Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 03-01-2021, 08:53 AM   #1
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska
Default 22 Mag VS 17 HMR Comparison

Light and fast vs heavy and slower. Which has more killing power? This should end that debate forever with these 2 calibers....

https://youtu.be/-0ESeoYkNuY
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 09:07 AM   #2
Cliff Dog
Four Point

Hunt In: Irion County

Cool. I like my .22 mag
Cliff Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 09:10 AM   #3
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I don’t see that ends anything. 22 mag penetrates far better. That’s never really been anyone’s argument. They both do a good jobs different aspects, and each will perform differently depending on game, shot placement, and projectile. For many applications I’d rather have a 17HMR. For others I’d rather have a 22 WMR. Both are fun to shoot and hunt with though.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 09:22 AM   #4
WhiplashTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard

^ I agree, it's like comparing a 22-250 vs a 308.

I was surprised that at a 100 yards the 22 mag almost made it into the 5th jug.
WhiplashTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 09:33 AM   #5
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

I love both. My ONLY complaint is the 22 mag just isn’t as accurate as the 17, in my experience.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 09:50 AM   #6
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

17 wins again. I don't want huge penetration on my rimfire, I want all the energy consumed within 1-6 inches and massive bullet expansion/explosion. Most my targets for that gun are 6" or less thick, so penetration past that is just a waste of energy.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 09:51 AM   #7
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
I don’t see that ends anything. 22 mag penetrates far better. That’s never really been anyone’s argument. They both do a good jobs different aspects, and each will perform differently depending on game, shot placement, and projectile. For many applications I’d rather have a 17HMR. For others I’d rather have a 22 WMR. Both are fun to shoot and hunt with though.
Oh there have been many debates over the years.. No different than the arrow weight/speed debates.. Physics are physics..
Dont get me wrong I love the 17...
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 09:53 AM   #8
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond10x View Post
I love both. My ONLY complaint is the 22 mag just isnít as accurate as the 17, in my experience.
Same here.
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 09:55 AM   #9
BrianL
Pope & Young

If you are going after pigs and body shots, 22Mag wins that one hands down.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:59 AM   #10
wilded
Ten Point

I have lost fox, bobcat and coyote with excellent bullet placement inside of 100 yards with the 17HMR, now use it for coon and down targets. The 22WMR just seems to anchor predators better. JMHO
wilded is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 11:01 AM   #11
Anon
Nubbin' Buck

This guy explodes some mice with 22lr, pretty interesting footage thru a thermal...also has videos shooting rabbits with 17hmr and 204 ruger...and even 308 lol always good to have multiple tools
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 12:02 PM   #12
duckmanep
Pope & Young

still holding out for a 22 WSM someday. until then... sticking with my 17 wsm
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 12:09 PM   #13
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack and Henderson Counties

I love my 17HMR. Groups insanely tight and down right killer! Shot placement is key but that goes for any rifle.
Antlers86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #14
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

For bigger critters I prefer the .22mag. I've killed a lot with both but a badger is about the biggest animal I'd expect the .17hmr to kill consistently. If I were targeting animals over 15 pounds I'd choose the .22mag and 40 grain JHP's.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #15
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Which one dies quicker. One that is tickled to death or one that is stabbed to death.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 06:10 PM   #16
okrattler
Pope & Young

I will say that the .17WSM smokes both of them. I've shot coyotes,badgers,skunks,armadillos a grey fox and a beaver and small stuff like prairie dogs with my buddies .17WSM. It'll kill a coyote with a shot to the lungs at 100+ yards. Destroys prairie dogs like they got hit with a centerfire.

I've been shooting 20 grain Gamepoints for a while in my .17HMR. Killed a bobcat at 53 yards last week with a shot to the neck. Hit a big raccoon with it the other day and it had enough life left to jump in a well where I couldn't retrieve it. Massive blood loss but lived too long for my liking. Also shot a badger with the same gun,same bullet in the chest at 70 yards and it died far enough down the hole that I couldn't reach it. Tried to fish it out by tangling barbed wire in its fur and dragging him out but was unsuccessful. I know he died but he made it far enough that I couldn't get him. So in my opinion a bullet that fragments is a lot better in the .17HMR because it delivers more hydrostatic shock. The draw back to that is you can't shoot through heavier animals as well and reach vitals. The 20 grain seems like it's good for getting through to the good stuff it just doesn't deliver the amount of hydrostatic shock that a hollowpoint or v-max does. But I haven't tested that particular bullet out on enough big animals to really say how well they do. But based off of the three I've shot recently I haven't been real impressed. The bobcat is the only one that just went straight down and only kicked a few times. All three were good hits and they were confirmed dead. The raccoon and the badger just didn't drop on the spot which I don't like.

