Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 03-03-2021, 08:40 PM   #251
kkp005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
that exact scope is about to mounted on my rifle and I will be using it as my own personal scope. It's had no updates and no changes made to it at all and I'm 100% confident in it..
Jason, you donít want that junky Iray. Iíll trade you even for my XG50....it even comes with a cool custom outdoor legacy adm qd
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 08:55 PM   #252
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
Ok, this rig gets points for just looking cool. What is the suppressor on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
SilencerCo Sparrow. That thing started it all for me lol it was my very first can in 2010.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 08:56 PM   #253
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
Ok, this rig gets points for just looking cool. What is the suppressor on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
SilencerCo Sparrow. That thing started it all for me lol it was my very first can in 2010. Itís still actually really competitive today, which is saying something as far as technology has come in the last 10+ years.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #254
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Loco, Quail, Lutie, Needwood.

Made a test run last night with the Hogster 35R mounted up in a remote mount on the roof of the pickup, streaming to a screen in the cab. Worked pretty good, need a few tweaks but it is going to help a lot.

Chewed up one sounder pretty good, killed 9, still have lots of targets left. Planting season coming soon, it is time to get serious about numbers.

I took the image out. For some reason TBH makes it 5 miles wide. Don't have trouble on any other sites, it posts up fine on them.

Last edited by Jethro; 03-04-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 08:53 AM   #255
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
When you say most comparable, it depends on what you're talking about. If you're looking only at functionality, the Thermion XQ38 is the direct replacement. If you're looking at size and functionality, I'd say the AGM Rattler TS35-384 which is very similar in size and features as well as magnification. It's around $800 less than the Thermion and also includes an ADM quick attach mount. You would need to buy a QD mount for the Thermion at around $189 for an ADM. If money is an issue, go with the AGM Rattler TS25-384 which is also similar except with a 1.5 power base instead of 2.2 power of the TS35.

Pulsar Thermion XQ38 $3299.97 + QD mount
AGM Rattler TS35-384 $2495 (mount included)
AGM Rattler TS25-384 $1995 (mount included)

The Hogsters are another option but a bit more expensive than the Rattlers and do not include onboard recording.

If you're going with a Thermion, at this point I think I'd hold out for the Thermion 2 XQ38. Same price with some slight upgrades. My guess is if you get on a waiting list now for the Thermion, the "2" is probably what you would get anyway due to backorders.
Very good analysis!

Dale: trust me, buy a step up from what you currently want
gingib is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #256
Lip
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever
Default The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sPRfXkBcXjY&feature=share

A review on the new AGM Taipan handheld monoculars. Looks like a decent lower cost monocular.
Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 10:30 AM   #257
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
The unit we've been using is a Pulsar Trail XQ38. What is the most comparable current unit to that one?
Thermion XQ38 is THE replacement for the Trail XQ38.

The Bering Super Hogster is a comparable model but with noticeably more magnification and a narrow FOV but it's a great optic with an excellent image quality.

Just to be clear, because there is often confusion, the AGM Rattler TS25 and TS35 are great optics for the money but they are NOT replacements for the Super Hogster or the XQ38. They are a bargain at $1,995-$2,495 but they do not compete toe to toe to the Super Hogster nor the Trail/Thermion XQ38, nor were they designed to. AGM will be releasing a scope later this year in the $3,000-ish price range that will compete with those models. I love the Rattlers for what they are but they are replacements for the (discontinued) Pulsar Core RXQ30V and competitor to the Bering Hogster 25/35.

Edit: Lip I just saw your post about the Rattlers and XQ38 now, sorry my comments were directed at you at all. But there is significant confusion on how the Rattlers stack up and I field a lot of calls in a day with people thinking the Rattlers are in a class above where they really are. I just want to be sure people understand where they line up in side by side comparisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post
Jason, you donít want that junky Iray. Iíll trade you even for my XG50....it even comes with a cool custom outdoor legacy adm qd
Haha!!! You do have one of those holy grail mounts, so it's worth extra!

