Lumber prices are falling fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
    Futures pricing will take a little while to reach the market. I would expect to start seeing declines at the big box stores in another month or so.
    I was hoping a bit sooner. Opening up back of house and need to frame out three temporary walls and install LVLs. Hoping for a crash between now and next week.

Comment

Best news I've heard in a while. My construction loan opens on 6/21 so this is great news.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
        Lumber prices killed new home construction, so prices are falling due to decreased demand. The market wins again!
        Killed it? It was at a 15 year high where was it gonna go? I believe permits have continued to increase have they not?

Comment

Oh perfect...now that I’ve got all my wood building projects finished. Timing is everything.

Comment

Lumber prices killed new home construction, so prices are falling due to decreased demand. The market wins again!
            I wish...sure didn’t stop anybody, didn’t even slow them down, from building duplexes right across the road from me. Who the hell builds duplexes in the country???

Comment

Dang, I hope so. Ridiculous how high it got/is.

Now if the same good news can happen for corn prices. Paying $10 a bag might make me take this year off. Was already an "expensive to me" addiction before the increase.

J

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                I wish...sure didn’t stop anybody, didn’t even slow them down, from building duplexes right across the road from me. Who the hell builds duplexes in the country???
                Where else are all the NY and CA transplants supposed to go?

Comment

When is steel going to follow?

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                    Two consecutive days of limit down on cash price.

The Wall Street Journal June 15, 2021

Lumber prices are falling back to earth.

Futures for July delivery ended Monday at $996.20 per thousand board feet, down 42% from the record of $1,711.20 reached in early May. Futures have declined 14 of the past 15 trading days, the last two by the most allowed by exchange rules.

Cash lumber prices are also crashing. Pricing service Random Lengths said Friday that its framing composite index, which tracks on-the-spot sales, dropped $122 to $1,324, its biggest ever weekly decline. The pullback came just six weeks after the index rose $124 during the first week of May, its most on record. Random Lengths described a chaotic rout in which sawmill managers struggled to provide customers with price quotes.
                    Random Lengths has printed down the last three weeks on Yellow Pine & SPF. Last week 2x6 #2YP was down $188/K...which equates to $0.188 a linear foot, or a $1.88 on a 10'er.

Retail or wholesale pricing is based off of replacement cost and that doesn't mean future pricing...yet.

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                    I paused a fence... deck... and so on. I've not bought a single piece of lumber in a year. Worked on everything else. I've been watching this as well and hoping enough people stay on the sidelines and refuse to pay the crazy prices until they come back to Earth. $51 now at Lowes for a 4x8 sheet of 7/16 OSB. That's a $7.X piece of lumber pre covid.
                    Anything OSB related is not included in any cost declines. 7/16" was up another $10/K...or $0.32/sheet and will probably continue to go up through the summer and into fall.

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                    I’m hopeful. Would like to build a gabled pergola, but I ain’t doing it at current lumber prices.
                    Cedar isn't coming down either.

It's the old Gas story... Prices of gas at the pump jump instantly on any geopolitical issues then they slowly creep back down. When asking why, it's because they have to sell off the expensive stuff that is already in the channel. My question is always, "Why, then, did prices jump instantly? There was cheap gas in the channel..."
                    Lumber & structural panels have been increasing in cost virtually every week for the last 15 months, so I wouldn't really call that an "instant" jump.

Not in North or Central Texas, it hasn't.
                    Last edited by cj7zrcool; 06-15-2021, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                      Investors!

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
                        When is steel going to follow?
                        No kidding!!!

Comment

I think timber futures around $250.00 before this pre pandemic mess?

Comment

Has anyone priced Romex lately? The last roll I bought for our house build was in January, and that set me back $75 for a 250ft roll. Last week that same roll at the Depot was $289.00. We were about to start a 7500 sqft barndo, but that had to be put off until we can get back to being able to afford it.

Comment

Read this this morning...can't come soon enough..projects to do!

Comment

.... $51 now at Lowes for a 4x8 sheet of 7/16 OSB. That's a $7.X piece of lumber pre covid.
                                Two weeks ago I saw 3/4" plywood at $98 at HD.

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
                                Dang, I hope so. Ridiculous how high it got/is.

Now if the same good news can happen for corn prices. Paying $10 a bag might make me take this year off. Was already an "expensive to me" addiction before the increase.

J
                                This morning on AG news they were talking about how high soybeans are getting and they expect that to drive down corn prices. Brazil in in a drought and their soybean supply is down. Brazil and the US are the largest soybeans producers in the world and China is the largest buyer. I say sell to everyone but China and put that dog in his place.

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                                Has anyone priced Romex lately? The last roll I bought for our house build was in January, and that set me back $75 for a 250ft roll. Last week that same roll at the Depot was $289.00. We were about to start a 7500 sqft barndo, but that had to be put off until we can get back to being able to afford it.
                                Yes, copper prices have been $4.25-$4.90 for several months. I need to sell my scrap copper before it drops.

Comment

Working...
                                X