My Grandson got a Good One!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Grandson got a Good One!

We headed out late Friday evening to go on our first Opening day hunt since Michael started hunting 4 years ago at age 9. Usually we wait till the youth weekends at the end of the year. Time has flown by in those 4 years. He has grown up a lot in this time. It was time to start taking him on every trip if he wants to go. I know that in time he might loose interest in hunting. I am going to take him as long as he wants to go with me now and soak up every moment of it.

My dad is a great man and I am very lucky to still have him around at 86. He was not raised a hunter and has hunted a hand full of times with me. It is not his thing. So for me to be able to take Michael hunting is a true blessing no matter if we bag anything or not. He loves to watch all the animals do their thing and has become a very patient hunter in four short years. Some might say I spoil him. I think we are blessed to make memories together. Before he shot his deer he said, Pops when I get older, I am taking you to hunt a Buffalo or anything you want.

We hunted Saturday morning at the Flats and saw lots of deer but not the one I had seen the week before. We went to camp and ate breakfast and then we broke out his .22 six shooter and rifle and plinked for an hour or so. I just bought a bog pod death grip tripod and it is the bomb! I would recommend one highly for a young hunter.

Saturday evening we went to the 29 acres and we saw 30-40 hogs with some giants. We watched 25-30 deer at the same time. This was the first lesson of hunting opening weekend he learned. We don't shoot at hogs when it's early in the year. We keep things quiet as we can. He was fine with it and enjoyed watching the hogs fight and the doe on their back legs kicking at each other. The smaller bucks were chasing the smaller doe around and we talked about all that.

Sunday morning we were back at the Flats. There were deer waiting on us in the dark to corn the road by the pen. We got settled in and you could see deer chasing around all over the place. About 6:30 I look to my right and here he came. I didn't know what legal shooting light was or we would have shot him then at 60 yards. So we waited and the feeder spun and he jogged up to and jumped in the pen. I told Michael. The wait begins now. Last week the deer owned the pen and wouldn't let any other deer in there. I explained to him I didn't want him to take a shot through the hog panels and risk wounding the deer. So 30 minutes later and plenty of time to calm our nerves down the deer jumped out of the pen and walked back down the road we had corned. He was at about 110 yards at this point. Michael reached up and grabbed the window to pull himself up in his chair and took a shot to his middle knuckle of his ring finger from a yellow jacket on the outside of the blind. I could tell he was hurtin. I told him to Cowboy up and it was time to take a shot finally. The deer turned broad side and the .260 rang out. The buck humped up and ran about 60 yards, did a forward roll and that was it!

We hugged and high fived. I tried to video it all on my phone but I had left it on record and when it was time to actually record I turned it off. We waited about 10 minutes and about that time a hog walked up to the pen. All the other deer had left the area so the hog took one from the .260 too! DRT

What great memories for us. Mother nature is Awesome! To be honest, I am the one that is spoiled here. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sorry for the huge pictures If you can shrink them feel free!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Abcdj; 11-11-2020, 12:53 AM.

Good stuff.
    That’s a great buck and congrats again to y’all.

Comment

Awesome story, congratulations Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great story. Congratulations on an awesome buck.

Comment

Congrats on a fine buck!

Comment

Great buck! Congrats!

Comment

Huge congrats to you both. That’s a beast

Comment

He sure did! Congrats to both of y’all!

Comment

Great buck!

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Congrats to both of you!

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Pure perfection. Great pics. Congrats to both of you.

Shoulder mount for Christmas!

Comment

Very nice congratulations to the young man

Comment

He's ruined now!!

Comment

Working...
                              X