Last edited by Outdoor Legacy; 03-04-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 10:36 AM   #258
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
Very well said, especially the part about how you never hear from the vast majority of folks that dont have an issue but the few that do make it seem worse than it actually is. Sounds like these guys are not going to have a hard time selling any scopes anyhow lol.

Jason, I am going to put you on the spot. In your opinion which optic has the best image quality on an average night? I know average is different from place to place but a night where it isnt the worst or best conditions. I would assume it would still be one of the N Vision scopes but wanted to hear your opinion.
Yes sir, good question and good assumption. If you take money out of it, I do not believe you can beat the image quality of the N-Vision Halo on an average night stacked up against another scope available from a consumer hunting optic manufacturer. The Nox 35 and Halo-X 35, Halo LR, Halo-X 50 and Halo XRF should all have the same image quality as the guts and lens are identical. The Halo LR is getting the same lens upgrade as the Halo-X models are.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:12 PM   #259
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Solid info, thank you all!

Do you do trade ins? Or I guess what I'm asking is, when the backordered items start to ship, do you think any of the Trail xq38s will become available when someone upgrades?

I really like the chasis of the Trail better, especially since that's what we've been using, and the guys I hunt with all have that model. It would be easier not having to worry about which one we scan with, and which one we shoot with, and having different controls.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 01:42 PM   #260
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
Thermion XQ38 is THE replacement for the Trail XQ38.

The Bering Super Hogster is a comparable model but with noticeably more magnification and a narrow FOV but it's a great optic with an excellent image quality.

Just to be clear, because there is often confusion, the AGM Rattler TS25 and TS35 are great optics for the money but they are NOT replacements for the Super Hogster or the XQ38. They are a bargain at $1,995-$2,495 but they do not compete toe to toe to the Super Hogster nor the Trail/Thermion XQ38, nor were they designed to. AGM will be releasing a scope later this year in the $3,000-ish price range that will compete with those models. I love the Rattlers for what they are but they are replacements for the (discontinued) Pulsar Core RXQ30V and competitor to the Bering Hogster 25/35.

Edit: Lip I just saw your post about the Rattlers and XQ38 now, sorry my comments were directed at you at all. But there is significant confusion on how the Rattlers stack up and I field a lot of calls in a day with people thinking the Rattlers are in a class above where they really are. I just want to be sure people understand where they line up in side by side comparisons.

Haha!!! You do have one of those holy grail mounts, so it's worth extra!
Good point Jason on the Super Hogster being a closer replacement. If youíd hurry up and ship my Rattler, Iíd be able to give an educated opinion of the differences since I hunted with the XQ38 for 3 years.

Dale, I wouldnít ignore the Super Hogster as an option. Iíve thought seriously about going up to a Super Hogster instead of a Rattler for my scanner. The Taipans Jason and Hans just reviewed appear to be worth considering as well if youíre looking for a dedicated scanner.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:11 PM   #261
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

Quote:

Do you do trade ins? Or I guess what I'm asking is, when the backordered items start to ship, do you think any of the Trail xq38s will become available when someone upgrades?

I really like the chasis of the Trail better, especially since that's what we've been using, and the guys I hunt with all have that model. It would be easier not having to worry about which one we scan with, and which one we shoot with, and having different controls.
The trail series has been discontinued. Like I mentioned earlier in a prior post, shop for what you want and you will find something for cheaper when everyone else is sitting at home on a waiting list. It's like shopping for a car. Dont go to the nearest dealer and be at their mercy because they make you feel like you don't have options. If you are set on the trail then get one used. You may not like the thermion at first glance but after hunting with 2 thermion xq38s I am very happy. I would have been very unhappy buying a base thermal. Likewise, I think you will be unhappy if you start with nv and will be wanting a thermal soon after running nv. Go big or go home
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 02:51 PM   #262
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243 WSSM View Post
The trail series has been discontinued. Like I mentioned earlier in a prior post, shop for what you want and you will find something for cheaper when everyone else is sitting at home on a waiting list. It's like shopping for a car. Dont go to the nearest dealer and be at their mercy because they make you feel like you don't have options. If you are set on the trail then get one used. You may not like the thermion at first glance but after hunting with 2 thermion xq38s I am very happy. I would have been very unhappy buying a base thermal. Likewise, I think you will be unhappy if you start with nv and will be wanting a thermal soon after running nv. Go big or go home
Pretty well said!

