Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 02-10-2021, 09:22 AM   #101
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyomama View Post
the reap is getting old , new image processors and technology will have better performance ... footage on my reap pretty much suck out the video cable .. but it's still a really simple to use scope that never disappoints... i won't be upgrading any time soon. and by then the new stuff will be even better and cheaper... heck i still drive and love my 09 f150 lariat ... but i'm sure a 21 platinum would be nice...
speaking of... watched some of the latest ultimate NV videos and can't help but say DAMM! when i see the nikon z6 footage ... hate to say it , but thermal could
phase off and become a thing of the past if NV get so good that night time looks like daytime color like that ... you'd only use like a thermal monocular to spot , then go color NV after that ... i mean talk about seeing a cow vs a pig .. that nikon is absolutely phenomenal ... and when you look at the price point , it doesn't seem like it would be too far off to get nikon to come out with a digital NV with those kind of performance...
imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 09:24 AM   #102
imyomama
Ten Point

i mean watch this video and tell me you wouldn't want a digital NV that looks this good at 10:00pm at night
Old 02-10-2021, 09:40 AM   #103
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
the reap is getting old , new image processors and technology will have better performance ... footage on my reap pretty much suck out the video cable .. but it's still a really simple to use scope that never disappoints... i won't be upgrading any time soon. and by then the new stuff will be even better and cheaper... heck i still drive and love my 09 f150 lariat ... but i'm sure a 21 platinum would be nice...
Not so fast on that! The Reap is 4-5 years old and still ATOP the industry, everyone is trying to catch up.

I have not seen a scope yet, that competes with it as an overall scope.

Yes one scope may have it beat on video out/recording. But altogether it is very hard to beat

WIth that being said, yes it is a matter of time here shortly before I think Trijicon upgrades OR someone else knows them off the pedestal with newer technology
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #104
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Not so fast on that! The Reap is 4-5 years old and still ATOP the industry, everyone is trying to catch up.

I have not seen a scope yet, that competes with it as an overall scope.

Yes one scope may have it beat on video out/recording. But altogether it is very hard to beat

WIth that being said, yes it is a matter of time here shortly before I think Trijicon upgrades OR someone else knows them off the pedestal with newer technology
i agree .. i love mine and won't upgrade any time soon ..
Old 02-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #105
imyomama
Ten Point

Default reap

and BTW , this is my reap with my red neck engineered forever battery pack ... i say forever because i've never ever ran out of juice with it ... it lasts for days ..
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #106
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
One last thought on all the new optics coming out and some people are going to say this being to critical or picky but my opinion is that at these prices for the 640 units the consumer should be critical and picky. I really wish that one of these manufacturers would make a 640 12 micron unit with internal video recording that is a 2.5x base magnification. My 4x on my Flir 536 was waaaaay to much, the 2x on my XP50 is a little less than I wish it was and I feel like my buddies 3x on his XG cuts into the field of view just a little to much. I have watched some youtube video's of some older scopes that are 2.7x and 2.4x that seem to be just about perfect but they are not 640 12 micron. I just really feel like 2.5x would be the sweet spot but you always want what you cant have right?
Depending on quarry and terrain Iím right there with you on the 2.5x. I think itís perfect for hogs. For coyotes I prefer the 3x a bit more though.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 11:04 AM   #107
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofus View Post
Any word on timing of the app for Macbook or iOS compatibility?
The scope is iOS capable with the app. I'm running in on my iPhone 8 and it's been working awesome. I haven't heard anything about it being updated to Mackbook compatible and I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Not saying it won't happen but that has to be super low on the priority list I'd assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossivey View Post
Any update on the Thermion XQ38? I'm impatiently waiting
No Thermion XQ38's have shipped to the US since before Christmas because the main factory had to shut down for 3 weeks in January due to a COVID outbreak. However, I have an allocation list of what's coming this month and I think you're going to be sitting pretty.

Quote:
Is this Tyler from UNV who owns IRAY?

I heard he has exclusive rights to them and is not the owner. But imports them from China.

But its like their UNV brand kinda deal as they are behind it.

