Hang and Hunt Guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hang and Hunt Guys

I just bought the new hawk helium hang and hunt combo with the 20" sticks. With only 4 sticks I can only get to maybe max 12-14'. I'm use to my climber getting up to 18-25'. I was curious as to how high the rest of the lock on guys typically try to get.

More sticks or an aider.

I can get to 20’ easily with no aider with 4 of my Lone Wolf sticks. Spacing is a big deal too. Need to space as far apart as you can without stretching too much to get a foot on.

Comment

I use the same sticks with a DIY aider. I can get up to 22'

Comment

I get 18’ pretty easily with 4 XOP sticks. You could maybe add aiders or a simple screw-in at the bottom to gain a couple feet.

@StraightWayOutdoors
        Straight Way Outdoors, Fulcrum Archery, Elite Archery, Upwind Odor Elimination, Wicked Twisted Bowstrings

Comment

How big of spacing are you putting between sticks? I would think you’d get at least 16-18 ft with 4. I get around 18-20 with 4 full size Lone wolfs.

Comment

I was probably about 2' of spacing. I set it up this past weekend for the first time. I will play with it some more make an aider to help out. If I can get 18' without buying another stick that would be perfect.

Comment

I run 3 Lone Wolf sticks and get 12-15 feet high and don't have any problems getting busted. Personally, I think back cover is more important than height. I've killed deer 2 feet off the ground in my Lone Wolf on public. If you have good back cover, you can get away with a lot more than you might think. But you if you want to get high, I feel 4 sticks would get you there and 'aiders' are all the rage right now as well.

Comment

I use the muddy pro sticks and with a set of four usually only get about 15 feet. A couple of years ago I started tying 3 or 4 prusick loops and I will hang them from the bottom step of each stick. This gives me one extra step on each stick and easily gets me to 24ish feet. The prusick is adjustable for length and the. Barrel knots make for a better foot platform. Can post pic later if you need more clarification.

Comment

3 Beast sticks + CAYG aider = 16 feet , 4 Beast sticks + CAYG aider = 21 feet

Comment

I don't want you to push outside your comfort zone, but 12' on 4 sticks seems low. You might try to stretch out your placement a bit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rich1201 View Post
                      I don't want you to push outside your comfort zone, but 12' on 4 sticks seems low. You might try to stretch out your placement a bit.

Yep. I was thinking that, but I wasn’t familiar with that particular Hawk. I basically wanted to be as considerate as possible.

@StraightWayOutdoors
                      Straight Way Outdoors, Fulcrum Archery, Elite Archery, Upwind Odor Elimination, Wicked Twisted Bowstrings

Comment

I use those same sticks w/ one step aider. I can get 20’ if needed. My spacing is roughly 40” between steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich1201 View Post

It was my first time messing with climbing sticks. When I go to play with the set up again I'll push my spacing a little more. I'm only about 5'8" so not sure what I'll max them out at.

Comment

Hunting in Illinois, I try to hunt at least 20' and usually closer to 25-30'.

Comment

Originally posted by Cberry View Post
                              It was my first time messing with climbing sticks. When I go to play with the set up again I'll push my spacing a little more. I'm only about 5'8" so not sure what I'll max them out at.
                              I'm 5'8' too. 3 sticks 16' - 4 sticks 20' (CAYG aider) all day and safely....

Comment

Working...
                              X