See it all the time like mentioned before. Buy 1 then flip it and upgrade again. Non stop process

GO BIG OR GO HOME, as you eventually will go big if your serious about it. Just don't have to keep flipping scopes, losing money, upgrading to the final product to do it
Old 03-04-2021, 02:58 PM   #263
Wiederhold
Eight Point

Hunt In: Baylor, Parker, Burleson, and Lee

Quote:

Dale, look at the XP50. I bought one in December and it is bad arse. Been laying stuff down every weekend. May have been some luck involved but popped two coyotes at 250 several weeks ago.
Wiederhold is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 02:58 PM   #264
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243 WSSM View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't be happy with anything less at this point. The super hogster would be fine, but for another hunnerd bucks, I'll go with the XQ38....I aint doin this twice.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 03:09 PM   #265
Lip
Ten Point

Default The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't be happy with anything less at this point. The super hogster would be fine, but for another hunnerd bucks, I'll go with the XQ38....I aint doin this twice.

Another $300 if you want quick attach. SH comes with one. Iím hopefully going Thermion 2 XQ38 for my scope. XP50 would be nice but I canít justify the price for my situation. I was happy with the Trail but wanted newer electronics.

Last edited by Lip; 03-04-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:49 PM   #266
bowaddict40
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Dale, There are some groups on Facebook for buying and selling thermals. I just bought a Rattler 25 from guy that has a business in McKinney I found on there. Supposed to be in Monday. Lots of used on there as well.
bowaddict40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 06:16 PM   #267
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:

The Trail XQ38 was discontinued in December of 2018 and the last units were produced in early 2019. There are tons of them out there in people's hands but not that many turning over. We take trade-ins and we sell used scopes from time to time but right now, thermals are like ammo. New or used, they bring top dollar and don't last long.

Buying used is an excellent idea IF you get a good scope, well taken care of it's got warranty left and you get the original receipt from when it was first bought. (That still doesn't "guarantee" you get a warranty but that's a longer discussion) If you don't get a warranty or not much warranty, buy it cheap. Last comment on the warranty....the old line of "Full warranty, because I never registered it" is a lie and will end with tears down the road one day.lol

The mistake that you don't want to make is, overpaying for a used scope because it's "the" one you want or because you don't want to wait. I talk to people every day who are way over paying for used scopes because they don't want to wait on a new one or continue to search for a deal on a used one. I get it, everyone wants to go hunting this weekend but buying a 1-2 year old scope and paying over 80% of the new value is pretty crazy to me.

Here is where you go from here and I'm really being serious here.

1) Decide on a scope model that you want or maybe 2 models at most.

2) Don't settle for something else and don't be easily talked into another model unless the reasons are compelling. ("I can get it today" is not compelling enough)

3) If is a new model and its back ordered and there is a wait, get on a back order list and patiently wait.

4) If it's a discontinued model or a current model that you want to buy used, decide what you're willing to pay and hold to that number. Start beating the bushes for it. Search every classified section, FB buy/sell group etc and be prepared to wait until you find a good deal on it and when you find it, don't hesitate, snatch it up.

At the end of the day thermals are like ammo right now and have been for over 12 months. You can't just call up a dealer and buy the thermal scope you want right off the shelf any more than you can walk into Academy and buy 1,000 rounds of 9mm and 6.5 Grendel ammo off the shelf for dirt cheap prices. The thermal market will eventually settle down but I don't think it's going to be too much sooner than the ammo market does.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:43 AM   #268
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
The Trail XQ38 was discontinued in December of 2018 and the last units were produced in early 2019. There are tons of them out there in people's hands but not that many turning over. We take trade-ins and we sell used scopes from time to time but right now, thermals are like ammo. New or used, they bring top dollar and don't last long.

