No announcement yet.

Good first vehicle for 16yr old son.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For my two boys I went with a clean single cab pick up with 100,000+ on it.

Comment

We got both our kids, boy and girl, Nissan Frontiers. Both with manual transmissions. We (I) wanted them both to be able to handle a stick shift just in case they ever needed that skill. I told my daughter that guys really like a girl that can handle a manual transmission. The summer after her junior year in high school she went on a school sponsored work trip to Georgia. The kids wound up clearing brush from a pasture. She got to drive the truck because she was the only one that could handle a manual transmission. One of her male classmates told her "there's just something about a girl that can handle a manual transmission." I just love that story.

Anyway, get a truck to have them up off the ground, don't give them too big an engine, and get something that is reliable. Good luck with it all.
      Last edited by mikemorvan; 03-05-2021, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I have a ‘97 explorer in the driveway I was going to give to my oldest. He wanted a truck and worked to buy his own. Found an ‘83 Chevy in the classifieds and he bought it this past August a week before turning 15. He’s working on it in his spare time and is about to start on the interior. It’s been fun working on it with him so far. If I still have it when my daughter starts driving, she’ll get the Explorer.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	D5B47894-FC64-4BBC-9175-1F0B0DFEFB90.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	24645644

Name:	EED8C333-34C8-4B2B-B30E-F0A1EA8DFA2B.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	24645645

Name:	873E0CE0-8092-480A-A6E9-C6EC78F8D77A.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	24645646

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stickers View Post
          LMAO......... Jumping tail aint never trashed my truck.....well maybe the seat cover

You ain’t loaded up the right one yet....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
            I have a ‘97 explorer in the driveway I was going to give to my oldest. He wanted a truck and worked to buy his own. Found an ‘83 Chevy in the classifieds and he bought it this past August a week before turning 15. He’s working on it in his spare time and is about to start on the interior. It’s been fun working on it with him so far. If I still have it when my daughter starts driving, she’ll get the Explorer.
            [ATTACH]1042763[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1042764[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1042765[/ATTACH]
            Good for him. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullfrog90 View Post
              When my son turned 16 four years ago we bought him a 97 Chevy Z71 for his first vehicle we paid $2500 for it. I had the exact same truck for 15 years and knew it was a reliable vehicle and I could do repairs on it if needed. He turned 20 today and is still driving it with 162,000 miles on the odometer.
              Did you buy it here? Just wondering if its my old truck I sold to someone here. Cant remember who I sold it to

Comment

I drove a 1966 Chevy bel air. I got my license in 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                  Did you buy it here? Just wondering if its my old truck I sold to someone here. Cant remember who I sold it to
                  No, I bought it from one of my uncles. I’m sure he could have sold it for more but he gave me a great deal on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                    You ain’t loaded up the right one yet....

Truth

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                      For my two boys I went with a clean single cab pick up with 100,000+ on it.
                      This is close to what we did with our boys, bought our daughter what she wanted because life ain’t fair

Comment

Yeah, I got 2002 Tundra TRD, that runs like new. Only 160 something thousand miles on it. Thinking that might be to nice of a ride to start with.

Comment

My grandmother has 88 Silverado that’s been parked for years. Only 60,000 miles on it. She’s been gone awhile now, be pretty cool to get that truck running. Maybe he can work on his grandpa and we can have a summer project. Fuel pump went out like 6 year’s ago, and it’s still sitting in the yard in the same spot....

4WD too

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                            My grandmother has 88 Silverado that’s been parked for years. Only 60,000 miles on it. She’s been gone awhile now, be pretty cool to get that truck running. Maybe he can work on his grandpa and we can have a summer project. Fuel pump went out like 6 year’s ago, and it’s still sitting in the yard in the same spot....

4WD too
                            This is your answer. Sweet rig.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

[ATTACH]1042763[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1042764[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1042765[/ATTACH]

He will take much better care of that truck buying it and working on it himself. Knowing the cost and hard work it took to get it.

Comment

[ATTACH]1042763[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1042764[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1042765[/ATTACH]

I hope to do something similar to this when my boy gets close to driving age.

Comment

Working...
                                X