Cook and eat or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cook and eat or no?

I bought a rib roast the week of Easter when they were on sale. Our fridge went out and we’ve been living out of an ice chest and our small garage fridge for the past week. My plan was to vacuum pack and freeze but with the fridge debockle that was impossible. Our new fridge was finally delivered today and when I got the rib roast out I checked the sell by date and it was April 22. It’s obviously 7-8 days past that now. There is a little discoloration on the meat in places but not too bad. I know there are ways to age beef and I’ve read here about some of y’all who age these rib roasts in the fridge for several weeks. I don’t know about the process so I have no idea if my prime rib is toast or if it’ll still be okay. I’m tempted to trim it and cook but I don’t want to get sick obviously. A $30 dollar rib roast that was on sale isn’t worth food poisoning. What do you guys think, cook and eat it or throw it away?

if it has a funky smell, I'd toss it. If it smells normal then I'd cook it.
    hard to fool the nose.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbaganoosh View Post
      if it has a funky smell, I'd toss it. If it smells normal then I'd cook it.
      hard to fool the nose.

Comment

As long as it stayed cold, it is fine. I've aged beef in a fridge for 3-4 weeks on purpose

Comment

It’s fine. Trim it if you must and cook that SOB.

Comment

I would cook and eat. But I also eat squirrel, Indian food, and Long John Silvers, so I might not be the best judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              As long as it stayed cold, it is fine. I've aged beef in a fridge for 3-4 weeks on purpose
              It has been kept cold. We caught the fridge going out in plenty of time so nothing got hot, I just couldn’t get it frozen as planned due to waiting on delivery of our new fridge. I know there is a process to aging beef which I obviously didn’t follow. I’m sure the small amount of discoloration here and there is due to air exposure in the packaging. I appreciate the input. I’ll smell it and cook assuming it passes the smell test.

Comment

man im super cautious about that stuff.. I absolutely hate being nauseous or sick... I throw stuff away because I hate throwing up.. but some folks have iron guts.. I just don't want to be sick over a few bucks...

Comment

I’d cook it, no hesitation.

Comment

I took some vacuum packed pork chops from Omaha Steaks out of the freezer and put them in the fridge two weeks ago. Cooked them tonight and they were fine.

Comment

Yep, smell test and cook it up

Comment

Sniff and go

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

There is no maybe, no in between. If you have any sense of smell at all you will detect the smell
                          of infection. If it's not foul I would cook and eat it.

Comment

Working...
                          X