Buying used is an excellent idea IF you get a good scope, well taken care of it's got warranty left and you get the original receipt from when it was first bought. (That still doesn't "guarantee" you get a warranty but that's a longer discussion) If you don't get a warranty or not much warranty, buy it cheap. Last comment on the warranty....the old line of "Full warranty, because I never registered it" is a lie and will end with tears down the road one day.lol

The mistake that you don't want to make is, overpaying for a used scope because it's "the" one you want or because you don't want to wait. I talk to people every day who are way over paying for used scopes because they don't want to wait on a new one or continue to search for a deal on a used one. I get it, everyone wants to go hunting this weekend but buying a 1-2 year old scope and paying over 80% of the new value is pretty crazy to me.

2) Don't settle for something else and don't be easily talked into another model unless the reasons are compelling. ("I can get it today" is not compelling enough)

3) If is a new model and its back ordered and there is a wait, get on a back order list and patiently wait.

4) If it's a discontinued model or a current model that you want to buy used, decide what you're willing to pay and hold to that number. Start beating the bushes for it. Search every classified section, FB buy/sell group etc and be prepared to wait until you find a good deal on it and when you find it, don't hesitate, snatch it up.

At the end of the day thermals are like ammo right now and have been for over 12 months. You can't just call up a dealer and buy the thermal scope you want right off the shelf any more than you can walk into Academy and buy 1,000 rounds of 9mm and 6.5 Grendel ammo off the shelf for dirt cheap prices. The thermal market will eventually settle down but I don't think it's going to be too much sooner than the ammo market does.
Awesome info and VERY VERY WELL SAID!!!!
Old 03-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #269
gingib
Pope & Young

Seen a Pulsar Thermion XP50 this weekend. Buddy was using his buddies. His buddy had the settings/brightness all jacked up. No detail in the background.

As we hunted that night, he played with it and fixed it. It looked pretty good IMO. Not in the same category of a Trijicon Reap, BUT for $5000 or less it was pretty good. I like it better then the Trail series
Old 03-08-2021, 09:26 AM   #270
Jethro
Ten Point

9 pigs Thursday, 7 on Saturday, 8 last night. 24 total in the last 4 days. Pic for Jason.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:27 AM   #271
Jethro
Ten Point

Old 03-08-2021, 09:28 AM   #272
Jethro
Ten Point

Well dang. This one picture keeps trying to be huge and messing up the thread so I will delete it.

Last edited by Jethro; 03-08-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:01 AM   #273
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Sent a couple more pups to an early grave this weekend. Had my best shot on a coyote with thermal this weekend on one of those pups as well. 348 yds to where the pup fell confirmed with OnX, and roughly 10-20 yds further than that where he was actually shot. Was waiting on him to come closer to the call, but he was about to wind us, and dropping off into a draw right as I squeezed. Perfect lung shot with the 22 Creed, which was surprising he ran as far as he did. Nothing was left of his lungs. Had another coyote/bobcat double which shouldíve been a triple. Had two coyotes circling downwind of us, and hung up when we blew the call. One coyote ran another 30 yds and lined up perfectly with a house in the background, so we had to pass on the shot. While this is going on we had a coyote sneaking up upwind of us, and weíre able to capitalize on him along with the coyote out in the open. My buddy got the cat at 75-80, and I got the dog just shy of 200.

Name:  CF3A09E8-5E40-4380-8229-3BBA53EDF1BB.jpeg
Views: 290
Size:  220.6 KB
Old 03-08-2021, 12:42 PM   #274
imyomama
Ten Point