My thoughts are this: UNV's customer service is AWFUL. I sure love their videos/publicity, but they are lacking on CS.

So for example, if you mail in a scope for a warranty claim does Tyler at UNV have headquarters to repair them in Texas or does it have to be mailed back to China? Thinking of that 5 day warranty claim
Tyler is the owner of iRay USA, period. He has exclusive rights to buy and sell the Infiray products (think Rico 640 MK1, 384 MK1 etc) in the US. Your Infiray/iRay warranty is with iRay USA. The customized scopes like the Alpha and other models to come are 100% owned by iRay USA. iRay USA has been hiring people to manage customer service, dealer relations, warranty repairs etc. They will be doing 100% of the repairs here in Texas and your scope will not go back to China while you still own it because of their stated 5 year, 5 day warranty. Tyler also owns UNV but this is truly a separate company from UNV. I speak to his UNV employees and they know less about what's going on behind the scenes with iRay than I do.

I can't speak for what is going to happen in the future with iRay USA's customer service but they are claiming they are going to have excellent customer service and with a promise of a 5 year warranty with a 5 business day repair/replace guarantee, they better be able to cash the check they just wrote with that claim and I believe they can. If they can't....well their name will be mud quickly. Time will tell but being privy to the "behind the scenes" building of iRay USA over more than a full year of time, labor and effort, I don't see them dropping the ball right out of the gate but I've been wrong before, we'll have to wait and see.
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 11:10 AM   #108
imyomama
Ten Point

well, i'm mad now .. called sightmark beginning of february and they told me i had a wraith 4k allocated to me , ready to ship as soon as it's tested .. didn't see it so called today and i'm no longer even allocated ...and the 57 they have left are spoken for... they said we take care of warranty first , and mine was warranty as my almost new hd failed , and i opted to upgrade ... so now they are saying they have 1100 ordered but no timeline ... i'm not so sure i like what i'm hearing.. so much for customer service
Old 02-10-2021, 11:31 AM   #109
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: mismatched camo

Two comments:

Quote:
I switched from an AR-10 to a 7.62 5-6 months ago .
Calling 7.62x39 "Seven point six two" is ghey. .30hate calledóit wants its name back. Stick with calling it "x39" like a good communist.

Quote:
UNV's customer service is AWFUL. I sure love their videos/publicity, but they are lacking on CS.
Personally I have found UNV's customer service to be best-in-class. Several times they have gone above and beyond for me.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #110
rossivey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post

No Thermion XQ38's have shipped to the US since before Christmas because the main factory had to shut down for 3 weeks in January due to a COVID outbreak. However, I have an allocation list of what's coming this month and I think you're going to be sitting pretty.

Yes! Good deal!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
rossivey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #111
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Loco, Quail, Lutie, Needwood.

I'm going to take a shot at a total thread derail here.

Vehicle mounted thermal.

I know there are probably high dollar turn key systems out there. That ain't my budget, lol.

So let me bounce some random ideas out here.

I know there are magnetic base roof mounts out there that have remotes. Folks use them for spotlights and such. If a guy could rig one of those with a picatinny rail, then a Hogster or similar could be mounted on it. The thermal would be vehicle mounted and remote controlled at that point.

Now what a guy would need is a way to view it. Even though I have a Hogster I am no expert on them at all. Is there a way to run a cable to it, bring the cable in through a door or sliding rear window, then hook it up to a tablet or video monitor? Just live view, no recording.

My idea here is not scanning running down the highway at 75 mph. The goal is 10-30 mph cruising on private land looking for sounders of pigs. When approaching potential fields kill the lights, use the thermal to drive with no lights and creep up within stalking distance of sounders of pigs. Also 360 scanning without opening doors, creating lights and noise.

Help me brainstorm on how to make this workable. Ideas, links to parts, whatever.

Friend of mine has a remote control thermal system in his truck, we watch the monitor as he drives, pretty slick, but not a cheap system. I am trying to figure a way to mimic it with my Hogster, yet still be able to pop it loose quickly and use it as a handheld scanner.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 02:40 PM   #112
Whale
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson & Red River Co.

