Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 blackland prairies thread, Ellis, Navarro, hill heck even north side freestone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post

I have a feeling that’s what mine is going to look like too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I need a couple more doe just like this one. She has thrown twins all 3 yrs I have been there.(I assume it’s same doe)
      I think she had buck/doe first yr and twin bucks last yr., actually hoping for twin doe this yr to help the population some.

Comment

Anyone starting to see some mature deer? I have a decent flow of regulars but nothing mature. With it starting to get dry I would think they would begin to hit feed a little more.

Comment

I haven't started feeding yet but lots of activity around the house. No p&y bucks. Would like to thin the does a bit this year.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I can’t keep the hogs off my feeder long enough for the deer to have a chance. I guess I need to thin them out some.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
              I haven't started feeding yet but lots of activity around the house. No p&y bucks. Would like to thin the does a bit this year.

Send them my way please, we need more on my side.

Comment

Originally posted by lost cajun View Post
                I can’t keep the hogs off my feeder long enough for the deer to have a chance. I guess I need to thin them out some.

Mine thinned out about a month, they tend to roam around a bit.

Comment

Got first pic of hard horned buck this am....and so it begins!

Also looks out area around Navarro mills got some good rain. I hope so, it was really dry this last weekend.

Comment

Hunt Northeast part of Ellis County on 65 acres. Half is wetland (last 2 years all has been wetland) and half in timber/open areas. I went out this past weekend to spray the deer fields so I can cut, disc and plant this next weekend.
                    As far as someone asking about hunting dove on the same property as you deer hunt, I would say that if you are hunting the same food plot field that would be a no go for me. However, we hunt ducks on the wetland side and have seen deer mingling around the outer edge of the wetland while we have been out there after shooting. So I think if it is something consistent, they get used to it not being harmful to them and it doesn't bother them.

Comment

Headed to Kerens this weekend to see the family. Hope to get out to the lease too.

Comment

Plan on filling feeders this weekend. Last time at the ranch I had to deal with a tree down in the road.

Comment

Was out in Navarro county last weekend. It’s pretty green for this late in the summer. Pigs are hammering all the feeders. I’m ready for October!

Comment

I have a couple full days of work to finish getting a couple spots ready. Then will have to start getting plots ready to plant. Now that the heat has let up some I’m a little more “in the mood” to tackle it.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                              I have a couple full days of work to finish getting a couple spots ready. Then will have to start getting plots ready to plant. Now that the heat has let up some I’m a little more “in the mood” to tackle it.

When do you start planting? What do you plant? I’ve thrown out ryegrass different years. Some years it comes up great other years it’s a flop.

Comment

Originally posted by lost cajun View Post
                                When do you start planting? What do you plant? I’ve thrown out ryegrass different years. Some years it comes up great other years it’s a flop.

I usually do a mix of some forage oats, wheat, then a mix of peas, clover and turnips. I try different things in different areas to see what is browsed the best and then adjust every yr.

Comment

Working...
                                X