Default Taipan tm15

well, the verdict is in on the Taipan tm15 . some good, and some bad ... first the good. had no problem whatsoever spotting pigs with it. one of which was at the 300 yards feeder. the tap of the power button to turn the screen off and put it in standby mode is genius . i used that a lot when walking around. added a lanyard to wear around my neck . the hand lanyard is worthless and just gets in the way when hunting after all this is a hunting aid, so sooner or later you need your hands free. battery life was great, i used it all weekend and never had to charge it. now for the bad , #1 the biggest negative is the brightness ... it goes from 1 to 5 but if you like me like to keep your night vision by dimming it to the dimmest setting of 1, it's still way too bright, but it gets worse... big surprise when you switch to black hot, it's actually brighter on 1 than 5 ***????. i wish turning down the brightness would dim in both modes.. as i like to use black hot to see terrain better after initial contact #2 the rubber lens cap is annoying.. it needs a place to go to keep it from flopping around .. i used a rubber band to keep it put, but it's a little ghetto . #3 i wish you could go into the menu to switch from pic to video instead of hold down for video.. sure seems like you have to hold it down for a long time before video starts and stops.. i'd like it to be quicker and simpler. #4 eye relief and focus ... you really have to put your eye all the way against the eyecup to see the entire screen .. i wish it was a little more forgiving , and i need 1.5 close up reading glasses and the focus is adjusted all the way already just for me to see . i feel the adjustment should go further. alternatively , like DJI goggles , if the eye piece was designed differently , you could also insert a corrective lense into the eyepiece ... .

Overall , i'm satisfied with the spotter, it does what it's intended for . one thing i might add is that it would also be nice if you could flip the image upside down in the menu , so if like me you wear a helmet when hunting , you can use your helmet mount with the camera tripod mount ... yeah i know a 3d printed mount could also be used to keep spotter right side up as well.. i'll be working on that.
Also, using it to ride around on the bike like my pvs-14 is not gonna happen.. 1.5x is not going to be good enough to use for that, not to mention the nuk

anyhow, this is my 2c .. it's a nice spotter for the price , it would be perfect with a few minor changes ...

ps. i did manage to shoot a coon at one of my feeders , with my 44 mag , i used the spotter to record video , but the unit is not flat so i had to lay it on the lanyard to get it to stay upright .. i may work on a mount so i can record with it while shooting , but the eye relief is also an issue with that ... not a great video
but I uploaded it to youtube anyways ... zipped right through and blew it's leg off ... 300 grain XTP . 50 yards ... Day scope , so as soon as he ran from the feeder light, i couldn't shoot him again to put him out of his misery... sorry about that , i really expected the 44 to do a better/quicker job.

Last edited by imyomama; 03-08-2021 at 01:20 PM. Reason: .
imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2021, 05:09 PM   #275
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Didnt get on any hogs last night but got a corn and protein thief.

https://youtu.be/QlK4el5QJ1E
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2021, 05:13 PM   #276
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Sent a couple more pups to an early grave this weekend. Had my best shot on a coyote with thermal this weekend on one of those pups as well. 348 yds to where the pup fell confirmed with OnX, and roughly 10-20 yds further than that where he was actually shot. Was waiting on him to come closer to the call, but he was about to wind us, and dropping off into a draw right as I squeezed. Perfect lung shot with the 22 Creed, which was surprising he ran as far as he did. Nothing was left of his lungs. Had another coyote/bobcat double which shouldíve been a triple. Had two coyotes circling downwind of us, and hung up when we blew the call. One coyote ran another 30 yds and lined up perfectly with a house in the background, so we had to pass on the shot. While this is going on we had a coyote sneaking up upwind of us, and weíre able to capitalize on him along with the coyote out in the open. My buddy got the cat at 75-80, and I got the dog just shy of 200.
Man just shy of 200 isnt an easy shot and 348 is incredible.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #277
Mconner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas,anywhere

Quote:

Well heck I bought a super hogster and a rattler 35 just been on a wait since Jan 29th just curious will these purchases allow for a outdoor legacy shirt😉😉😉then I can send you pics of dead stuff any idea on the next shipment of rattlers? Iím excited!!
Mconner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2021, 06:05 PM   #278
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mconner View Post
Well heck I bought a super hogster and a rattler 35 just been on a wait since Jan 29th just curious will these purchases allow for a outdoor legacy shirtthen I can send you pics of dead stuff any idea on the next shipment of rattlers? Iím excited!!