Tagged
Whale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #113
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
I'm going to take a shot at a total thread derail here.

Vehicle mounted thermal.

I know there are probably high dollar turn key systems out there. That ain't my budget, lol.

So let me bounce some random ideas out here.

I know there are magnetic base roof mounts out there that have remotes. Folks use them for spotlights and such. If a guy could rig one of those with a picatinny rail, then a Hogster or similar could be mounted on it. The thermal would be vehicle mounted and remote controlled at that point.

Now what a guy would need is a way to view it. Even though I have a Hogster I am no expert on them at all. Is there a way to run a cable to it, bring the cable in through a door or sliding rear window, then hook it up to a tablet or video monitor? Just live view, no recording.

My idea here is not scanning running down the highway at 75 mph. The goal is 10-30 mph cruising on private land looking for sounders of pigs. When approaching potential fields kill the lights, use the thermal to drive with no lights and creep up within stalking distance of sounders of pigs. Also 360 scanning without opening doors, creating lights and noise.

Help me brainstorm on how to make this workable. Ideas, links to parts, whatever.

Friend of mine has a remote control thermal system in his truck, we watch the monitor as he drives, pretty slick, but not a cheap system. I am trying to figure a way to mimic it with my Hogster, yet still be able to pop it loose quickly and use it as a handheld scanner.
I toyed with the idea running one of my Pulsars and using the WiFi to display on an iPad screen. The OWL pan head system would mount directly to the bottom of the Pulsar using the 1/4-20 screw. No rail needed.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #114
Jethro
Ten Point

Hogster (what I am really interested in since that is what I have) does not internal record, but it does have video out to go to an MDVR. A 12' USB-C to USB cable is not expensive. But I have no idea what to plug it in to for viewing, or how to do that.

Looking around there are quite a few different remote magnetic mounts that could be used. The Hogster has a QD mount already so to me a rail would be the easy thing for rapid on/off.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #115
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
Two comments:

Calling 7.62x39 "Seven point six two" is ghey. .30hate calledóit wants its name back. Stick with calling it "x39" like a good communist.

Personally I have found UNV's customer service to be best-in-class. Several times they have gone above and beyond for me.
LOL

And maybe things have changed. This was 3 years ago.

But myself, and 2 buddies all had VERY VERY poor CS. Several calls and VM's and not returned for 5-6 days.

All the while IG videos/content was being uploaded daily of the nights hunts before.

It was like pulling an arm and leg trying to get ahold of them. Which worries me(justifiably) if they are the "owners" of IRAY
Old 02-10-2021, 03:31 PM   #116
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
The scope is iOS capable with the app. I'm running in on my iPhone 8 and it's been working awesome. I haven't heard anything about it being updated to Mackbook compatible and I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Not saying it won't happen but that has to be super low on the priority list I'd assume.

Tyler is the owner of iRay USA, period. He has exclusive rights to buy and sell the Infiray products (think Rico 640 MK1, 384 MK1 etc) in the US. Your Infiray/iRay warranty is with iRay USA. The customized scopes like the Alpha and other models to come are 100% owned by iRay USA. iRay USA has been hiring people to manage customer service, dealer relations, warranty repairs etc. They will be doing 100% of the repairs here in Texas and your scope will not go back to China while you still own it because of their stated 5 year, 5 day warranty. Tyler also owns UNV but this is truly a separate company from UNV. I speak to his UNV employees and they know less about what's going on behind the scenes with iRay than I do.

I can't speak for what is going to happen in the future with iRay USA's customer service but they are claiming they are going to have excellent customer service and with a promise of a 5 year warranty with a 5 business day repair/replace guarantee, they better be able to cash the check they just wrote with that claim and I believe they can. If they can't....well their name will be mud quickly. Time will tell but being privy to the "behind the scenes" building of iRay USA over more than a full year of time, labor and effort, I don't see them dropping the ball right out of the gate but I've been wrong before, we'll have to wait and see.
And I 100% agree. This will be a game changer and I hope they can pull it off.

