Haynie Custom Boats: Magnum or Cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haynie Custom Boats: Magnum or Cat

Hey guys I'm planning on making a trip down to Chris's Marine in two weeks to finally place an order on a new boat build. I was pretty set on going with a Cat (either 23, 23 Super Cat or 24 Cat) but have slowly been more and more leaning towards a Magnum (most likely a 25). I have priced both the way I like them and both fall in my price range.

Looking for input/advice/recommendations on which route to go. I have rode on both and I like both boats, each in their own way. Being that I typically wade fish and get in to the back lakes, I have always been partial to the Cat with its shallow water capabilities. However, I have really enjoyed the times I have spent on a Magnum with it's fast/smooth ride.

Most of my fishing will be done in POC/Seadrift. Occasionally I'll make a trip to Matagorda and fish East Matagorda and very few times I'll be in Corpus and run down to Baffin or the Landcut.

Originally posted by breeds13 View Post
    Hey guys I'm planning on making a trip down to Chris's Marine in two weeks to finally place an order on a new boat build. I was pretty set on going with a Cat (either 23, 23 Super Cat or 24 Cat) but have slowly been more and more leaning towards a Magnum (most likely a 25). I have priced both the way I like them and both fall in my price range.

Looking for input/advice/recommendations on which route to go. I have rode on both and I like both boats, each in their own way. Being that I typically wade fish and get in to the back lakes, I have always been partial to the Cat with its shallow water capabilities. However, I have really enjoyed the times I have spent on a Magnum with it's fast/smooth ride.

Most of my fishing will be done in POC/Seadrift. Occasionally I'll make a trip to Matagorda and fish East Matagorda and very few times I'll be in Corpus and run down to Baffin or the Landcut.
    The magnums are great but if you are mostly POC/Seadrift are you really going to get the benefit of that hull i.e. running flat out in rough stuff? In POC you can usually find reasonably protected water. The magnum will pretty much run all of POC but you may need to pick your line a little more than with other hull types. I don't think you are going to run south pass entrance on a hard low tide in a magnum. They really shine running CC to Baffin or the land cut. I would probably look at the cats for your area and style of fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
      The magnums are great but if you are mostly POC/Seadrift are you really going to get the benefit of that hull i.e. running flat out in rough stuff? In POC you can usually find reasonably protected water. The magnum will pretty much run all of POC but you may need to pick your line a little more than with other hull types. I don't think you are going to run south pass entrance on a hard low tide in a magnum. They really shine running CC to Baffin or the land cut. I would probably look at the cats for your area and style of fishing.
      This.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
        Well said.

OP good on you for seeking input, hope you will have been able to spend some hours on whatever you ultimately decide on, opinions and other's input are good but all boats are still a compromise and only you can decide which fits you best.

Comment

You just need to really be honest with yourself about where and how you fish and where and how you catch most of your fish. If you live in the back lakes a cat or other skinny water hull is the only option. But then if that is mainly what you do I don't think you'd be asking for opinions.

I have gone back and forth for many years. This time I really sat down and looked at my numbers and looked at the honest when and where. I was surprised. As much as I LIKE fishing shallow back lakes the percentage of the fish my customers caught in the back lakes was very small, and really the catches for them are only good when we had higher water levels. Well, I can fish them in a V hull on big tide days.

So for me I was taking more of a pounding, running slower and burning more gas every day so that I could have access to areas that account for less than 10% of the fish we catch. By going with the magnum I also gain more days that I can fish nearshore and in bigger open water. I can fish for tarpon, snapper, ling, etc much more often. And I get a better ride and a better running and better handling boat every day.

I have not seen much change in what I do, honestly. I have fished the back lakes several times in my Magnum on big tide days with no issue. I've fished the mud flats with no issue. I've fished the bayous on the south shoreline with no issue. And it fishes open water like a champ.

You just have to really think it through and figure out what is going to work best for you. Nobody can answer that part for you.

Comment

Working...
          X