I got on the wait list for the Rattler on January 26th so hoping for an email any day now myself. Iím guessing my Thermion has a ways to go, hopefully after they start shipping the Thermion 2ís
Old 03-08-2021, 08:00 PM   #279
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Man just shy of 200 isnt an easy shot and 348 is incredible.
Iíve had 6-7 kills over 300 since Iíve gotten my XG, but theyíve all been hogs. This coyote was a considerably smaller target than they were. It sure is a lot easier at 300 with my current setup than 200 was with my previous also. Iím not attributing all of that to the XG, but only part of it. Switching to a 22 Creed helped out tremendously as well. Itís much more forgiving at distance than a 223.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:18 AM   #280
Jethro
Ten Point

The other night out shooting pigs we ran across a coyote that wanted to commit suicide. I popped him at 275 with the 6.5 Grendel, 95 VMAX, Thermion XQ50. Past 250 is a long coyote shot for me though. But same night I whacked a little piglet right at 300 with the Grendel.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:30 AM   #281
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
The other night out shooting pigs we ran across a coyote that wanted to commit suicide. I popped him at 275 with the 6.5 Grendel, 95 VMAX, Thermion XQ50. Past 250 is a long coyote shot for me though. But same night I whacked a little piglet right at 300 with the Grendel.
That piglet shot is more impressive than any of mine haha that coyote shot isnít shabby either!
Old 03-09-2021, 11:35 AM   #282
Jethro
Ten Point

Haha, there was a 16-17 year old girl with us, we were taking a group from Iowa out as a favor. She was a pretty good shot. Total luck, but she killed a piglet right next to mine at 280-300 using a 12" barrel 300 Blackout with supers and a Super Hogster (my friends loaner rifle). Made her day, we told her she got the award for the best shot of the night. That one and one other pig were probably the only ones not killed by me that night.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:24 PM   #283
Fordnandez
Ten Point

You guys are better shots and more brave than I am lol. In all seriousness I dont make long shots because I am usually helping out a big ranch near my house that has very expensive animals so a mistaken ID of an animal 200+ yards away can get very expensive really quickly and I dont want to lose my hunting privilages out there. Lastly the 2x base mag on my XP50 isnt meant for long shots. I was pretty excited that this past weekend I hit a 6" plate at 300 yards every time I shot at it.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:01 PM   #284
Jethro
Ten Point

6" plate at 300 at night with thermal should be considered good shooting in anyone's book.

I am very selective on taking long shots. The situation has to be right. I have to know the target for sure, have a good backstop, and know what is around me. Most of the pig shooting I do is out in open cultivated fields with no cattle around. I also shoot more frangible bullets for a reason, so they bounce less. I tried the 120 Gold Dots and they shoot good and kill pigs good. But every miss I had I could hear them zinging out across the countryside. That is no good at night. Went to the 95 VMAX instead, much better on that part and seems to kill pigs just as good.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:40 PM   #285
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Unhappy

Quote:
You guys are better shots and more brave than I am lol. In all seriousness I dont make long shots because I am usually helping out a big ranch near my house that has very expensive animals so a mistaken ID of an animal 200+ yards away can get very expensive really quickly and I dont want to lose my hunting privilages out there. Lastly the 2x base mag on my XP50 isnt meant for long shots. I was pretty excited that this past weekend I hit a 6" plate at 300 yards every time I shot at it.
I had watched this coyote come in for over 30 minutes slowly coming in, and almost thought his behavior was catlike at first. He came in slowly often stopping to sit and watch. I had hoped heíd keep coming closer, but once he turned to try and get downwind of us I knew I had to take my shot. I wasnít worried about anything in the background, and had confidence in my abilities if I ranged him correctly. If I ranged him short of his true distance I was just going to put it in the dirt in front of him as well. No livestock were in the pasture, and i had scanned the pasture long enough in everything around him. The dog himself was less than 20 lbs. It was blatantly obvious he wasnít livestock even if I couldnít positively ID his body shape.