So from your experience, you say MK1 is not the same quality thru the eyepiece as a Trijicon. From the videos it looks better and more detail? Or am I wrong?
Old 02-10-2021, 08:34 PM   #117
Lip
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever

Quote:
If Ross is sitting pretty, that means I'll be one step closer although still probably a couple months away.

Hopefully I'm a bit closer on the Rattler list.

Speaking of Rattlers, are they all shipping to your warehouse or do you have any coming to your place out of Nac?

Last edited by Lip; 02-10-2021 at 08:52 PM.
Lip is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 09:32 PM   #118
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

I guess I’ll join the thread. Received my Hogster R 35 yesterday. Being my first thermal, I’m very pleased with it! Now to get out and shoot something
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 09:33 PM   #119
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Vehicle mounted thermal.
https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/sh...ad-nv-thermal/
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 10:32 PM   #120
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

Quote:
And I 100% agree. This will be a game changer and I hope they can pull it off.

So from your experience, you say MK1 is not the same quality thru the eyepiece as a Trijicon. From the videos it looks better and more detail? Or am I wrong?
Every Trijicon I've gotten since I've had the Rico has been pre-sold so I haven't had the chance to run them side by side but I believe the Trijicons are going to be a little bit better (we're starting to split hairs) but I think the Rico is going to be a better deal and personally where my money would go between the two. But I'm also planning on running a Halo-X 35 when they are available too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
If Ross is sitting pretty, that means I'll be one step closer although still probably a couple months away.

Hopefully I'm a bit closer on the Rattler list.

Speaking of Rattlers, are they all shipping to your warehouse or do you have any coming to your place out of Nac?
First round is shipping by Friday/Monday to my warehouse in Fort Worth. The shipments were smaller than they expected but the 2nd round looks to be better and it should ship out the last week of the month, so I'm shooting for the first week of March for your scope to be in IF we get the numbers they sent over today on my allocation list. Fingers crossed!
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 04:40 AM   #121
Lip
Ten Point

Default The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Quote:

First round is shipping by Friday/Monday to my warehouse in Fort Worth. The shipments were smaller than they expected but the 2nd round looks to be better and it should ship out the last week of the month, so I'm shooting for the first week of March for your scope to be in IF we get the numbers they sent over today on my allocation list. Fingers crossed!

Appreciate the update.

Bundle up, itís about to get cold.

Last edited by Lip; 02-11-2021 at 04:43 AM.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #122
Jethro
Ten Point

Got out and played a little last night. 20 degrees and 10 mph wind, it was pretty chilly for this old man. Not much moving except coyotes and jackrabbits, but the coyotes were moving good! Using my Hogster 35 as a scanner and my XQ50 Thermion to shoot. 90 grain TNT's in a 6.5 Grendel.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:24 AM   #123
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
now that's cool!
Old 02-11-2021, 08:28 AM   #124
Jethro
Ten Point

Quote:
That is one of the mounts I have been looking at. I think it would work pretty good. Main thing I have to solve is the Hogster 35 won't connect via wireless (as far as I know) and I am going to have to use a cable and let it connect to a tablet or something that way.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:48 AM   #125
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Depending on quarry and terrain Iím right there with you on the 2.5x. I think itís perfect for hogs. For coyotes I prefer the 3x a bit more though.
Agreed. Looks like my wish has already been answered! Looks like the Halo X 35 mm is going to be 2.5 base mag............ I need to start saving up lol.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 04:55 PM   #126
coachwhip
Eight Point

Our first run at getting on the boards for the Wise County Hog Contest, nothing "board worthy", but a productive 4 hours!
Name:  IMG014.jpeg
Views: 449
Size:  42.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8196 2.JPG
Views: 475
Size:  284.7 KB
coachwhip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 05:22 PM   #127
GregO
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachwhip View Post
Our first run at getting on the boards for the Wise County Hog Contest, nothing "board worthy", but a productive 4 hours!
Attachment 1040292

Attachment 1040293
Recon Rooters Hunt#1 - YouTube
Ok, seriously, laying on the ground, hog with blood shooting out his side and running straight at youÖthat has got to be exciting!!
GregO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 05:41 PM   #128
Lip
Ten Point

