300 weatherby mag ammo question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300 weatherby mag ammo question

I just picked up a 300 weatherby mag. Just curious what ammo you all are using on your 300 weatherby mags? Trying to get a good starting point on what ammo to try out (if I can find it).

Our landowner on our lease just cleared off several acres of land. Pigs are really tearing the new field up. We put up a new box blind to hunt there. I can see 300 plus yards from that spot. I'd use it there a lot so that would be the main thing I'd hunt with it.

Might do a couple of elk hunts in the future.
    Last edited by BradBryant1000; 01-15-2021, 12:52 PM.

A friend has enjoyed great success with 180 Nosler Partitions in his on deer, hogs, elk, moose, and a ton of critters in Africa. But the beauty of the .300 Wby is the case capacity that lets you drive heavier bullets. If I had one I'd try 200 grain Accubonds and Gamekings or drive lighter Tipped TSXs at stupid velocities.

Comment

180 and above gave the best accuracy for me. I could not get my 165s to group well at all. Have all my brass and going to reload a few in the very near future.

Comment

300 WBY and 180g Accubonds are a very, very tough combination to beat.

Comment

I shoot the 165 SST. It groups well and it has the flattest trajectory

Comment

I use 180 gr Barnes Vortex.

Comment

Out of curiousity I looked at Grabagun's website and they had Weatherby Select with 180 gr Interlock bullets for 46.99 per box.i have used Weatherby ammunition loaded by Norma and it shoots well.

Get the best deal on the Weatherby Select H300180IL .300 WBY Rifle Ammo at GrabAGun.com. Get the best deals on Rifle Ammo for sale online at GrabAGun! Weatherby for sale online. Flat rate shipping on all guns and ammo with the best prices around!

Comment

I shoot the 165 grain nosler balistic tip in mine and it does an outstanding job on hogs deer. I have never had either take a step after impact

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
                  Out of curiousity I looked at Grabagun's website and they had Weatherby Select with 180 gr Interlock bullets for 46.99 per box.i have used Weatherby ammunition loaded by Norma and it shoots well.

https://grabagun.com/ammo/rifle-ammo...interlock.html
                  I appreciate that. I looked around yesterday and didn't find any. I'll look at the link you posted right now.

Comment

Mine shoots the 180 gr Berger VLD Hunting bullets best. And pretty devastating. The Nosler partitions are great too but would not open up for me under 100 yards and had a couple deer run off, not far but they both made it about 30-50 yards. If I was hunting bigger game like nalgai or elk it’s good to know I can just switch over with very little change in impact.

Comment

180 grain Accubond. No doubt. I shot a 200lb 5.5 yr old buck in south texas today in the second to last rib. He dropped and bled out. He was 260 yards, took a step before the bullet got there, and I hit him a little far back. But, he dropped and didn’t move. Point being, anything I have shot with my .300 Weatherby Mag with the 180 grain Accubond hasn’t moved. Dropped right where they were shot.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                        180 grain Accubond. No doubt. I shot a 200lb 5.5 yr old buck in south texas today in the second to last rib. He dropped and bled out. He was 260 yards, took a step before the bullet got there, and I hit him a little far back. But, he dropped and didn’t move. Point being, anything I have shot with my .300 Weatherby Mag with the 180 grain Accubond hasn’t moved. Dropped right where they were shot.

I agree with this, but I prefer the accubonds in all calibers. Having said that, ANY 180 gr. factory ammo built for a 300 weatherby is going to be a death bringer. It’s 180 gr. Bullet going really fast. I’m using the weatherby select hornady interlock loads on deer and hogs now, just because I got them on sale before the current “ammo scourge”. Nothing has walked away.

Comment

Working...
                        X