Now might be a time to reconsider cable TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now might be a time to reconsider cable TV

I have been reading the threads and been wanting to "cut the cable " for several years now. But 2 things have held me back. First , my internet has been really slow.

I have had suddenlink for years and was only getting 3mbps. So streaming was questionable. Although they advertise 10 mbps, this was for new customers. Very frustrating.

Secondly, the wife wanted local stations and one particular show, which I didn't know for certain we would get over the air.

But before Christmas, she said she wanted a smart TV ( and she really didn't even know why, but her boys have them) Turns out this was a great investment.

Our local electric co-op is bringing in fiber optic and I figured the smart TV would work well when we get a new internet provider.

But when we got our December cable/internet /land phone bill, wouldn't you know it went up another $20.

So my wife called them. While it did take some time on hold, etc, we now have 400 mbps internet, still have the landline, and still have cable. All of this for less than our old price.

Our bill was like $167 and I believe jumped to $189. The tech installed the new modem and yes we are getting 400mbps.

My stepson in the Spring area called his provider. Told them to cut the cable an give him faster internet. They gave him the fast internet (not sure of speed, but he is a gamer), gave him cable for $20, and reduced his overall bill.

Sorry for the long post, but I believe some big things are happening regarding internet access. I believe our governor just recently announce a big effort to get internet to the "underserved " areas. And there is a lot of big $$$$ coming down because of the pandemic and stimulus plans.

Long story short is we didn't have to even weight for the Co-op to bring us faster internet . We have been weighting about 2 years now.

We cut cable several years ago. Our cable, phone and internet bill at the te time was $180.

It went down to $80 and was $70 for internet and $10 for phone.

Just this last week I called my provider and told them I wanted the faster internet service, wanted to get rid of the phone, and wanted to keep my internet bill at $70. Normally with the faster speed it is $20 dollars more per month.

They agreed and gave sent me a new modem. I did a speed test and attached a screen shot of what I am now getting for speeds. Before I was getting between 60-80 Mbps download speed.

They also locked my $70 dollars per month price in for 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Cracks me up when people day they "cut the cable" yet they still have it for internet service.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
        We cut cable several years ago. Our cable, phone and internet bill at the te time was $180.

It went down to $80 and was $70 for internet and $10 for phone.

Just this last week I called my provider and told them I wanted the faster internet service, wanted to get rid of the phone, and wanted to keep my internet bill at $70. Normally with the faster speed it is $20 dollars more per month.

They agreed and gave sent me a new modem. I did a speed test and attached a screen shot of what I am now getting for speeds. Before I was getting between 60-80 Mbps download speed.

They also locked my $70 dollars per month price in for 3 years.

And I thought I was getting a good deal. I believe some new technology has come out that allows faster than ever speeds over existing networks. But whatever it is, there seems to be a lot of competition and now is a great time to negotiate. Our coop will be offering both wireless and fiber. But I saw that the fiber packages start at over $100 per month . I do not really need the landline, but I do like the idea of keeping the number I have with it. Had it for around 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          Cracks me up when people day they "cut the cable" yet they still have it for internet service.

Until recently, the cable portion was really a big part of the bill. But the competition from the streaming services really changed things. I believe that the "cable" companies have really realized they can do better as internet providers.

Comment

Originally posted by wickll View Post
            Until recently, the cable portion was really a big part of the bill. But the competition from the streaming services really changed things. I believe that the "cable" companies have really realized they can do better as internet providers.
            I've been in the industry for life. This happened 5-6 years ago.

Comment

I "cut" the cable a couple of years ago and it sucks. I have good internet but it still freezes and the TV has to be restarted a couple of times each evening. I'm saving money but not sure it's worth it.

Comment

Getting ready to cut ours. Kinda nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                  Getting ready to cut ours. Kinda nervous.
                  You going line of sight internet?

Comment

I've been in the industry for life. This happened 5-6 years ago.

Agreed, but many of the companies have tried to hang on to those cable packages pricing. Have you seen anything in the industry that has really changed the internet speed capabilities? Or is it mainly competition?

Comment

You going line of sight internet?

Already have it.

Comment

When I say "Cut the cable", what I mean is getting rid of cable TV.

After saving $100 dollars a month by doing that and then adding back in the cost of Netflix and Prime, I am still net saving $70 dollars a month.

I'll crack up all day long over that!

Comment

We cut the cord and been using an antenna for 5 years
                          But, we do have Hughes net......and it bits big turds

Comment

The cable is what brings the service to your house and then splits off to rooms and devices. You cut the video portion of that service. The cable isn't cut.

Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                              We cut the cord and been using an antenna for 5 years
                              But, we do have Hughes net......and it bits big turds
                              Yes we have Hughes. I use my Hotspot which is faster.

Comment

Working...
                              X