road hunting question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

road hunting question?

The other post about shooting deer from a road made me think of this question.

A place I used to hunt about 20 years ago had a county road running thru it. We had hunting rights on both sides of the road. Part of the place was not fenced. We would often see deer while on the road going thru the place. Would it have been legal to shoot those deer if we stepped off the road and shot from the ditch?

Just wondering?

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
    The other post about shooting deer from a road made me think of this question.

A place I used to hunt about 20 years ago had a county road running thru it. We had hunting rights on both sides of the road. Part of the place was not fenced. We would often see deer while on the road going thru the place. Would it have been legal to shoot those deer if we stepped off the road and shot from the ditch?

Just wondering?
    If off of the legal right of way for the road then yes.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe you would have been okay.

Comment

Only at night is it ok

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post

This ^^^

Comment

Our neighbor in Webb county had the county road running through their property with no fences on either side. He would sit on the county road and hunt. The game warden told him that it was illegal to hunt or shoot off the county road even though he owned each side of the road. Just saying.

Comment

I know a guy that had a game warden tell him you have to be at least like 25 yards or something from the ditch before you could legally shoot. I don't know how it is in Texas or if I'm wrong about being 25 yards off the road. Could be more could be less I don't remember what he said. I think if you'd have got out and walked out there and sat down and shot a deer you're technically not road huntin. You saw it from the road but you didn't kill it from the road.

Besides that I saw a game warden on Lone Star Law shoot an antelope while using a side mirror as a rest. Never even opened the door on the pickup. You can't tell me that's a skill he's learned as a game warden. Looked pretty poacherish when he did it.LOL
              Last edited by okrattler; 12-05-2019, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                I know a guy that had a game warden tell him you have to be at least like 25 yards or something from the ditch before you could legally shoot. I don't know how it is in Texas or if I'm wrong about being 25 yards off the road. Could be more could be less I don't remember what he said. I think if you'd have got out and walked out there and sat down and shot a deer you're technically not road huntin. You saw it from the road but you didn't kill it from the road.

Besides that saw a game warden on Lone Star Law shoot an antelope while using a side mirror as a rest. Never even opened the door on the pickup. You can't tell me that's a skill he's learned as a game warden. Looked pretty poacherish when he did it.LOL
                I’ve killed a pile of critters using the mirror as a rest. Ain’t poached yet.

Comment

my favorite hog blind has wheels and mirrors

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                    I'm just kiddin. Looked pretty funny though when I was watching it.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                      Bag of rice duck taped to the mirror.. best rest you'll have.. lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                        Bag of rice duck taped to the mirror.. best rest you'll have.. lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dodge mirrors folded out are the best. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post

This is interesting.

Ok, just so I get a little more clarification. Would a "Private Road" fall under the legal or illegal?

The private road in my scenario leads to a few houses off an FM road.

Not really asking for deer hunting, I dont think I would ever do that. But more for Dove hunting and walking a private road next to a field.

J

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                            Our neighbor in Webb county had the county road running through their property with no fences on either side. He would sit on the county road and hunt. The game warden told him that it was illegal to hunt or shoot off the county road even though he owned each side of the road. Just saying.
                            We had the same thing in Webb our county road is owned on both sides by chip Briscoe and we had some traffic coming up from Callahan lane to hwy 44 and hunted it a lot, game wardens never said anything to us, even letting us drive UTV’s on it
                            Then chip solved the problem by putting up heavy pipe gates on 44 and Callahan lane only letting BP and GW “ and maybe a few drug mules “ and hunters drive it
                            When I moved west Webb county we had county road 6236A running down the middle of the ranch
                            We were not allowed to shoot off the road by the Brask family
                            And game wardens : so I am confused whether it was landowner choice or law ,

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
                              This is interesting.

Ok, just so I get a little more clarification. Would a "Private Road" fall under the legal or illegal?

The private road in my scenario leads to a few houses off an FM road.

Not really asking for deer hunting, I dont think I would ever do that. But more for Dove hunting and walking a private road next to a field.

J
                              If it is owned or maintianed by the county city or state then illegal. If you own it or privately owned you can do what ever you **** well please on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X