Last edited by okrattler; 03-01-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #17
quackadikt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
still holding out for a 22 WSM someday. until then... sticking with my 17 wsm

Iíd love one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 04:20 PM   #18
arrowsmack324
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
I will say that the .17WSM smokes both of them. I've shot coyotes,badgers,skunks,armadillos a grey fox and a beaver and small stuff like prairie dogs with my buddies .17WSM. It'll kill a coyote with a shot to the lungs at 100+ yards. Destroys prairie dogs like they got hit with a centerfire.

I've been shooting 20 grain Gamepoints for a while in my .17HMR. Killed a bobcat at 53 yards last week with a shot to the neck. Hit a big raccoon with it the other day and it had enough life left to jump in a well where I couldn't retrieve it. Massive blood loss but lived too long for my liking. Also shot a badger with the same gun,same bullet in the chest at 70 yards and it died far enough down the hole that I couldn't reach it. Tried to fish it out by tangling barbed wire in its fur and dragging him out but was unsuccessful. I know he died but he made it far enough that I couldn't get him. So in my opinion a bullet that fragments is a lot better in the .17HMR because it delivers more hydrostatic shock. The draw back to that is you can't shoot through heavier animals as well and reach vitals. The 20 grain seems like it's good for getting through to the good stuff it just doesn't deliver the amount of hydrostatic shock that a hollowpoint or v-max does. But I haven't tested that particular bullet out on enough big animals to really say how well they do. But based off of the three I've shot recently I haven't been real impressed. The bobcat is the only one that just went straight down and only kicked a few times. All three were good hits and they were confirmed dead. The raccoon and the badger just didn't drop on the spot which I don't like.
Apples to oranges man, rimfire vs centerfire
arrowsmack324 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 04:36 PM   #19
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
Apples to oranges man, rimfire vs centerfire
both rimfire
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #20
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post

I really like my Volquartsen 17 WSM. It will shoot sub 1" MOA and hits hard. I want to go prairie dog hunting with it someday soon if ammo starts stacking up on shelves again.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #21
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
I really like my Volquartsen 17 WSM. It will shoot sub 1" MOA and hits hard. I want to go prairie dog hunting with it someday soon if ammo starts stacking up on shelves again.
Oh I bet that is a sweet gun. I wouldn't mind seeing them come out with a .22WSM. The 20 and 25 grain v-max both have worked fine putting down critters in my buddies rifle but I'd like to see them come out with hollowpoints and softpoints for the .17WSM.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:28 PM   #22
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

The RimX action has tickled my pickle since day one when they announced they’d have a 17 WSM bolt head available for it. I haven’t managed to convince myself to spend the money yet, but one day I will. That thing will be a sweet little Varmint killer. Love the WSM round, but the rifle selection is horrendous. The VQ is the only quality rifle IMO, but I’m just not interested in a SA. If CZ made the 457 in a WSM I’d own one yesterday.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:20 PM   #23
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
The RimX action has tickled my pickle since day one when they announced theyíd have a 17 WSM bolt head available for it. I havenít managed to convince myself to spend the money yet, but one day I will. That thing will be a sweet little Varmint killer. Love the WSM round, but the rifle selection is horrendous. The VQ is the only quality rifle IMO, but Iím just not interested in a SA. If CZ made the 457 in a WSM Iíd own one yesterday.
VQ stop producing the 17 WSM

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2021, 08:48 PM   #24
okrattler
Pope & Young

If I wanted to get serious about spending money on a rimfire I'd get a Franklin Armory F17.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:01 AM   #25
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
I donít see that ends anything. 22 mag penetrates far better. Thatís never really been anyoneís argument. They both do a good jobs different aspects, and each will perform differently depending on game, shot placement, and projectile. For many applications Iíd rather have a 17HMR. For others Iíd rather have a 22 WMR. Both are fun to shoot and hunt with though.
Yep, I agree completely.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 08:20 AM   #26
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon View Post
Mouse Hunt - Pest Control & Thermal Shooting with a 22LR Lithgow LA101 - YouTube
This guy explodes some mice with 22lr, pretty interesting footage thru a thermal...also has videos shooting rabbits with 17hmr and 204 ruger...and even 308 lol always good to have multiple tools
When I was a kid, Stingers were my favorite 22 LR ammo by far. I preferred them over everything else. I have not seen any in many years, thought CCI discontinued them. I just saw some a couple days ago.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #27
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilded View Post
I have lost fox, bobcat and coyote with excellent bullet placement inside of 100 yards with the 17HMR, now use it for coon and down targets. The 22WMR just seems to anchor predators better. JMHO
Same experience with 17
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 10:28 PM   #28
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
Same experience with 17

Are you shooting the 17gr V-Max or the 20gr Hornady XTP soft point? The V Max blows up. The XTP kills stuff dead.