Typically my long shots come from hogs that we shot within close range, and Iím making follow up shots as they run off in the distance. We hunt large wheat fields, and many times you can see them run off further than we can shoot them. A lot of times theyíre slowing down with 250-300 yds of running, and thatís when I start taking long shots if conditions allows. If livestock are in the area I donít mess with it. Last thing I want is to be kissing off landowners as well.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:48 PM   #286
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
6" plate at 300 at night with thermal should be considered good shooting in anyone's book.

I am very selective on taking long shots. The situation has to be right. I have to know the target for sure, have a good backstop, and know what is around
Both of these right here! I donít send long shots just to send em. For every shot I take I bet I watch an animal at similar distances 5-7 times that I just donít feel comfortable pulling the trigger on. And 6Ē at 300 is dang good with night goodies
Old 03-09-2021, 03:18 PM   #287
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
200 yards should be an automatic positive ID at that close of range.

But I hear you. I hunt alot of places for other people with cows. No cows around or in background and I will let it fly at 300-350 on running pigs. No farther
Old 03-09-2021, 06:28 PM   #288
Fordnandez
Ten Point

I am not passing judgement on anyone shooting 200+ yards, it just doesnt fit my gear, where I hunt or how I hunt.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:43 AM   #289
Jethro
Ten Point

It didn't seem to me at all like you were. Everyone has their own situations particular to where they hunt. Same with me. Different properties sometimes have different rules and limits that apply. Everywhere I hunt is different in some way or another. A good hunter knows and follows the limits of himself, his equipment, and the property/conditions he hunts on. All those things are constantly evolving and changing.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:39 AM   #290
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
It didn't seem to me at all like you were. Everyone has their own situations particular to where they hunt. Same with me. Different properties sometimes have different rules and limits that apply. Everywhere I hunt is different in some way or another. A good hunter knows and follows the limits of himself, his equipment, and the property/conditions he hunts on. All those things are constantly evolving and changing.
Very well said! No cows, houses, or background issues and Ill let it fly on running groups
Old 03-10-2021, 09:24 AM   #291
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

It didnít come across to me as you implying that either.

Hereís a shot we took this weekend that turned into a dog/cat double while letting a second dog walk due to his background. Dog 1 is the white X, dog 2 is the red X, and cat is the blue X. Weíre the marked waypoint on OnX. Dog 1 stopped when we wanted him to. Dog 2 kept running a little ways, and stopped with a house in the background. We didnít know the cat was there until we shot dog 1, then immediately popped the cat when he moved. Dog 2 stopped with the house in the background, then upon firing he immediately ran towards the house. So we completely passed him up even though he wouldíve been a chip shot at first, and we sure couldíve used an extra dog or two. Just gotta play every situation by ear. Some allow it, and some donít.

Name:  52DDE9A7-F107-4481-9B52-9323D9DAD99A.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  110.8 KB
Old 03-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #292
Fordnandez
Ten Point

I figured you guys have thick skin but some other threads lead me to believe that some folks get their panties in a wad pretty quick so I just wanted to be clear.

What I will say is that with so many "budget" minded scopes like the Wraith and the thermal options sub $2200 there are going to be a lot of new/first time night hunters. With this in mind I hope there isnt a unrealistic expectation with how far they are able to shoot with a budget minded scope. My fear is that stories of mistakes are going to become more common and will spread like wild fire and that TP&WL will have to get involved and make some more strict night hunting regulations. I know we are a red state which helps but there are a bunch of red states that have some crazy night hunting regulations. I think that most of this was in the efforts to stop poaching however if the wrong persons cow, horse, donkey, dog, cat, house, etc. gets shot things can change very quickly.

