Best predator mouth/hand calls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best predator mouth/hand calls?

Ok TBH, looking for suggestions on whats the best mouth predator call? I do several varmit tournaments every year. I primarily run a fox pro electric game call. However, so does everyone else, thinking i need to change up some techniques and sounds. Whats some good mouth calls. Looking for coyotes and bob cats.

Thanks,
    Muzzy100

Zepps,Sceery,Primos,Orion,Crit'R Call.....There are several others I could list but I think an open reed call is the way to go. It gets cold as heck up here so the closed reeds freeze up and won't work sometimes. It depends on the person though I suppose just like anything else. I just prefer open reed calls over the other.

Comment

Tally Ho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

burnam brothers mini blaster

Comment

I have quite a few mouth calls, both factory and custom. My hands down favorites are my Carvers. I have a couple of their open reed distress/howlers I really like, and I also have one of their 220 Swift closed reed calls that is one of my all time favorites. All of their calls are super easy to blow and have good sound. I always have one of them on me in case my E-caller goes dead.

Comment

ive had my best luck with primos lil dog

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
              burnam brothers mini blaster
              this one, very versatile.

Comment

Burnham Brothers Mini Blaster. Takes less wind and makes a wide variety of sounds. You will find that you will get more predator responses when using hand calls as they produce a more realistic sound than do electronics. Prey animal distress sounds can go over 90,000 Hz while all electronic callers on the market today peak at 15,000 Hz to 17,000 Hz. A human can hear a little over 20,000 Hz while a coyote hears to 45,000 Hz and a cat to 64,000 Hz.
                You will be able to produce ultrasonic levels with the Mini Blaster in the 40,000 to 50,000 Hz range.
                We will release an electronic caller that is producing frequencies in the 45,000 to 47,000 Hz range this fall. When it hits the market, everything else is obsolete.
                When using hand calls, you will need to pay more attention to detail and conditions when setting up.
                Adios,
                Gary

Comment

My go- to is a little Mini Blaster from Burnham Brothers. Super easy to run it and has a little different tone than my other calls. I also use a "White Out" Snow Goose call from Sean Mann as a locator/ howler.

Edit: Looks like the Mini- Blaster isn't such a secret anymore!

Comment

Haydel’s Government Hunter Cottontail. Nice raspy sound with a squeaker on the other end. You get a squeak every time you inhale, sounds really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                      Burnham Brothers Mini Blaster. Takes less wind and makes a wide variety of sounds. You will find that you will get more predator responses when using hand calls as they produce a more realistic sound than do electronics. Prey animal distress sounds can go over 90,000 Hz while all electronic callers on the market today peak at 15,000 Hz to 17,000 Hz. A human can hear a little over 20,000 Hz while a coyote hears to 45,000 Hz and a cat to 64,000 Hz.
                      You will be able to produce ultrasonic levels with the Mini Blaster in the 40,000 to 50,000 Hz range.
                      We will release an electronic caller that is producing frequencies in the 45,000 to 47,000 Hz range this fall. When it hits the market, everything else is obsolete.
                      When using hand calls, you will need to pay more attention to detail and conditions when setting up.
                      Adios,
                      Gary
                      Great info. Thanks.
                      I need to buy a "Mini Blaster".. Coyotes are getting thick between Brady and Menard!!!!!

Comment

Find an old Weems wild call, they never fail to produce. My next is a Circe P1 the 3 in one is good also but will freeze up on you where it turns.

Comment

I've seen coyotes called in with too many different brands and types to even say which is the best. I know a guy that calls in a lot of coyotes with Dogbreath predator calls. I don't know if it's just his technique or what but it really doesn't sound anything like a dying rabbit. You don't necessarily have to sound just like a rabbit to call coyotes in but as far as realistic goes I'd say Sceery and Zepps are two of the most realistic I've heard and they're easy to use. They're not open reed calls which I prefer but they sound awesome.

I carry a MAD howler and a Crit'R Call Magnum. Plus a Crit'R Call Peewee or some other distress call even when I'm using an electronic call. I've had my call die a time or two either during a stand or right as I was starting one. Last Winter I had that happen and squeaked a few times and within about 30 seconds a coyote was standing 50 yards away.
                          Last edited by okrattler; 08-29-2019, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                            Adios,
                            Gary

I took Gary’s advice & bought one of these this past spring & it’s loud & easy to get some great sounds from it

Comment

I've got an old Olt's #33 mouth call that was handed down from my Grandfather. Perfect wounded rabbit wail, that has been the demise on countless foxes and yotes. I'd put it up against any of the new stuff out there.
                              Last edited by Montec man; 08-29-2019, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X