Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-24-2019, 05:53 PM   #1
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default Water pump help/question

I have a 3 trash pump. It moves way too much water too fast. Even when I idle it down its too much. I have a 1.5 pump thats garbage. Is it possible for me to reduce the intake on the 3 pump to use the 1.5 intake hose? Im trying to slow the rate down on the pump. I worried about putting too much strain on the pump from restricting it. Has anyone tried this before??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
Rustythebeagle
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
I have a 3 trash pump. It moves way too much water too fast. Even when I idle it down its too much. I have a 1.5 pump thats garbage. Is it possible for me to reduce the intake on the 3 pump to use the 1.5 intake hose? Im trying to slow the rate down on the pump. I worried about putting too much strain on the pump from restricting it. Has anyone tried this before??

We used the Honda's at work and never had much success slowing things down...prime, flow, stop, repeat.

Not a direct answer to your question; but I ordered a Wayne "Water Bug" (electric) pump from Amazon and it has no issues priming and takes the water done to 1/4 inch or less.
Rustythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustythebeagle View Post
We used the Honda's at work and never had much success slowing things down...prime, flow, stop, repeat.

Not a direct answer to your question; but I ordered a Wayne "Water Bug" (electric) pump from Amazon and it has no issues priming and takes the water done to 1/4 inch or less.

I was worried about burning the pump up running it like that. It will suck for about 3 seconds, get air, then take about 30sec to prime and repeat.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #4
merlin
Eight Point

Would probably burn up pump. Need to find a smaller pump
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 08:47 PM   #5
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Why don't you just put a restriction in the discharge? (AKA valve)... What is your application? What are you pumping out of, into, and purpose?
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 10:15 PM   #6
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

As long as it is pumping it will stay cool enough. Can restrict either side. Restriction on discharge will create high pressure discharge . Restricted suction will reduce volume and discharge pressure. Just remember that as long as the pump is moving water, it should be cool to the touch. If not pumping it will get hot.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 10:40 PM   #7
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstraw View Post
As long as it is pumping it will stay cool enough. Can restrict either side. Restriction on discharge will create high pressure discharge . Restricted suction will reduce volume and discharge pressure. Just remember that as long as the pump is moving water, it should be cool to the touch. If not pumping it will get hot.
That is only the case between the restriction and the pump. Downstream of the restriction, there will be less flow.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2019, 07:05 AM   #8
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Why don't you just put a restriction in the discharge? (AKA valve)... What is your application? What are you pumping out of, into, and purpose?

Im pumping out my front ditch. I have dug a hole in the ditch to get the screen deeper but it still sucks air. Also lugging around those 3 hoses are a pain when I need to get it all setup quick. I wound like to reduce the intake to 1.5 to slow the pump and make the whole setup lighter.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:44 AM   #9
deerplanter
Ten Point

It won't harm the pump as long as it's not sucking in air and cavitating. The pump will be running off its curve but should be good for what you want. The best thing to do is repair 1.5 and use it.

After thinking about it again it could damage the pump by reducing the suction, use discharge valve to regulate flow or resize impeller/pump.

Last edited by deerplanter; 06-25-2019 at 08:13 AM.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #10
Rustythebeagle
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
Im pumping out my front ditch. I have dug a hole in the ditch to get the screen deeper but it still sucks air. Also lugging around those 3 hoses are a pain when I need to get it all setup quick. I wound like to reduce the intake to 1.5 to slow the pump and make the whole setup lighter.

Takes up some space in storage but we built carts that could hold the pump, a gas can, and two hose spools, that way you could wheel them out and get up and running ASAP.
Rustythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2019, 07:53 AM   #11
Chadhender
Four Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Don’t change any thing on the suction side of the pump or throttle suction with a valve. This will cause cavitation. To slow flow add a discharge valve. The pump is likely running out on the curve if you have a short discharge pipe run. Throttling with a valve will pull it back to the left on the curve giving you less flow. Don’t run the pump blocked in and you will be fine. Been working with pumps my whole career.
Chadhender is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2019, 08:31 AM   #12
Paycheck
Eight Point

I would throttle the discharge as others have stated. If you must restrict the intake, make sure you restrict the discharge more.
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2019, 02:06 PM   #13
gvick
Eight Point

You could also plumb in a bypass on the discharge and circulate it back to the intake. this will help keep it primed and restrict your flow as well.
gvick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top