175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 10:32 PM   #29
arrowsmack324
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
both rimfire
Derp, I just learned something.
arrowsmack324 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 10:46 PM   #30
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
Are you shooting the 17gr V-Max or the 20gr Hornady XTP soft point? The V Max blows up. The XTP kills stuff dead.

That’s been my experience as well. I’ve put down a handful of hogs with mine and a lot of smaller game from rabbits to coyotes using the 20 Gr XTP.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:08 AM   #31
wilded
Ten Point

When I started shooting the 17HMR the 17 grain ballistic tip was all that was available. I have three cases of the stuff and have not shot the 20 grain XTP and with the ammo supplies like they are it will most likely be a while before I try it. Just hate to have to re-sight my rifle each time I change bullets. FYI I went into Academy in Killeen yesterday and they had basically no ammo.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:38 AM   #32
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilded View Post
When I started shooting the 17HMR the 17 grain ballistic tip was all that was available. I have three cases of the stuff and have not shot the 20 grain XTP and with the ammo supplies like they are it will most likely be a while before I try it. Just hate to have to re-sight my rifle each time I change bullets. FYI I went into Academy in Killeen yesterday and they had basically no ammo.
Iíve got about 1K rounds of the 17 Vmax and about 1K of the 20 XTP. I shoot them both regularly. My rifle is sighted in with the Vmax, but the 20 XTP shoots within 1/4Ē at 100 yds. That was good enough to eat hole a few hogs at 140 yds a little while back. I shoot the 17 stuff the most, as most of my shooting is rabbits, fox, etc. It works fine for them. I mostly save the 20 if I know I have a chance at coyotes or hogs, and I just plain enjoy killing hogs with that gun lol
Old 03-05-2021, 07:54 AM   #33
wilded
Ten Point

I have a custom Ruger 77/17 with a fluted Green Mountain Target Bull barrel and the accuracy is uncanny. I love it for that reason. It is death on prairie dogs, squirrels and rabbits out to 150 yards. I have lost several fox, coyotes and bobcat with good bullet placement that made it to brush when calling at night. The first year I had it I shot a big gobbler at about 75 yards center of the back. Feathers went everywhere but I did not recover the bird. That was when I decided not to use it on anything larger than a coon. I look forward to trying the 20 grain bullets in the future. I have been shooting the 30 grain V max 22 WMR with success on foxes and other predators.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #34
Capp35
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard county

I have killed plenty of hogs and turkey with my 22 mag. Some a hair passed 100 yards.
Capp35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 01:51 PM   #35
Johnson
Four Point

Hunt In: Mexico

I hunt in Mexico. Take two guns for the season. 22Mag and deer rifle. I shoot pigs, javalina, and yotes out to 150 yards with the 22Mag.
Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 07:26 PM   #36
Bureau2
Six Point

Hunt In: Wilbarger

The 17 is fun to shoot, such a flat shooter. But for animals I prefer the Mag.
Bureau2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 08:08 PM   #37
MetalMan2004
Eight Point

Seems to me that the .17 bullet did its job by dissipating all its energy in the one target. That’s what they’re supposed to do.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 08:12 PM   #38
Anteloper
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

For me it all about the accuracy and shot placement. The 17 HMR is known for its exceptional accuracy.
Anteloper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 06:14 AM   #39
LivinADream
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

I like them both, but the 17 more so for plinking, 22mag for hunting. 17 is much more accurate on paper, but have 0 trouble head shooting rabbits out to 70-80 yards with the mag. That's plenty accurate enough for me. I have anchored quite a few pigs with the 22mag.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 07:41 AM   #40
meltingfeather
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
If you are going after pigs and body shots, 22Mag wins that one hands down.

If you are going after pigs with body shots and a .22 you lose.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #41
PIOBill
Four Point

I have one of each. Anchored a big coon on the spot with the 22 mag and just took out a squirrel at 35 yards with the 17 HMR. Both DRT so each has a place. Since the two savages are alike I don't even have to think about adjusting from one to the other.
PIOBill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 11:32 AM   #42
okrattler
Pope & Young

I think the accuracy issues most guys run into with the .22mag has to do with the ammo rather than the gun. Mine is the most accurate with 40 grain bullets. I can put bullets through the mouth of an empty can at 100 yards with those. I've been shooting 30 grain bullets though and they're still capable of hitting a bottle cap at 100 yards.