No announcement yet.

25-06 opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 25-06 that shoots so so though I have never shot anything but paper with it. It sits in a safe. I am sure that it would take care of deer and hogs.It's a great round with low recoil.

Comment

I have a Ruger #1 in 25-06...one of my favorite rifles!

Comment

I have a Thompson Center pro-hunter in 25-06.
        Flat shooting rifle. I don’t really like using it for anything bigger than a deer, and it does not drop them as well as my 308.

I have a large sample size of game hit from both of those rifles.

For that reason I don’t take it to hunt the brush country. Some of the bucks (200# animals) hit perfectly with the 2506 would run 50-100 yards with almost no blood trail.

Shooting both the 120g core lokts and 117 hornadys.
        Just my experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Used a 30-06 for several years but always wanted a 25-06. I picked up a savage axis 25-06 pretty much for a truck gun. But I’ve gotten to where that’s what I usually take to the stand. Killed lots of deer and hogs with it. All deer were drt. Took it on an axis hunt last year and all of them were drt. I was shooting the sst but just didn’t like them. Went to the hot day American whitetail 117 gr. And it groups better than the sst and does as much damage as my 30-06. Unless it’s a big buck I wanna mount i shoot them in the neck. Lost a few shoulders due to even high shoulder shots. I love it.

Comment

I've wanted to get a 25-06 barrel for my TC Encore for a loonnnng time. What barrel length do you guys think is best for the 25-06 slinging 100g - 120g bullets?

Comment

I killed lots of deer with a Remington Sendero back in the day. Never had a problem with wounded deer. My current 25-06s are a Marlin that I bought for an under the back seat truck gun and a Ruger No. 1. When I first started coyote hunting seriously the Ruger was my coyote rifle. With handloads it’s a near one-holer. The caliber was about perfect for that but an AR in 6.8 has replaced it simply for the immediate extra shot or two.

That said, I have what I consider the perfect deer caliber for me in a .280 Rem.

Comment

I have a heavy barreled Ruger M77 25-06. I probably used it for ten years and did very well with it. The cartridge is an excellent choice. My particular gun is so heavy that I welcomed the chance to switch over to a Weatherby Vanguard which happens to be 7mm Mag. It actually is a more accurate gun in my hands. The Ruger has been in the rack for probably twenty years now. Recently, I've been meaning to dig out the 25-06 ammo and burn it up, just having some fun. I'm getting old and I hate to see good ammo go to waste.

Comment

Awesome caliber. Have had a Ruger number 1 for years.

Comment

All you guys with the No. 1’s in 25-06 are making me jealous. Would love to have one.

Comment

I’ve got a original sendero in 25-06 that shoots great but I prefer the .257 weatherby loaded with 115 nosler ballistic tips, down right devastation on white tails.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        How's the blood trail if it doesn't DRT?
                        I've shot around 8 deer with mine using 120 grain corelock or 117 grain horniday. Neither have left much of a blood trail but no deer has made it more than 30 yards. Very accurate and when you double lung them their chest cavity will be a puddle.

Comment

Very impressed with the reviews on here. Now anyone got one they’d sell? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                            Was skeptical of it as I've always shot 300wm... I picked up my ruger m77 varmint this year and decided to take it hunting as it's stupid accurate. Havent picked up my 300mag since. Have shot an 8 point and 2 coyotes and have been extremely impressed at the damage. It eats 120gr corelokts and spits them out at 1/2" at 100yrds.
                            My browning likes the same. Several axis and antelope have met their demise to that round.

Comment

My mom shoots a 25-06 and loves it.

Comment

Great round. I’ve got a few of them, but my favorite is an APR that shoots 110 Accubonds in one hole. I’ve killed truckloads of whitetail with that round as well as some large exotics and even a couple elk. It isn’t my first choice for an elk rifle, but it’s worked here in Texas on a couple for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X