Hopefully weíll see more AGM Rattler video content as the first retail batches are shipped over the next several days. Iíve been disappointed in the limited number of videos that have been posted on social media by those who received scopes to test in advance of the production units.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:56 PM   #129
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:
Hopefully weíll see more AGM Rattler video content as the first retail batches are shipped over the next several days. Iíve been disappointed in the limited number of videos that have been posted on social media by those who received scopes to test in advance of the production units.
Amen. All these new scopes out that you know have been in hands for months and ain't crap for videos hardly. Can't hardly find anything on the new thermion at all and been in hands since January and you know test units were out before that.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 09:07 PM   #130
lnester
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lufkin

Quote:
Do you want video recording capabilities? Sound with video? There are several sub-$3k scopes that have been announced and about to be shipped so youíll get a more educated answer in a month or two but keep your eyes on the Bering Optics Hogsters and AGM Rattlers. Both have a couple models in your price range. Hogsters would need an external DVR for recording, Rattlers have onboard recording. If you can put several hundred more dollars with it the Pulsar Thermion XQ38 would be a good option. It has recording and sound. Call Jason with Outdoor Legacy Gear. Heíll ask some questions and give you a solid recommendation.
I do not care for any recording capabilities. I'll give Jason a call. I see he responded in this thread.
lnester is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2021, 08:29 AM   #131
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnester View Post
I do not care for any recording capabilities. I'll give Jason a call. I see he responded in this thread.
No one better in the business than Jason. Supply is very limited right now so be prepared to wait but this will be the case with any dealer.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:06 AM   #132
duckmanep
Pope & Young

How will the snow affect thermal? I'm guessing it will be great with snow on the ground, but what about while the snow is falling?
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #133
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
How will the snow affect thermal? I'm guessing it will be great with snow on the ground, but what about while the snow is falling?
Just like fog or humidity. Kills the picture. Youíre reading the temp of the moisture in the air and not having near the visibility you would with clear skies.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:44 AM   #134
Sleepy
Pope & Young

For those of you that run large fields and walk in, are you running tripods or bipods? Obviously the tripod I’m sure is more stable, but is it worth the extra bulk/leg to mess with over a bipod?
Old 02-13-2021, 11:34 AM   #135
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
For those of you that run large fields and walk in, are you running tripods or bipods? Obviously the tripod Iím sure is more stable, but is it worth the extra bulk/leg to mess with over a bipod?
Tripod absolutely. Iíve shot off Primos trigger sticks bipod a few times before, and while they work theyíre nothing like a good tripod. Another good thing I like about tripods is leaving them standing with the rifle (bolt open of course) facing the direction of fire while we go look for deads etc. Usually have a rifle mounted flashlight or laser we turn on that directs us where we need to go. Then we can always come back to point A easily, and start over, pick up brass, etc when needed. Believe it or not itís not to difficult to get turned around in the complete dark when stomping all over fields.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:40 AM   #136
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Tripod absolutely. Iíve shot off Primos trigger sticks bipod a few times before, and while they work theyíre nothing like a good tripod. Another good thing I like about tripods is leaving them standing with the rifle (bolt open of course) facing the direction of fire while we go look for deads etc. Usually have a rifle mounted flashlight or laser we turn on that directs us where we need to go. Then we can always come back to point A easily, and start over, pick up brass, etc when needed. Believe it or not itís not to difficult to get turned around in the complete dark when stomping all over fields.

Do you have any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2021, 12:55 PM   #137
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Do you have any recommendations?

The primos tripod is a good entry level tripod and theyíre lightweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #138
imyomama
Ten Point

I bought a manfrotto camera tripod .. they are built like tanks ,and you can adjust the fluidity of the pan tilt to make it as tight or loose as you want then i use the qd off that with either a picatinny mount, so the gun is basically holding itself or i use a padded shelf .. got those from snipers hide long time ago ...

tripod was painted fde so no shine .. works well and makes 0 noise!
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2021, 03:21 PM   #139
Kyscot3
Four Point

Quote:
I bought a manfrotto camera tripod .. they are built like tanks ,and you can adjust the fluidity of the pan tilt to make it as tight or loose as you want then i use the qd off that with either a picatinny mount, so the gun is basically holding itself or i use a padded shelf .. got those from snipers hide long time ago ...

tripod was painted fde so no shine .. works well and makes 0 noise!

