Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2021, 07:46 AM   #1
deerdynasty
Four Point
 
deerdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Springfield Louisiana
Hunt In: Same
Default Jumping the string from box blinds?

Hi. Question. I bought three box blinds recently for rifle and bow hunting axis deer here in Lousiana. Large high fence. They are not tame at all. Three times now at 30-35 yards the axis jump the string. When bow goes off itís pretty loud in the blind vs tree stand. Do u guys ever have them jump the string when shooting from a box blind? Crazy how fast they are. I donít have that issue from a tree stand. Any suggestions? Noise dampening somehow? Thx!!
deerdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
kingranch
Ten Point
 
kingranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: lakeway
Default

are you shooting a crossbow?
may want to look into dynamat.. that stuff is amazing
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 08:20 AM   #3
bowaddict40
Pope & Young
 
bowaddict40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Hunt In: Navarro County
Default

Just insulate the blind and get a heavier arrow. Both with tame the sound of the bow some.
bowaddict40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 08:29 AM   #4
ultrastealth
Ten Point
 
ultrastealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdynasty View Post
Hi. Question. I bought three box blinds recently for rifle and bow hunting axis deer here in Lousiana. Large high fence. They are not tame at all. Three times now at 30-35 yards the axis jump the string. When bow goes off itís pretty loud in the blind vs tree stand. Do u guys ever have them jump the string when shooting from a box blind? Crazy how fast they are. I donít have that issue from a tree stand. Any suggestions? Noise dampening somehow? Thx!!
The bow doesn't sound louder in a box stand to the deer. It just sounds that way to you. The deer probably hear less sound from a bow in a box blind, just obviously not less enough.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #5
sotx
Ten Point
 
sotx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: McMullen County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
The bow doesn't sound louder in a box stand to the deer. It just sounds that way to you. The deer probably hear less sound from a bow in a box blind, just obviously not less enough.
This^^^.
I would say aim low, when they drop to jump you gottem.
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #6
Shane
Pope & Young
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Abilene, TX
Hunt In: Mismatched camo
Default

Are your treestand shots shorter distance? 30-35 yards is the main issue when shooting at a critter as spooky as a whitetail or an axis. Get 10 yards closer.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 03:04 PM   #7
toledo
Ten Point
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: College Station
Hunt In: the road by your lease
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Are your treestand shots shorter distance? 30-35 yards is the main issue when shooting at a critter as spooky as a whitetail or an axis. Get 10 yards closer.
Yep. Too far on a jumpy animal.
toledo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2021, 12:21 PM   #8
Chance Love
Pope & Young
 
Chance Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leander, Texas
Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas
Default

Like others have said, that 30-35 yards you are shooting is too far. Doesn't matter how quiet your shot is at that distance. Try to limit shots to under 25 yards (under 30 for sure) and see how that goes.
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #9
jerp
Pope & Young
 
jerp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Shackleford Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
The bow doesn't sound louder in a box stand to the deer. It just sounds that way to you. The deer probably hear less sound from a bow in a box blind, just obviously not less enough.
I agree with this. After building my first permanent bow blind I put a bag target under the feeder for some practice shots. I was a bit alarmed at how loud my shots were. I then had my buddy shoot from the blind while I stood 15 yards away - it wasn't loud at all.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com