2021, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
                  I can’t for the life of me understand why someone would stay on that island with this storm coming at them. I’ve been looking at the area on google earth and it’s similar to bolivar peninsula that was destroyed during Ike. The whole island had to basically be part of the gulf as the storm made landfall.
                  I can’t believe the police department is facing the gulf and can’t believe they parked all the emergency equipment In the parking lot,

Comment

One of my friends gave a report of people looking toward the cabins @Bridgeside where he used to stay in Grand Isle. Its just pilings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                      Can’t say but we’re right by the Olympus and Mars TLPs.
                      Checking in on ya Muddy....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                        I can’t believe the police department is facing the gulf and can’t believe they parked all the emergency equipment In the parking lot,
                        Hindsight is 20/20 … not sure what other options were considered since the PD is located on an island. If the emergency response vehicles were parked over the bridge several miles away on the mainland, they would have still flooded with 15-20 feet of tidal surge. If the bridge was lost, damaged or rendered unpassable from the Hurricane, there’s no way the PD or fire department could use their vehicles to respond for emergencies & gas fires when needed

Regardless of their decision, it was a lose / lose situation. Maybe in the future Jefferson Parish will have to build a 2 or 3 story parking garage to prevent vehicles and offices from being flooded.

This rebuild design should be considered in the future for the GI PD. Hurricane Rita (2005) destroyed and leveled everything in Cameron Parish. The Parish School Board office was rebuilt , elevated 12 ft off the ground and to withstand hurricanes. It fared well during recent Hurricanes Laura & Delta (2020).

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                          Hindsight is 20/20 … not sure what other options were considered since the PD is located on an island. If the emergency response vehicles were parked over the bridge several miles away on the mainland, they would have still flooded with 15-20 feet of tidal surge. If the bridge was lost, damaged or rendered unpassable from the Hurricane, there’s no way the PD or fire department could use their vehicles to respond for emergencies & gas fires when needed

Regardless of their decision, it was a lose / lose situation. Maybe in the future Jefferson Parish will have to build a 2 or 3 story parking garage to prevent vehicles and offices from being flooded.

This rebuild design should be considered in the future for the GI PD. Hurricane Rita (2005) destroyed and leveled everything in Cameron Parish. The Parish School Board office was rebuilt , elevated 12 ft off the ground and to withstand hurricanes. It fared well during recent Hurricanes Laura & Delta (2020).
                          Yeah not sure if I wanted to be critical, I thought grand isle had a 2-3 story parking garage?

Comment

2021 Hurricane Season

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife
                            He is on Noble Globetrotter II. Our ROV guys reported similar wind speed and waves. Keep praying for everyone on the vessel. I was on there first week of August.

I heard this rig had some damage to the crane and some other stuff. This is all hearsay, but hope he and others out on the rigs are doing well.

What rig was you one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                              Yeah not sure if I wanted to be critical, I thought grand isle had a 2-3 story parking garage?
                              No offense brother —- one positive thing about Hurricanes and other natural disasters … scientists, architects, and engineers can learn from the damage created and what structures survived. Simulators and classroom computers can only predict so much. Real world experiences are what teach us the most about catastrophic weather conditions.

Post Katrina, parts of New Orleans and surrounding communities were w/out power for 45+ days. Electricity once routed by above ground power lines and utility poles, were buried underground. IF loss of electricity is minimal in NOLA during Ida, then that decision to re-route old school utilities will have worked.

Comment

Eye is currently going over Lockport, Matthews, and Raceland - current wind gusts @ 130mph winds. Hurricane is moving N-NE

Comment

Working...
                                X