Experience and better equipment extends your range and a first time budget hunter will have neither.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:46 AM   #293
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Anyone in this thread in the Tyler area or a little north of? Thermal hunting is fun by yourself, but it would be even more fun to have another gun or two. I have several properties up around Pittsburg and Talco to hunt. Maybe we could share some properties together.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2021, 10:54 AM   #294
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Anyone in this thread in the Tyler area or a little north of? Thermal hunting is fun by yourself, but it would be even more fun to have another gun or two. I have several properties up around Pittsburg and Talco to hunt. Maybe we could share some properties together.
Wish I was closer, I would take you up on the offer.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:36 AM   #295
Jethro
Ten Point

Public perception can be a legitimate factor. And for sure needing to have realistic expectations is important to someone new in the night game. I'll be honest. Around 200-225 is the distance I usually limit myself to unless there is a reason to shoot further. I like to get coyotes inside 200 because kill ratio goes up and video is better. Pigs, coyotes, whatever I would prefer them as close as I can get them. If I am shooting past 225 or so I make myself justify the shot mentally.

Quote:
I figured you guys have thick skin but some other threads lead me to believe that some folks get their panties in a wad pretty quick so I just wanted to be clear.

What I will say is that with so many "budget" minded scopes like the Wraith and the thermal options sub $2200 there are going to be a lot of new/first time night hunters. With this in mind I hope there isnt a unrealistic expectation with how far they are able to shoot with a budget minded scope. My fear is that stories of mistakes are going to become more common and will spread like wild fire and that TP&WL will have to get involved and make some more strict night hunting regulations. I know we are a red state which helps but there are a bunch of red states that have some crazy night hunting regulations. I think that most of this was in the efforts to stop poaching however if the wrong persons cow, horse, donkey, dog, cat, house, etc. gets shot things can change very quickly.

Experience and better equipment extends your range and a first time budget hunter will have neither.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:35 PM   #296
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Public perception can be a legitimate factor. And for sure needing to have realistic expectations is important to someone new in the night game. I'll be honest. Around 200-225 is the distance I usually limit myself to unless there is a reason to shoot further. I like to get coyotes inside 200 because kill ratio goes up and video is better. Pigs, coyotes, whatever I would prefer them as close as I can get them. If I am shooting past 225 or so I make myself justify the shot mentally.
and the problem with public perception is that the facts dont matter, just the perceived events which may or may not be true.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #297
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:

Too funny and true. Some soft minded ferries around here.

you nailed it. Entry level thermals ain't gonna be shooting anything long range thats for sure
Old 03-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #298
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Iíve got a good buddy in Lindale thatís always looking for more dirt to hunt. He runs a PVS-14 and XP50. I can reach out to him and see if heís interested in another hunting buddy.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:17 PM   #299
Lip
Ten Point

Jason, whatís the current lead time on Rattlers?
Old 03-11-2021, 12:06 AM   #300
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
Jason, whatís the current lead time on Rattlers?
I'm trying to figure out how to word this correctly. Let's just say this roll out has not gone exactly as planned and we've learned a lesson. There were good intentions and things put into the writing that never happened for many different unforeseen reasons I'm sure. This left us taking an insane amount of pre-orders on Rattlers and Taipans on the understanding that we'd be getting the quantities needed to quickly cover those orders. Again, no one has lied or intentionally misled us but the quantities of optics that are being estimated on our allocation list end up getting slashed at the last minute.

My point in this comment is to say, whatever I tell you is (again) subject to change in 5 minutes, 5 hours or 5 days when the info I have in writing changes.

Right now I have in writing an allocation large enough to cover your Rattler order. I had a commitment large enough to cover it 3+ weeks ago but we didn't get those quantities and it could change again. And to be clear here, we've received a lot of optics, a whole lot more than our fair share I know, but it's been a process to say the least. What we've never had anything happen in any roll out over the last 8+ years to this degree.

And to be clear, this isn't a slam against AGM, this is their first major roll out of 2 optic lines this wildly popular with so many people after them all at once. They are doing a good job of trying to manage it all, we just did too good of a job selling the optic on the pre-release because we were one of the few dealers who'd had all the models in the field for many months. When I say we did too good of a job, what I should probably say is we had an unfair advantage with all the time in the field with the optics.

At the end of the day, the lists are getting shorter and we've already caught up 2 of the 5 models in question and I hope to have them all sitting on the shelf in stock and ready to go in 3-4 weeks. Fingers crossed.