What kind of quad rail is that on your rifle?

Kyscot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2021, 08:57 PM   #140
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyscot3 View Post
What kind of quad rail is that on your rifle?

that's a PWS piston SBR 12.5" complete rifle it's piston driven like an ak .. it came with that proprietary handguard ..
not sure if they make it or sourced them .. they are modular and replaceable.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:10 PM   #141
coachwhip
Eight Point

Second night out only produced 2 hogs but they were considerably larger than the ones on the previous hunt...
Name:  IMG_8215.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  160.9 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 6.22.29 PM.png
Views: 361
Size:  396.2 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 7.04.08 PM.png
Views: 362
Size:  293.1 KB
Speaking of tripods my buddies decided it was easier packing the tripod than laying on the ground busting clods!
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
coachwhip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 02:56 PM   #142
jofus
Nubbin' Buck

Default The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Bad look for the Rico mk1:

There is a building lag time between what youíre seeing on the screen vs what youíre actually pointing at. Sounds like it may be a rare issue, but he said iRay told him itís 2%, and 1/50 isnít good odds.

Go to 12:50 for his display lag test.

https://youtu.be/HcMr2cV_WDU

He says in a different video that he has mailed the unit to iRay so they can update the firmware or replace it.

Last edited by jofus; 02-21-2021 at 03:08 PM.
jofus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 07:28 PM   #143
Anon
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Bad look for the Rico mk1:

There is a building lag time between what youíre seeing on the screen vs what youíre actually pointing at. Sounds like it may be a rare issue, but he said iRay told him itís 2%, and 1/50 isnít good odds.

Go to 12:50 for his display lag test.

https://youtu.be/HcMr2cV_WDU

He says in a different video that he has mailed the unit to iRay so they can update the firmware or replace it.
Itís a long way to China, sending all your information back there can cause a lag sometimes...jk...I for one embrace our new Chinese overlords.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 07:49 PM   #144
jofus
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon View Post
Itís a long way to China, sending all your information back there can cause a lag sometimes...jk...I for one embrace our new Chinese overlords.

To be fair, the returns only go to Fort Worth to the US franchise, and they have a 5year warranty with 5-day repair/replace turnaround time.
jofus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 08:17 PM   #145
Anon
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
To be fair, the returns only go to Fort Worth to the US franchise, and they have a 5year warranty with 5-day repair/replace turnaround time.
Was talking about the spyware, according to HansETX, the software doesnít work on apple computers because of security reasons...apple wants to sell your info to China, not let them have it for free lol
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 09:35 PM   #146
Russ81
Pope & Young

Got a few more pasture destroyers last night

https://youtu.be/UCKqbKjtpO8

Old 02-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #147
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hog my BIL shot a while back with his Wraith. We laugh when we see the video because after the shot it looks like the hog dissapeared lol. We found the hog about 50 yards away.

https://youtu.be/GaKlS8CCgG8
Old 02-22-2021, 12:32 PM   #148
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ81 View Post
Got a few more pasture destroyers last night

https://youtu.be/UCKqbKjtpO8

Great video. I really like that 2.7 base magnification. Feels like anything around 2.5 is a happy meduim of magnification vs field of view.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #149
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:
Great video. I really like that 2.7 base magnification. Feels like anything around 2.5 is a happy meduim of magnification vs field of view.

Yup Iíve been real happy with the XQ50, was going with the XQ38 but Jason had this one on the shelf and the hogs were killiní my fields. Going to the fifty has also helped scan 800 yds easy and detect heat along the treeline south of my house. From hogs to calving cow check Iíll always have a thermal at the house.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:33 PM   #150
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hog my BIL shot a while back with his Wraith. We laugh when we see the video because after the shot it looks like the hog dissapeared lol. We found the hog about 50 yards away.

https://youtu.be/GaKlS8CCgG8
And this is exactly why I turn people away from cheap digital NV

Great for once shot in a stand. Thats about it