Hay questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hay questions

We've got about 30 acres of pasture that we're having baled by someone else. I don't think it's high quality grass, but I'm not good at id'ing grasses. It's a mixture. My question is, what is the normal arrangement on what the landowner gets for his hay when baled by someone else? I've heard 50%? Also, would the county extension agent be able to come out and tell me what kind of grasses we have and what it's worth? Thanks!

50/50 might work if it’s high quality, more than likely you’ll get 2/1 in favor of the baler. Extension agent could help, as could your soil conservation rep. Good time to get a soil test done in case you need to work on your soil ph in late winter early spiring.

Comment

Its been a couple years since I quit baling for other folks, but like he said. Usually did 2 me 1 them unless it was good fertilized bermuda without many weeds, then might do 50/50

Comment

I get 33% but I don’t even bother trying to check accuracy. He sprays weeds, fertilizes, bales and sells. It secures my ag extension, brings in a little beer money and I don’t have to mow so I’m fine with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like possibly native grass?

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
            Sounds like possibly native grass?
            Yeah we haven't planted anything, native river bottom grasses.

Any idea what a round bale of that stuff would be worth?

Comment

I get my pasture cut Bahia grass, and they cut and roll for 27 dollars a roll . but I keep all of it for my cows.

Comment

Just pay the baler and keep the hay. 2 for 1 in favor of baler is too high. Baking goes for anywhere between $24-27 per roll.

Comment

2/1

Comment

If you fertilize it 1/1

Comment

Another question is, what's a ballpark rule of thumb on how many bales per acre I should be getting and how many cuts per year? I know it's totally weather depending but I'm just trying to figure some rough numbers.

Comment

Bales per acre equals what kind of grass you are baling and also the size of bales that are being produced.

Comment

You hay baler guy should be able to tell you. 50/50

Comment

Hay questions

I’d like to find someone to run their equipment for less than 30 a bale. I pay 32 and it’s the cheapest I’ve found. Most are 35. Op it also depends on what size bales the guy is making. Where are you located? A good fertilized hay patch should have no problem making 2+ bales an acre if you get rain. 2 to 1 in favor of the guy running equipment is the norm around here unless it’s real good stuff.
                            Also, 3 cuts on a good year. Could go up or down depending on the weather and what part of the state you’re at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Dushon; 12-06-2019, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X