Bruce's Lampasas Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruce's Lampasas Buck

Archery1st shot this big eight in Lampasas.

Video

great video....and a great buck!

Comment

Great looking buck!

Comment

Great looking buck!! Nice video as well.

Comment

Good video!!!!

Comment

nice deer, nice video, did the arrow go through and hit the deer behind it?

Comment

nice job and great buck

Comment

great buck and vidoe

Comment

Michael - Can you tie the story to the video link??

Michael - Thanks for posting the video again. Several have asked that I respost the story as they missed the story posted prior to the forum switch.

For those that have already seen it I apologize!

Mitch and I were in the blind together on opening morning in Lampasas. We were after this buck as we had watched him grow all summer through tailcam pictures. Mitch was running the camera and my only job was to wait till he had the camera rolling before I took a shot.

Well the buck came in and ate at 10 yards for 10 mins about 45 mins after daylight. Only problem was due to the amount of gear we had in the blind plus the two of us. There was no way I could get turned for a shot at that close range without spooking the buck. So that afternoon and for 8 additional hunts I went in alone. When it got prime time I would turn the camera on and I was ready to shoot. Unfortunately the buck never showed. Weekend before last I sat out the trail camera before I left and got over 200 pictures of the buck in a single day morning and evening.

Was it a fluke or did he have me pegged everytime I hunted? On several hunts I heard what I imagined was a doe cough, but I never saw the doe.

So last Sunday morning I decided to change things up a bit. I switched blinds on him. We have two blinds setup at this spot. Sure enough about 30 mins after daylight I heard "the cough" - and thought here comes that doe. Much to my surprise I looked up and it was my buck that had coughed. It suddenly registered that everytime I had heard the cough it had been my buck trying to come in. The cough was always downwind of me, and he would just cough and leave.

Anyway he came in and started to feed. A doe spooked and he left, but he came back about 5 mins later. The second time he came in, I had about 2 mins to shoot before he spooked again and left. After he left the second time I figured that was it. It was about 8:15 and I almost called it quits out of frustration. About 8:30 I decided to review the tape to see what had happened. Was it me or was he just always on edge? Anway I'm reviewing the tape, and watching him come in for the second time. I glance out the window and there he is at 20 yards.

I quickly stopped the playback, hit record and got the camera in position in the right window. I made note of where the deer were around him through the view screen. When everything was a safe distance away I drew my bow and leaned over to the left window for the shot. During this time frame the fawn walked behind him and as I leaned over for the shot I didn't even notice the extra set of legs behind the buck. I was focused on shot placement. It was not until after the shot I noticed the fawn in the playback. Luckily the fawn was not hit. But the arrow had to have missed it by the narrowist of margins.

The buck ran about 120-130 yards before piling up. It is my biggest buck to date at 153 2/8 P&Y.

He is actually a 9 point as he has a little G4 on his left beam that is 2 1/8"
                  Last edited by Archery1st; 10-19-2006, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Nice shot and nice buck, Bruce. It kinda looked like you might have gotten 2 with one shot, but I think it was just the camera angle.

Comment

Working...
                    X